GT430 or GT520 for HP Microserver Build?
I'm in need for a low profile GPU for my HP Microserver running Amahi Home Server(Fedora/Linux), PVR software and XBMC.

Even though I do not have a 3D tv I would like to future proof it for 3D movies.

I HAVE read this thread but couldn't find a definite answer to my question...

Requirements:
  • Low profile
  • Low power (On the motherboard it says 25W beside the PCIe slot), I'm not sure if this is their recommendation or the max output of the slot.
  • Low Idle power consumption, as i Assume it will IDLE when not playing movies and running PVR?

Other stuff:
I've installed a PicoPSU- 120w to decrease the IDLE power consumption by a few watts. Specs of PicoPSU
I still have the org. PSU which I think is rated 200W.

Thanks guys!
the 430 has a TDP of 47W while the 520 has a TDP of 29W, therefore their peak consumption is over 25W. The only card that is below is the 210.

Also with a PicoPSU I would definitely not install a 430 or 520, they both require 300W PSUs according to Nvidia.
I'm fully aware of the TDPs of these cards and it's correct that the requirement sheet declares they need a 300W PSU but I have seen other people using the ATI 5450 on the HP Microserver and it requires a 400W PSU according to AMD - Link

So I'm kinda confused...
cem2ran Wrote:I'm fully aware of the TDPs of these cards and it's correct that the requirement sheet declares they need a 300W PSU but I have seen other people using the ATI 5450 on the HP Microserver and it requires a 400W PSU according to AMD - Link

So I'm kinda confused...

It's because of the max. Amps provided on the various voltages. especially a PicoPSU has quite low Amp ratings on the individual 3V / 5V / 12V rails.

Basically with the standard 200W PSU you should be able to run a 520, but with the PicoPSU you can only use a Geforce 210 (which does HD 1080p perfectly fine, it's identical to a ION2).
i have one gt 430 in my mini-itx htpc. it work fine with 250w psu. you can check the power consumption chart here- power consumption chart

you can review card benchmark here- High End Video Card Chart. gt 520 seem to score very low.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
ion_man Wrote:the 430 has a TDP of 47W while the 520 has a TDP of 29W, therefore their peak consumption is over 25W. The only card that is below is the 210.
The TDP is only the rated max power of the card which is almost always much higher that its actual peak power consumption. For the record the TDP of the G210 is 30.5 watts which is actually more than the 520. I used to have a G210 in my HTPC (which included two 3.5" HDDs at the time) powered by my 150w picoPSU & 102w AC adapter and it worked just fine - that's right it worked fine using a 100w PSU. I would say that the power consumption of the 520 is as good or better than the 210. If your rig can handle a G210 then it should also be able to handle the GT520.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
maybe you can take a look into this thread and find some useful informations.

you should definitly not take a GT430 cause it's about 35W higher than HPs specs. Link

GT520 altough it's 4W higher than HPs spec rated @25W should do fine or a GT210 anyway as it's below the 25W.

but this is all related to the normal 200W power supply. with your picu psu the only card i would try is the GT210 to be on the safer side.

questions: can you tell us how high your idle power consumption is with your picu psu ?
Thanks guys, I think I'll go with the GT520 which i understand can accomplish the same tasks as the GT430 HTPC-wise but with lower power consumption?

As to the PicoPSU, the reason why I'm using it is mainly because I have two of them laying around and I got them for a bargain... They will probably be used in another build if they can't run the HP Microserver with 4 disks and a GPU...

And for those wondering if its worth it i can say it pretty much is here in Denmark we pay almost 40¢ per kWh.
The IDLE power consumption with one disk spinning is around 25W running Linux(Fedora 14)... I have heard somewhere that running Windows might lower this.
EDIT: I found a solution to the 25w power problem!!! This little device will give more power to the pci-e bus by plugging the other pci-e 1 slot into a molex connector. Now we can possibly manage a gt530! or higher? and do gt220 gt 430 with ease
EVGA Power Boost
Im going to give it ago with a 430

This bloke seems to have installed a 430 without issue, its twice as fast as the 520. the 220 is another option but the 430 uses less power.

Origonal in japanese

translated to some degree

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GT430 or GT520 for HP Microserver Build?0