XBMC or not?
Hi all,

I have been playing with XBMC since it very first days as a Mediaplayer on the XBOX1 and I always have been very impressed with it.

Today, with the evolution of mediaplayers and the importance their taking in a home cinema setup I'm facing some dilemma where I would like your opinion.
I'm in the process of converting all my media to MKV, over 300 blu-ray discs are converted with no compression to MKV using makemkv and stored on several Synology NAS devices. (Over 15TB for the moment)

I have actually 2 systems running, 1 is a Dune HD Max and the other one an EeePC Asus 1012 with XBMC.
The Dune is giving me superb image and sound quality, all codecs supported, even DTS-Master and Dolby-HD but the interface is boring. It is possible to make the interface better using Zapitti but it's a cumbersome task.
The XBMC box has a great interface, you can't get better then that, the automated library updates are excellent but the sound and image quality aren't the best of this world. Some MKV files are showing bugs and not all the audio codecs are supported (or they are downsampled).

So either I remain with the Dune and it's superb image/sound quality, either I go with XBMC and it's superb interface and possibilities.

Isn't there a way to combine both, having an XBMC, perfectly silent, supporting all formats without downsampling and the ease of use of the Dune (boot straight into XBMC like XBMC-Live, I'm saying this as XBMC on Win7 supports DTS-MA but won't boot straight into XBMC like the live does).

What do you think?
I don`t know where you get your information, but it`s kinda wrong.
XBMC can be made to start-up after Windows boots like any other Windows app, just plac the XBMC shortcut in the start menu under the "Startup" folder.
XBMC can replace the Windows shell (Windows GUI), like any other app. Basically the same ideea as XBMC Live
XBMC under Windows does not support DTS-HD atm. It reads and bitstreams the "core" DTS track, it doesn`t downsample anything. The new Audio Engine will allow DTS-HD and TrueHD bistreaming, when Eden comes out (faster that that actually, because it`s going to be merged in the nightly builds before Eden)
You can use an external player like Media Player Classic Home Cinema + MadVR + LAV CUVID/LAV Filters if you feel that it improves PQ.
Thanks for these clarifications, appreciated Wink

So I'll hold off for a moment with upgrades.
http://www.hdlandblog.com/2011/09/ifa-20...p8910.html

Dune HD with Sigma Designs SMP8910

Wink
Xbox Debug Kit + 2 Xbox Crystal / 2 ATV with Crystal HD => Many thanks to Davilla
Im new to XBMC. Just build a HTPC using a 1156 board and i3 550, on board HD graphics. I also just bought a Yamaha RX-V571 connected to my 40" 120Hz LCD 1080p. i stumbled on to XBMC totally by accident. It has taken me about 30 days to set it up with all my media and learn the program.

I find it works well with my remotes, plays DTS, Dolby Digital after configuring the sound with CCCP codex and ffdshow. Im truly amazed with this program. I cant believe how well it works and sounds great. Looking forward to learning more. Smile
Jetster Wrote:CCCP codex and ffdshow

You actually don't need either of those...
I was wondering about comments that XBMC doesn't have the picture quality of some other players. Is that true for full 1080P BluRay rips or is it just for DVD upscaling?
TugboatBill Wrote:I was wondering about comments that XBMC doesn't have the picture quality of some other players. Is that true for full 1080P BluRay rips or is it just for DVD upscaling?
Comments from where?
Your picture quality (PQ) will be as good as your TV, Your graphics renderer (graphics card), and the source video. If any of these suck, so will your PQ.
Secondly, the default media player for can be changed to another one. So really any comments about PQ related specifically to XBMC in of itself are not well founded.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
taalas Wrote:You actually don't need either of those...

Thanks, im learning

As far as picture quality I was concerned so I did a side by side with XBMC and my onboard HD graphics and my other computer with a 6870 grahics and no XBMC and I could not tell the difference. Confirming that not only XBMC delivers but you dont need a $200 graphics card ether
Jetster Wrote:As far as picture quality I was concerned so I did a side by side with XBMC and my onboard HD graphics and my other computer with a 6870 grahics and no XBMC and I could not tell the difference. Confirming that not only XBMC delivers but you dont need a $200 graphics card ether
That's right, a $40 graphics card can do it Nod
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
outatouch0 Wrote:Comments from where?
Read post #1 in this thread. Rolleyes

outatouch0 Wrote:Your picture quality (PQ) will be as good as your TV, Your graphics renderer (graphics card), and the source video. If any of these suck, so will your PQ.
Secondly, the default media player for can be changed to another one. So really any comments about PQ related specifically to XBMC in of itself are not well founded.

I'm asking about XBMC's video player. Asking about XBMC's video quality using another player would be stupid. So the question stands - Does the quality comments about XBMC apply to 1080P bluray rips, DVD upscaling, or both? Manub?
I think outatouch0 refers to the fact, that the piece of software that is decoding your video file inside XMBC can be switched to something else, which makes his point a valid one. I guess you are referring to the "standard" XBMC decoder though...
Okay re-read post 1 Oo. Okay so fair enough you are refering to his comments. I took what you said to mean something like in general reputation on the web or something. My mistake.
There are various settings which should bring out improvement in picture rendering even with the default player. Also the hardware could be playing a part in the OP's situation IDK. Most people, myself included, never have PQ issues at all. Those that do usually get it ironed out.
As for the default player, taalas seems to have explained it better than I did so, stupid or not, we can leave it at that.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC or not?0