Silent HTPC for XBMC Live
Question 
I am looking for a successor of my Acer Revo R3610.
There are 3 requirements from my side:
- it must be fanless
- it must run with XBMC Live flawlessly
- it should be ready for XBMC Live installation out of the box, I do not want to assemble by myself

I think one of these systems should fit my needs:
http://www.mifcom.de/4/74/mini-barebone-...assiv.html

Maximum price I want to pay is 469,- €, so these configurations come into choice:
http://www.mifcom.de/product/705/4/74/mi...assiv.html
http://www.mifcom.de/product/739/4/74/mi...assiv.html
http://www.mifcom.de/product/625/4/74/mi...assiv.html

So which one would you recommend?
Vero 4k+ | OSMC Kodi 19.1
Sony KD-65A1
as of today, dont mix AMD E350 with LInux,,,

why not save some money and buy this http://www.talidoo.com/index.php?page=pr...nfo=122045
Sounds nice, eskro, but it does not meet one requirement: It is not fanless.
There are two reviews at Amazon, both mentioning some noise.

What about the other systems from Mifcom I mentioned? Would XBMC Live run smoothly on them?
Sony KD-65A1
Hi Bobby Blixberg,

have you bought one of these systems from mifcom?
Are they any good? I mean is xbmc running on them flawlessly?
Which remote and receiver do you use?
Can you start the system with the remote?

I am looking for a similar system for my living room and hope you have good news for me. Smile

BR
Frank
Yes, finally I bought this one.
http://www.mifcom.de/product/625/49/75/s...assiv.html

Received it a week ago, installed XBMC Live 10.1 (Dharma) without any issues from a USB stick prepared with unetbootin.
It runs flawlessly.

So I am very satisfied with that solution.

I did not manage to start the system with the remote, but I did not struggle further for it because I do not really need that Wink

I use a Cherry wireless keyboard and this HP remote without any problems:

Sony KD-65A1
That sounds good.
So the only think that makes some noise in this case is the HDD, right?
Probably not that disturbing, I guess, but I think of using a SSD.

Can you do me a favour and check the bios settings/manual?

I used to have a mediacenter build with windows mc. This one was controlable via remote. I couldn't start the system, though, but beside of that everything worked.
Then I figured out, that I need to set a jumber on the board and a setting in the bios, so that I could wake up the system via remote control. The jumper was neccessary for taking care, that the ir receiver had power (I think it was 5 V) when the system was not running.
Maybe your system has a settings like this, then it would fit all my needs and I would buy the same. Smile

Thanks in advance.
Frank
It's an Asus AT5IONT-I
(http://www.asus.de/Motherboards/Intel_CP.../#overview)

Could not find any settings in the AMI-BIOS regarding the remote, and as far as I can see there is only one jumper on the board (for resetting the RTC RAM).
Sony KD-65A1
Star 
Hi,

I checked the asus page and glanced into the manual.
There I found the neccessary information:

Quote:Point 1.6 Jumpers:
2. (top of page 1-7) it says:
Keyboard/mouse power and USB device wake-up (PS2_USBPW1-4)
This jumper allows you to enable or disable the keyboard/mouse and USB port 1-4 wake-up feature. When you set this jumper to pins 2-3 (+5VSB), you can wake up the computer by pressing a key on the keyboard, clicking the mouse or using a USB device. This feature requires an ATX power supply that can supply at least 1A on the +5VSB lead, and corresponding setting in the BIOS. The USBPW1-4 jumper is for the rear USB ports.
3. USB device wake-up (USBPW56)
Set this jumper to +5V to wake up the computer from S1 sleep mode (CPU stopped, DRAM refreshed, system running in low power mode) using the connected USB devices. Set to +5VSB to wake up from S3 and S4 sleep modes (no power to CPU, DRAM in slow refresh, power supply in reduced power mode)
Quote:Point 2.2 BIOS setup program (bottom of page 2-11)
Power On By PME
Allows you to enable or disable PME to generate a wake event. This feature requires an ATX power supply that provides at least 1A on the +5VSB lead.

This should do the trick.

So my next favour would be, if you could check this on your computer.
If you have an ir receiver on usb (back ports 1-4) working, you need to set the jumper for this usb ports and the settings in the BIOS and then it should be able to start the computer from state off with remote.
Would you be so kind to check this for me?
I guess you don't mind if it works for you either. Wink

Thanks in advance
Frank
Okay, changed the jumper near the rear panel first with no effect.
It does not work for the USB keyboard neither.

Are you sure that the "Power on by PME" setting is meant for USB devices, not only for Wake On LAN?

EDIT: Sorry, but I have to say this: Fuck! Side effect of these actions is that the LAN connection is not working any more... :-[
Even the MAC address does not show up...my conclusion is agin: NEVER TOUCH A RUNNING SYSTEM

If you have any hints, please advice...
Sony KD-65A1
Hm, that's weird.
Are you sure the network problem is coming from the jumper switch?
Have you switched the jumper back to the setting before and checked if the lan is back working?
As I mentioned in a post earlier, that this helped with my old mc and didn't change anything with the lan.
Anyway, when I don't misinterprete the manual, than only the USB back ports 1,2,3 and 4 are able to start the computer from state off. The USB front ports are only able to start from S? states.
One thing I could think of is, that the power supply doesn't support enough power (possibly no ATX power supply).
Well anyway, first thing I would suggest is, to put the jumpers back into their original settings, change BIOS settings back and check, if the system works just like it did before you made the changes.
If this doesn't work, maybe you have touched something else, which needs to be pushed back into place.
If this works, than I would suggest only switching the jumper for USB back ports 1,2,3 and 4 and try to start the computer from state off. (If you're still interested and don't worry too much)

BR
Frank
Bobby Blixberg Wrote:I am looking for a successor of my Acer Revo R3610.
There are 3 requirements from my side:
- it must be fanless
- it must run with XBMC Live flawlessly
- it should be ready for XBMC Live installation out of the box, I do not want to assemble by myself

The only machine I know to fit your 3 requirements is the Shuttle XS35GT (there is now a V2!). I am also a huge proponent of fanless (see my sig), I can't believe it's not more popular with the xbmc crowd. I hear a lot of "my machine is silent - I can't even hear it!" type comments - and I laugh my head off. Quiet is great, but silent is something else - and fanless is the only way to get there.
+1 on the shuttle.

Mine runs flawlessly with 2gb ram and a 16gb ssd. All media on a remote server in another room.

1080P all day long without breaking a sweat. Snappy interface and fast decoding, even big files read directly from .RAR files.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Silent HTPC for XBMC Live1