Buying computer today. Help me choose one?
Hello, I'm going to buy a computer today from a retail store. I know people are going to suggest that I buy all the parts and build one, but I'm a total computer noob. Below are the options.

A. http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/hewl...22c27fen02

B. http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/acer...d4f895en02

C. http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/h...fe4066en02

I'm thinking the Athlon II 450 is the best, since it has the 4200 radeon card and the Intel HD Graphics have problems with blu-rays? Thanks. Smile.
What are you intending to do?
Kirky99 Wrote:What are you intending to do?

hook up the computer to my tv via dvi or hdmi, and watch 1080p blu ray movies Smile.
shawnb44 Wrote:hook up the computer to my tv via dvi or hdmi, and watch 1080p blu ray movies Smile.
None of those computers come with a bluray player drive so are you planning to buy one as an addon or watching bluray images? Also, as you mentioned, you would most likely need a separate video cards for Intel HD onboard computers, there's a bunch of threads on the forum with what is the cheapest at the moment. Don't know much about the ATI Radeon HD 4200 as I always used NVIDIA myself so someone else will have to comment on that one. The rest of the specs on those will be fine for a 1080p setup.
Shawn- out of those three choices, i'll go for "B" with i3. you can easily install these two hardwares listed below in it. it'll be your complete blu-ray media center. it should be able to handle bd in 1080p/3d with dts-hd/truehd and internet streaming hd netflix, youtube, vudu, etc too.

1. SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB
2. LG Black 12X BD-ROM
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I would definitely go with the i3 and install a 1080P video card....

GT210
GT430
HD5450
HD6450
I won't be needing a blu-ray drive, as I'll just be watching dled movies from the net. If I don't plan on doing any upgrade, would it be best to go for the system that has the radeon 4200, instead of the Sandybridge one? I want to be able to use dxva. Thanks.
well the the system that has the radeon 4200 will work...

its just that you'd have the best deal in my opinion
if you would buy the i3 one and add a separate GPU card if you need 1080P playback,,,
shawnb44 Wrote:I won't be needing a blu-ray drive, as I'll just be watching dled movies from the net. If I don't plan on doing any upgrade, would it be best to go for the system that has the radeon 4200, instead of the Sandybridge one? I want to be able to use dxva. Thanks.
if that is the case, you can simply add this gpu to the "b" choice- SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB, and you don't need a special skill to install this graphic card. you'll have a powerful htpc, and it should be able to playback everything you throw at it.
he wont see a performance boost using a SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB

totally useless unless he's a gamer,,,,
eskro Wrote:he wont see a performance boost using a SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB

totally useless unless he's a gamer,,,,
trust me, he'll have better playback experience with hd 6570 than the included 4200!
my point is,
he doesnt have to spend $85 to enjoy better playback then an HD4xxx series,,
an HD6450 is perfect and cheap!
http://ow.ly/1tlcmY $31.99 after mail-in rebate
eskro Wrote:my point is,
he doesnt have to spend $85 to enjoy better playback then an HD4xxx series,,
an HD6450 is perfect and cheap!
http://ow.ly/1tlcmY $31.99 after mail-in rebate
i don't dictate how much should the op spend his/her money. i simply suggested a gpu and offered my experienced on it. i have better experienced with hd 6570 than than hd4xxx. he simply can give the hd4xxx a try "as is". if he don't like how it perform, he can always refer back to this thread for upgrade!
Thanks guys, I'm gonna go with the Athlon II 450 - 4200 radeon card. I don't plan on upgrading, and don't want to deal with the dxva problems the intel gpu has. Thanks for the help.
shawnb44 Wrote:Thanks guys, I'm gonna go with the Athlon II 450 - 4200 radeon card. I don't plan on upgrading, and don't want to deal with the dxva problems the intel gpu has. Thanks for the help.
good luck!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buying computer today. Help me choose one?0