NFS Setup Assistance with Synology NAS
I'm getting the following error in the logs when trying to setup LAN NFS sharing from my Synology (running DSM 3.1) to a ATV2 on the 9/3 nightly.
Code:
ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting nfs://192.168.1.23/Movies/
sharing

SMB sharing works, but hiccups with a few mkvs so I wanted to test out NFS. I looked at the wiki here and I have:
- shares for /Movies and /TV on the Synology
- a user 501 on the Synology with access to those two shares
- enabled ssh

I tried to run cat /etc/exports in ssh but nothing is returned by the command

In the ATV2, if I try to create a source, I can see my NAS on 192.168.1.23 but when I click through nothing happens:
Code:
11:20:22 T:67420160   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting nfs://192.168.1.23
11:20:22 T:67420160   ERROR: CGUIDialogFileBrowser::GetDirectory(nfs://192.168.1.23) failed

I'm sure I missed something, and appreciate any assistance

*edit*
I found NFS Privileges under Shares, which I set for:
- Client * (tried 192.168.1.* as well)
- Privilege: Read Only
- Root Squash: No Mapping
- Asynchronous: Yes (tried no as well)

I can now see my two mounts...volume1/Movies and volume1/TV when I browse under NFS, but can't click past that
In the logs it's showing permission denied
[CODE]13:29:56 T:112070656 ERROR: NFS: Failed to mount nfs share: /volume1/Movies (mount/mnt call failed with "RPC error: Mount failed with error MNT3ERR_ACCES(13) Permission denied(13)")
13:29:56 T:110727168 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting nfs://192.168.1.23/volume1/Movies/
13:29:56 T:110727168 ERROR: CGUIDialogFileBrowser::GetDirectory(nfs://192.168.1.23/volume1/Movies/) failed
13:29:58 T:112070656 ERROR: NFS: Failed to mount nfs share: /volume1/Movies (mount/mnt call failed with "RPC error: Mount failed with error MNT3ERR_ACCES(13) Permission denied(13)")
13:29:58 T:110727168 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting nfs://192.168.1.23/volume1/Movies/
13:29:58 T:110727168 ERROR: CGUIDialogFileBrowser::GetDirectory(nfs://192.168.1.23/volume1/Movies/) failed
13:29:58 T:112070656 ERROR: NFS: Failed to mount nfs share: /volume1/Movies (mount/mnt call failed with "RPC error: Mount failed with error MNT3ERR_ACCES(13) Permission denied(13)")
13:29:58 T:110727168 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting nfs://192.168.1.23/volume1/Movies/
13:29:58 T:110727168 ERROR: CGUIDialogFileBrowser::GetDirectory(nfs://192.168.1.23/volume1/Movies/) failed[CODE]
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Net...gy_or_QNAP

that is your problem ... hopefully someone who git it working could jump in here. In the future the wiki might have the needed instructions for common nas boxes.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Net...gy_or_QNAP

that is your problem ... hopefully someone who git it working could jump in here. In the future the wiki might have the needed instructions for common nas boxes.

Memphiz posted the link with the proper fix. You need to have the "insecure" option enabled in /etc/exports.

BTW you don't need any special "501" user or anything like that set up in the Synology.
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
Memphiz, Canadave

Thanks, I was able to finally get it (the settings are slightly different and I was trying too hard)

So for others looking at this thread, here's a how-to
1. Login to your Synology GUI
2. Enable SSH (if not enabled already) Control Panel-->Terminal-->Enable SSH service
3. Enable NFS under Control Panel-->Win/MAC/NFS-->NFS Services-->Enable NFS
4. Under Control Panel-->Shared Folder, create a NFS Privileges entry for the folders you want to share
Hostname: either specific ip address of XBMC or *
Privlege: Read Only
Root Squash: No Mapping
5. Exit GUI, go to a terminal and SSH into your Synology
Code:
ssh root@<<SYNOLOGY IP ADDRESS>>
6. Type in cat /etc/exports to see if you get entries, mine were:
Code:
DiskStation> cat /etc/exports
/volume1/Movies *(ro,async,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure_locks,anonuid=0,anongid=0)
/volume1/TV    *(ro,async,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure_locks,anonuid=0,anongid=0)
7. Edit using vi:
Type vi /etc/exports
[If you don't know vi, press INS[SERT], use arrows to go to the line to edit, and delete/edit the line. Then press ESC, and :x to 'save&exit']
8. change the entries to:
Code:
/volume1/Movies    *(ro,async,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure,anonuid=0,anongid=0)
/volume1/TV    *(ro,async,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure,anonuid=0,anongid=0)
9. Do cat /etc/exports to see if it took
10. Enter "exportfs -ra" into console
11. You can now Browse NFS and get to your subfolders in XBMC
thx for your nice howto ... this will end up in the wiki then Smile great!
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Memphiz Wrote:thx for your nice howto ... this will end up in the wiki then Smile

You betcha Smile Will try to get to this today.

*** EDIT: Done! Thanks. ***
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
nice - thx canadave
Guys, thanks for this, I have followed the instructions as mentioned to remove the locks using terminal. Will try browse nfs later on
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

This is an old thread, but I googled around and was lead here. This thread reflects excactly what I'm trying to do right now.

I'm following the steps from Memphiz' link to the xbmc wiki. But when I do step 6 - "cat /etc/exports"

the response is "cat: can't open '/etc/exports': Permission denied"

I've more than double checked all the previous steps to make sure everything is done properly, but I haven't found any mistakes there. Also, I'm not that familiar with linux so if there's something basic that I've missed - please do tell Smile

// Twerft
I guess you ssh'd in as admin? Try root instead and you should be fine.
Quote:I guess you ssh'd in as admin? Try root instead and you should be fine.

That was it. Thx.

// Twerft
What kind of read speeds are you getting? My NFS speeds are horrible with the Synology NAS, about a quarter of my FTP or WebDav.
Hey guys just a Question Which Synology Model are most ppl using on this forum ?
johnm109r Wrote:Hey guys just a Question Which Synology Model are most ppl using on this forum ?

I am using DS1511+

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NFS Setup Assistance with Synology NAS2