Server OS suggestions
Hi Guys

I'm looking for a little help/advice in setting up a server.

My current set up is 2 HTPC's running XBMClive and an AppleTV2 also running XBMC. I have all my data stored on a Terastation Live 4TB (upgraded from 1TB). I also have a "download" server (a VIA 800mhz mini-itx system) running Ubuntu Server (no desktop) Sickbeard, CouchPotato, Headphones, SABNZBD+, Subsonic and Media Frontpage.

I managed to get hold of a HP Proliant Microserver for reasonably cheap. My idea is that I would have the download server and maybe MYSQL reside on the drive that comes with it (160GB) and set up a RAID 5 array with 4 x 250GB drives (from my Terastation) for my music and pictures therefore freeing up more space on the NAS for HD Movies.

I was thinking about just running Ubuntu Server but is that overkill for this setup? Would UNRAID or FreeNas be a better option for me?
to serve as a media Server, unRAID is hard to beat...
eskro Wrote:to serve as a media Server, unRAID is hard to beat...

Any particular reason? How easy would it be to install the apps I currently use on it?
If you're comfortable with ubuntu server, just use it. It'll give you far more flexibility then either freeNAS or unRAID. The default server install is quite lean to begin with.
dan1son Wrote:If you're comfortable with ubuntu server, just use it. It'll give you far more flexibility then either freeNAS or unRAID. The default server install is quite lean to begin with.

Great will setting up the RAID 5 array be difficult? I only started using Ubuntu this year and am quite comfortable with the things I've learnt but never set up a RAID array before
brownbear1984 Wrote:Great will setting up the RAID 5 array be difficult? I only started using Ubuntu this year and am quite comfortable with the things I've learnt but never set up a RAID array before

Not really. I'm not sure about the micrserver, but if it's hardware RAID you don't do any of that setup in Ubuntu anyway. Once it's setup Ubuntu just thinks it's a drive and away you go.

Otherwise, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Instal...ftwareRAID

It's fairly straight forward.
dan1son Wrote:Not really. I'm not sure about the micrserver, but if it's hardware RAID you don't do any of that setup in Ubuntu anyway. Once it's setup Ubuntu just thinks it's a drive and away you go.

Otherwise, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Instal...ftwareRAID

It's fairly straight forward.

Cool thanks for the link does it matter that I want to install Ubuntu on a seperate disk to the array?
Not really... you can just follow the standard ubuntu server install then setup the RAID partition later on with mdadm (command line tool) or if you're installing a GUI use the built in Disk Utility. Plenty of how-tos around.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Server OS suggestions0