Zotac releases ZBOX nano
HwyXingFrog Wrote:Too bad it is AMD and can't easily do hardware decoding in Ubuntu/Live, and would have to install Windows + XBMC to be able to properly decode HD video.

Unless I'm out of the loop, I'm pretty sure Nvidia GF8xxx and newer (ION etc) is the only to do proper HD hardware decoding on XBMC Live.

Shame if this is true, because it otherwise looks like the perfect Openelec HTPC (built in IR remote, USB3, the price!)

Does Openelec not have a build for AMD?
bluray Wrote:let me repeat- if they think ahead, they could have made the box slightly bigger or configured it differently with horizontal pci slot. if they want to include it, they'll find way to do it.

as the other guy said, they are trying to keep the price down and the box small. that is why they don't want to include extra option in it.

if they want to satisfy a guy (like me), they could have built it some other way!

What are you smoking?

It is a ZBox Nano, the whole idea behind the product is that it is a smaller device compared to the existing Zbox nettops.

It is like saying that Apple should put a 7" screen on their iPod Nano, so they can satisfy a guy who likes 7" screens.
jdbrookes Wrote:Shame if this is true, because it otherwise looks like the perfect Openelec HTPC (built in IR remote, USB3, the price!)

Does Openelec not have a build for AMD?

http://techreport.com/articles.x/21556/4
greetings, Stephan

voochi Wrote:What are you smoking?
you can forget about me smoking anything because i don't smoke. if you ask me what i have been drinking, it might work!

voochi Wrote:It is a ZBox Nano, the whole idea behind the product is that it is a smaller device compared to the existing Zbox nettops.
that is why i agreed with the other guy that they don't want to make the box bigger because they want to keep it small and keep the price down. i wouldn't be surprise to see more powerful small form factor gpu in one of this in the near future either. during my 20+ years in high tech, i have been working with giant silicon die to merely finger nail size. every npi is getting smaller and more capable than ever!

voochi Wrote:It is like saying that Apple should put a 7" screen on their iPod Nano, so they can satisfy a guy who likes 7" screens.
you can forget about me talking about apple because i never own one.

it's more like- should i get the 4" samsung galaxy vibrant or 7" samsung galaxy tab? yes, there is one for me- the more powerful 7" version!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Anyone has bought a Zbox Nano and can share first hand whether / how well it works? From what I understand, it is supposed to easily play 1080p and even ouput full-HD audio, but no 3D half-SBS w/o HW acceleration. Big question will be menu transition / aeon?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Pretty sure this is not released yet (at least U.S.), I believe it comes out on 09/09/2011. Saw somewhere that the price was $280 w/ a 320gig hdd, forget the included ram. Barebones was supposed to be $230.
EndiSky Wrote:Pretty sure this is not released yet (at least U.S.), I believe it comes out on 09/09/2011. Saw somewhere that the price was $280 w/ a 320gig hdd, forget the included ram. Barebones was supposed to be $230.
the prices are mentioned here- Zotac's Zbox Nano AD10 Plus nettop
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
OP. Here you might consider adding this link to the first post...
But here is a good review, bunch of tests, partial tear down, and some really high quality pics...
http://www.kitguru.net/desktop-pc/zardon...us-review/

anyone know whats connected to the usb port here? Extra ir receiver maybe?
http://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/upload...C_2722.jpg
fnc1 Wrote:anyone know whats connected to the usb port here? Extra ir receiver maybe?
http://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/upload...C_2722.jpg

Yes that thing is ugly ...

I hope it's the bluetooth module, defeats the purpose of the onboard IR
that's a IR receiver also. It has a dual IR receiver... I suppose to fit everybody: those that can use the integrated one, and those you have to use an external one (because of placement of the HTCP).
Op:

Others have posted this link also... but adding it to the first post would be cool...
In this review they go over some of speed testing,
http://techreport.com/articles.x/21556/1

they have it running XBMC (which is why were all here after all) via openelec
on page 4, about 3/4 the way down the page..
http://techreport.com/articles.x/21556/4

Seems like their only complaints were:
The headphone output doesn't work,
Neither does the front-panel IR port.

But....
The remote is functional using the IR dongle
and I had no problem getting audio piped to my TV over HDMI
WOW...cute toy, but for my son!...lol Whomever picks this one up I'm interested in how long they would last B4 pulling thier hair out trying to navigate through a Skin like AEON and what's with this benchmark score? And wait... 1080p?.. this is not ION based GFX, in fact , scores lower than 2nd gen ION?? Why pay over a few hundred for somthing like this when you can build one way better..NoI'm just sayin'
CpTHOOK Wrote:Whomever picks this one up I'm interested in how long they would last B4 pulling thier hair out trying to navigate through a Skin like AEON and what's with this benchmark score? And wait... 1080p?.. this is not ION based GFX, in fact , scores lower than 2nd gen ION?? Why pay over a few hundred for somthing like this when you can build one way better..NoI'm just sayin'

at least for xbmc its more then enough
greetings, Stephan

CpTHOOK Wrote:WOW...cute toy, but for my son!...lol

Not sure whether this will be the only target group. Basically, there may be a big market for it. The device is completely silent (no fan, SSD drive optional) and should be able to do almost everything.

CpTHOOK Wrote:Whomever picks this one up I'm interested in how long they would last B4 pulling thier hair out trying to navigate through a Skin like AEON

This is indeed the most interesting question. With XBMC-Eden (dirty regions), an SSD drive, and DDS-fanart, I have some hopes though. Looking for someone to try it out.

CpTHOOK Wrote:And wait... 1080p?.. this is not ION based GFX, in fact , scores lower than 2nd gen ION??

If I got it right, 1080p should be a non-issue and even audio-full-HD should work.

CpTHOOK Wrote:Why pay over a few hundred for somthing like this when you can build one way better..NoI'm just sayin'

Not sure whether I have seen anything around that it completely silent with such a small form factor. The ATV2 probably comes closest, but doesn't have the power. The MacMini has a nice formfactor as well, but the latest one too many bugs / performance issues.

So, optimizing for small form factor and 100% silence, this may be the best I have seen so far (at any price).
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
steve1977 said....
So, optimizing for small form factor and 100% silence, this may be the best I have seen so far (at any price).

Sure thing boss, sounds like you will be the first to try it out and let us know. Not trying to speak for everyone but I dont think most of us are looking for build the size of cell phone quite yet. Now... if we could build one ourselves the size of a cell phone then maybe. Don't get me wrong it sure looks like a darling piece of kit but its the potential price that has me set back.

Let us know! I think this may be big news if it can put out like ur hoping forWink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac releases ZBOX nano0