Problems with SMB since nightly 20110822
Hi,

Since the nightly 20110822, I can not connect to my SMB share drives anymore.
Everything is working well if I revert back to 20110820.

Am I the only one with this problem ?

Thanks,

Eric
Hi Eric,

my smb connection works fine with the 22.08.2011 nigthly. I added a NFS to my windows7 server for testing and both works fine. If you want to try: haneWIN NFS Server -> http://www.hanewin.de/doc/nfs/nfsd.htm

Or try the newest 30.08.2011 build -> http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/darwin/atv2/

Best regards
Thanks but I'm not sure that my NAS is able to do NFS (or at least I don't know how to configure it. it's a D-Link DNS 323).

SMB is working perfectly with all the nightlies until 20110820 but not with any nightly after 20110820. (20110822 till 20110830) Sad
Was there a solution to this? I have the same problem.

Cannot access SMB shares after upgrading to 8/31 build.

Revert to old build,08/08, and everything is good again.
It would be helpful to fully describe your setup. samba was just bumped from 3.5.6 to 3.6.0.
davilla Wrote:It would be helpful to fully describe your setup. samba was just bumped from 3.5.6 to 3.6.0.

OK - I have a linux box running Ubuntu and Samba v 3.5.8 which serves shares to my ATV2 and old Xbox both running XBMC. The linux box is the main file server with other boxes primarily accessing it,but also offering shares.

I had been accessing the shares using samba, since the linux box is on a network with windows machines. After upgrading from the 8/08 nightly to the 8/31 nightly, I found that I couldn't access the shares via SMB on the ATV2. Attempting to access the stored shares would result in a timeout message. Downgrading restored access via SMB, The xbox is fine during all this, nothing had changed on the Linux box.

I have found a workaround tonight. I can access my linux box shares on the ATV2 via UPnP using the 8/31 nightly - so that works for me.

Browsing around in the add shares menu.

SMB: empty - no computers shown - although I have a Windows 7 machine offering shares and the Linux box offering SAMBA shares.

UPnP : Linux box and Windows shares available.

ZeroConf: OSX machine (ITunes) shows. Interestingly with (SAMBA) next to computer name. (I have a mac on the network also accessing the windows and linux box shares and sharing one of its drives)

NFS: No shares shown. Also weird because I have a SUN box also on the network that accesses the linux box via NFS with no problems.

Hope that helps..

Edit: Just for clarity, the reason UPnP works on my Linux box is because it is running uShare, a UPnP server.
All under 'WORKGROUP' ?
Yes - They all are under the same "WORKGROUP" name.

Although I did notice that the 08/08 build doesn't seem to mind not setting the workgroup name, it still can access the SAMBA shares.
rodan Wrote:Browsing around in the add shares menu.

SMB: empty - no computers shown - although I have a Windows 7 machine offering shares and the Linux box offering SAMBA shares.

[EDIT] Never mind - My post not helpful cuz I read this wrong...
Ozymandyaz Wrote:[EDIT] Never mind - My post not helpful cuz I read this wrong...

OK - I have found the problem.

The smb.conf on my linux box had a line in it to force it to NetBIOS over TCP/IP;

smb ports = 139

I did this a while back to support an old Windows ME box. The Windows ME box is long gone, I deleted the line and restarted SAMBA on the linux box.

Now SAMBA is on the default port 445 and my SAMBA shares show up on the ATV2.
Apparently the old 08/08 ATV2 build supported SAMBA on both ports 139 and 445.
In the 08/31 build, it appears XBMC has dropped SMB support for NetBIOS over TCP/IP on port 139.
Nice find, we had no clue Smile

EDIT: Should be fixed in https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/5430...b8701442c3

Since you can trip the issue, care to test once the nightly churns out ?
Sure..I can test it when the build hits, it's the least I can do.

Thanks.
' Wrote:Since you can trip the issue, care to test once the nightly churns out ?

I am happy to report that everything seems to be fine now.
I installed the build below and am able to access my shares using SAMBA on port 139 as well as the default port.

xbmc-20110904-a2098db-master-atv2.deb 05-Sep-2011 11:14

Thanks!
Great, thanks for testing Smile
Hi,

I'm sorry to come back with my problem but I can still not connect to my smb drives since after nightly 20110820.

I keep getting permission denied. I'm pretty sure of my password as it is working fine with version 02110820 but no more with any later version. (trying existing source, trying to add a new source).

You find a debug log here: http://pastebin.com/kFAHz1R6.

My SMB drive is a NAS D-LINK DNS 323.

I realy hope you can help me as this is driving me crazy.
Should you need any additional info, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems with SMB since nightly 201108220