Newbie - HTPC build
Hi guys I'm new to the forum and need some good advice.

I've been using my xbox with mod running XBMC for years but it has decided to stop working Sad

But time has come to upgrade and I've decided to build a HTPC xbmc.
I've done a bit of research and decided upon the components below. Now please dont shoot me down as I understand it may be a overkill. The plan is to use the HTPC solely as a media centre so no gaming for me. The reason for the specific mobo and cpu is is based on finding a GOOD MB and a CPU that can handle onboard HDMI. Selecting a H67 intel board is based on latest tech with longer upgrade path.

Please advise if this combo is adequate or completely an overkill.

[CPU+HSF] Intel CPU i3 2100
[MOBO] Asus P8H67-M EVO
[GPU] onboard
[RAM] Corsair Memory XMS3 8GB DDR3 1333 Mhz CAS 9
[SSD] 60GB SSD Corsair Force Series 3 Series SATA III
[CASE+PSU] Silverstone GD05B Grandia Micro-ATX Case w/o PSU and Antec EarthWatts Green EA 380D 380W Power Supply
[HDD] 2TB wd
[WiFi] -
[KEYBOARD] TBC
[MOUSE] TBC

In the short term I'm planning to connect the HTPC to my CRT flatscreen TV using a Grand Hand View III universal VGA/ PC to TV converter which I already own. Any views on this? I may treat myself with a LCD flatscreen for xmas
Get 16GB of RAM just to be sure.
mr.sparkle Wrote:Get 16GB of RAM just to be sure.

Why not 32GB while you are at it... Oo
cheers guys LOL
Welcome aboard.

Just checking - did you start here before you came up with your list?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=8...post843683

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94199
Group 6

I do understand eskro's groupings. I just want something that is future proof. But I do feel that I may be spending unnecessary money on components that may not provide any real benefits.

Driver 944 Wrote:Welcome aboard.

bulletjie Wrote:[CPU+HSF] Intel CPU i3 2100
[MOBO] Asus P8H67-M EVO
[GPU] onboard
[RAM] Corsair Memory XMS3 8GB DDR3 1333 Mhz CAS 9
[CASE+PSU] Silverstone GD05B Grandia Micro-ATX Case w/o PSU and Antec EarthWatts Green EA 380D 380W Power Supply
[HDD] 2TB wd
[WiFi] -
[KEYBOARD] TBC
[MOUSE] TBC
it has very similar spec as what i have in my signature. it looks okay to me, and you'll enjoy it. if you have money, it is always better to have an overkill htpc! Laugh
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Driver 944 Wrote:Welcome aboard.

+1
Bluray gave it a thumbs up, so if you are comfortable spending the money you are in the right direction. (I don't understand why you need 8gb of Ram)

A few things jumped out while reading your posts. You want to build a hi-performance computer, and connect it to a adapter that connects to a old TV. Maybe you will buy a new LCD Flatscreen for Christmas.
Why not get the best of both worlds before Christmas?

Did you see this? http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=101570 Post #2. This is adequate.
Build this, save the difference and wait till Black Friday to buy a TV. Save big money.

If you have friends and family, someone is always interested in what you have the minute they see it on your TV. I have 2 people willing to purchase my current set up when I decide to upgrade, both are disappointed they missed the first one. They don't care the components you use or how difficult or how long it took to build, they like what they see. The more affordable the price, the faster it sells. Only drawback, you may become tech-support .......

Jan/Feb the prices of current components may/will drop. You want a Intel i3. Wait just a little longer, Ivy Bridge will be right around the corner. Current prices fall again. What will you do with a used i3?
There will be more powerful things to come if you can wait. Current prices will fall (hope I'm right). The new release of XBMC Eden is getting close, that may affect how you spend your money also, you may want to look at that.

Anyhow, just a few thoughts to stretch your budget and still get what you want. I have the idea the "Perfect HTPC" is a myth. Just when you think you got it right, something new hits the market or you read a post where someone comes up with a better mouse trap. I consider myself middle of the road user. Simple works for me. Keeps the wallet gaining weight.
Thanks Driver 944 for your post! Don’t get me started on buying a flat screen TV LOL. There is far too many to choose from and I’m sure I’ll spend ages pondering which one to buy!

I’m not sure about building a ITX based system. Just too many factors to consider. I like the rack sized enclosures and flexibility of the micro ATX form factor.

I've taken on board what everyone are saying, so I've tweaked my proposed setup a little. I've chosen a MB that has SATA3 to take advantage of the newer SSD card and speed. Will I see an real advantage of going SATA3?

So my spec is as follows

[CPU+HSF] Intel Pentium G840, Socket 1155, Dual Core, 2.80GHz and Scythe Shuriken Rev.B Quiet Low Profile Cooler
£59.81 for CPU and £26.03 for HSF
[MOBO] Asus P8H61-M PRO
£69.13
[GPU]512MB EVGA GT 430
£44.38
[RAM] Corsair Memory 4GB DDR3 1333 Mhz CAS 9
£39.36
£77.52
[CASE+PSU] Silverstone GD05B Grandia Micro-ATX Case w/o PSU £59.98
and 430W PSU, Antec EarthWatts Power Supply
£46.78
[HDD] 2TB wd
[WiFi] -
[KEYBOARD] TBC
[MOUSE] TBC

Total price without SSD and RAM = £307
with SSD and RAM = £422.99

Again your comments are appreciated!

Jaco
bulletjie Wrote:Don’t get me started on buying a flat screen TV LOL. There is far too many to choose from and I’m sure I’ll spend ages pondering which one to buy!

Easy, just go with a Panasonic plasma Nod

More seriously, it has been easier to buy a new TV than to shop for a HTPC.
SATA III for an HTPC is an absolute waste.
well you'll see improved boot ups thats for sure.....
of course, if using a SATAIII SSD....
eskro Wrote:well you'll see improved boot ups thats for sure.....
of course, if using a SATAIII SSD....

+1

Cost a lot extra to shave a few seconds off the boot time ........ that's all you really get. Please remember we are talking about a HTPC.

Anytime a SATA III SSD, with a SandForce SF-2200 controller is discussed you will find reference to nothing but problems. I would very strongly suggest you research this before you buy one. And purchase a hard drive to use while the SSD is out for replacement. You will thank me later. Look carefully!

There are Sata2 SandForce SSD on the market that are STILL plagued with problems. That didn't stop them from coming out with a faster drive that doesn't work.

Smart money is going with something already recommend here, and there is still no guarantee you won't have problems. Some SSD are just buggy the day they were assembled. [cough ... ocz ...cough]
OCZ is for BSOD lovaz Tongue

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie - HTPC build0