Server Build Review
So I currently have a server running off of spare parts, but I would like to make a more permanent solution.

I am just going to be using this to store my media and run SB/CP/SAB as well as the MySQL DB for xbmc. I have made the decision to run Windows 7 on the server, and use a program called snapraid (similar in a sense to unraid, with a twist). It has its advantages and disadvantages over unraid, but I won't get into that here.

Bottom line, I am stuck between a few builds:

Build 1:
Case - AZZA Helios 910
Power - CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-P45T-ES3G LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU - Intel Celeron E3400 Wolfdale 2.6GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core
RAM - Kingston ValueRAM 2GB DDR3 SDRAM

Total cost = 287.48

Build 2:
Case - AZZA Helios 910
Power - CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Mobo - ASUS M4A88T-M LE AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU - AMD Athlon II X2 250 Processor
RAM - Kingston ValueRAM 2GB DDR3 SDRAM

Total cost = 300.04

You will notice that the only difference between the two builds are the mobo & cpu. I was going to go with Intel Celeron 430 Conroe-L 1.8GHz 512KB L2 Cache LGA 775 35W Single-Core Processor but was scared off when I read in another thread that it might not be able to handle running SB/CP/SAB MySQL DB & Windows 7. I liked that processor alot mostly because it is cheap, and it consumes very little power.

Right now I am partial to the intel build, only because it is cheaper. Any thoughts or areas that I might be overlooking?

I am planning on upgrading both builds with more sata ports with this card plus another pcie x1 sata card to max out at 15 drives.
any thoughts?
well, i think you've read my unRAID guide here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104489 ?

the best Entry-Level unRAID server is hard to beat Tongue

only thing u need to change is the CPU and RAM
since you wanna run sick/couch/sab on it ,,,,,

the ATHLON X2 250 is perfect for the job!
and 2GB of ram is also perfect for the job!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Server Build Review0