New HTPC and NAS - help spend my money!
xm41907 Wrote:You're building your own HTPC but list a Windows upgrade. You can't use that on a new system directly. You'll have to install a full windows OS first.
Actually you can use it for a clean install. Nod You simply have to install it twice. Do some google on it to get the correct instructions. Tweak Guide Tweaking Companion gives good instructions as to how to do it.
Cool
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
dfis4 Wrote:Thanks BluRay -

Why SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB vs MSI N520GT-MD1GD3/LP GeForce GT 520? Are there many extra benefits choosing one over the other

Sorry if this is an obvious question!
it seems that one of the guy in here is having a tough time getting his gt520 to playback dts-ma. HD 6570 2GB is more powerful than the very famous GT 430 too (GeForce GT 430 vs Radeon HD 6570 (OEM) 2GB).

gt 520 didn't score very well in benchmarck comparison either. it's a lot lower benchmark than gt 430a nd hd 6570 (High End Video Card Chart)

i like the ati catalyst control center than nvidia control center too. the "smooth playback" option in ati catalyst control center seems to handle bd 1080P (iso/m2ts/mkv) with dts-hd and truehd in my htpc's with ease. eventhough i don't have gt 520 in my htpc, but i do have gt 430 in one of my htpc. it has slight stutter once in a great while (not all the time) playback hd contents in netflix and directv2pc, and i don't have any stutter with my radeon 5570 and 6570 htpc's.

i'm not trying to convince you to go with radeon 6570, but i'm just offering my humble option. if you are happy with gt 520 spec and price, please give it a shot!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
HD 6570 2GB FTW! I looked into it.... If I was going ATI yes! why not! It's a little pricey but should come down in price soon. Buy hey it's you mula spend it the way you want I know I do.

I had a GT430.... loved it... but returned since the HDMI port was all the way on the side and could not hook up my cable to it correctly.

I love cards that have the HDMI in the center....
xm41907 Wrote:good point. I'm fine with a max of 4TB so these are perfect for my needs. I guess it all depends on what your needs are.

Note that the DS211j supports 2x3TB disks, so you get 6TB in total or 3TB in RAID.
Balinus Wrote:Note that the DS211j supports 2x3TB disks, so you get 6TB in total or 3TB in RAID.

Thank you for that. That is def an option to consider now.. I believe Synology devices can run sickbeard and couch potato and SAB as well am I right on my assumption?
bluray Wrote:since you're planning to playback hd audio/video, i'm suggesting the graphic card below:

SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB or SAPPHIRE 100323L Radeon HD 6570 1GB

Im sorry but, this is Total non-sense to me,,,,
Yes they seem like great cards but,
his GT520 will suit his needs %110,,,
it'll bitstream 7.1 hd-audio + it'll play 1080P flawlessly,,,,
no need to pay more here,,, not at all,,,,

sorry for being late to the party!!
#1. have you checked how much the INTEL Pentium G840 would cost you?
#2. i strongly suggest you this SSD: Corsair Force 2.5" SATAII Trim Read:280MB/s Write:270MB/s
#3. i strongly suggest you to avoid G.SKiLL RAM,,, i would buy these: HyperX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333 CL7
#4. the ASUS GT430 is $39.99 after MIR!! Can'T beat that!!
#5. I'm a GIGABYTE GA-H61M-S2-B3 LGA-1155 μATX fan!!

~ Hope this helps Smile ~
eskro Wrote:his GT520 will suit his needs %110,,,
it'll bitstream 7.1 hd-audio + it'll play 1080P flawlessly,,,,
i said give it a shot. if he can confirm that it can playback bd (iso/m2ts/mkv) with dts-hd ma and truehd using the "two ways to enjoy dts-hd/truehd" in my signature flawless, i'll agreed with you on it. oh, if he have access to internet streaming netflix hd, he can try it too (if you bizarre food show, i'm recommending it because they have great hd shows on netflix).
bluray Wrote:i said give it a shot. if he can confirm that it can playback bd (iso/m2ts/mkv) with dts-hd ma and truehd i'll agreed with you on it.

and whats the hype about Bluray ISO's now?
XBMC doesnt play them natively.....
keeping the ISO format is for those who like the menus and bonus's and stuff,,,
Things that XBMC will never play,,,
not because it can't,
but because XBMC would have to become a PayWare,,,,,
You need a license for playing BD menus,,,,
ESKRO, thanks for feedback....lots of options!

#1. Why do you suggest INTEL Pentium G840 over the G620? The cost isn't massively different between the two.

#2. The kingston has trim feature too and is 64gb, why should I consider Corsair Force 2.5" with 40gb over the kingston?

#3. i strongly suggest you to avoid G.SKiLL RAM,,, i would buy these: HyperX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333 CL7 - Is there something wrong with g.skill ram?

#4. the ASUS GT430 is $39.99 after MIR!! Can'T beat that!! Is the GT430 better than the GT 520?

#5. I'm a GIGABYTE GA-H61M-S2-B3 LGA-1155 μATX fan!! Is this better than the MSI H61M-E33 (B3), if so, in what areas?

Again thanks Eskro and everyone else who has provided feedback. Hope to settle on a final configuration soon and let you guys know how I get on!
eskro Wrote:and whats the hype about Bluray ISO's now?
XBMC doesnt play them natively.....
not because it can't,
iso is the best way to preserve everything from the original bd. pre-eden in my signature playback bd iso natively without the messy playercorefactory for external media player!
#1.
G620 CPU BenchMark
G840 CPU BenchMark
is the difference is $10, i think its worth it!!

#2.
40GB is plenty enough for Win7 and it has the TRIM feature too!
not to mention, its read and write speeds are definitely better then on the Kingston!!

#3.
Based on experienced, G.SKiLL ram is troublesome,,,
About %50 of the time you get a bad stick...
Ask PoofyHairGuy if he would buy G.SKiLL ram Tongue
You can also ask Beer40onze if he would buy G.SKiLL again Tongue
I know i won't!!
Good Luck!

#4.
The GT430 is indeed a little better than the GT 520!!
its has a 128-Bit memory interface instead of 64-Bit like the GT520...
and the GT430 has 96 Stream Processors instead of 48 like the GT520...
and at $40, you can't go wrong!
the GT430 is considered the best HTPC card hands down!

#5.
Well, i just pointed out that i like Gigabyte,,
im not saying MSI is terrible here,,,
Its just that i've seen rarely Gigabyte motherboards getting RMA'ed...
thats all,,,
so thats why i suggest them strongly,,,,
specially since the GIGABYTE GA-H61M-S2-B3 is priced the same as your MSI,,,,

~hope this helps~ Smile
Never will buy G Sucks.... I had a couple of sticks that went bad.... Cold boots of death..... Kingston is the way to go.....
Beer40oz Wrote:Never will buy G Sucks.... I had a couple of sticks that went bad.... Cold boots of death..... Kingston is the way to go.....

told ya Tongue
bluray Wrote:iso is the best way to preserve everything from the original bd. pre-eden in my signature playback bd iso natively without the messy playercorefactory for external media player!

not because it can't,
eskro Wrote:keeping the ISO format is for those who like the menus and bonus's and stuff,,,
not because it can't,
i'm one of those people...pre-eden in my signature can playback iso natively flawless on the 4 htpc's that i built so far and i received emails from users that have successfully used it too.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HTPC and NAS - help spend my money!0