What version of unRAID to use?
So, I'm going to be assembling my first unRAID server in a few days when the parts arrive. Meant to do it a few months ago but other things came up and I only just got around to ordering the parts to assemble it.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide what version of the software to install. I know 4.7 is the stable, recommended version. However, I've been playing with 5.0b12 on a spare PC and found it to be pretty stable, and I like some of the new features.

What are people here running on their unRAID servers? Is running 4.7 the best idea? I guess what I'm really looking for is stability. Ideally I'd like to set up this server, create the shares, and then completely forget about it.
If you want maximum stability then go with 4.7. Over the past 6 months or so there have been a few 5.0bx releases to correct bugs, most minor but there was a major issue in there as well. The recommendation from limetech is to only use 5.0b versions on test servers. The only reason I'd use 5.0b12 is if it has a feature added that you need (i.e. 3TB drive support).
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
I have been running 4.7 for a while and haven't had any issues. I would stick with the stable until 5x is out of beta.

Good to know, thanks guys. I'll just stick with 4.7 and wait til 5.0 is ready for normal usage.
Another vote for 4.7 (pro) here
Limetech answered a similar question on him forum
http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.p...#msg141468

Quote:Quote from: X1pheR on September 02, 2011, 12:11:44 PM
I'm a new user who discovered unraid just a week ago. I'm still reading since there is so much of it Smile
Also going through my spare parts and seeing what I can use as an unraid server. Likewise I have to choose an unraid version to start with. Seeing the above regarding speed measurements, is it wise to start with b12 or should I do b11 instead?

Quote:Quote from: Limetech
Always use latest betas.
Media Companion Dev.
Media Companion - Kodi / XBMC - Media Companion
vbat99 Wrote:Limetech answered a similar question on him forum
http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.p...#msg141468
vbat99, I believe you have taken that exchange out of context. The thread you linked was from the post where limetech was announcing the 5.0b12 release. The question asked was should I use b11 or b12 (the latest version) and limetech said to always use the latest beta. So really what is being said is that if you are going to use a beta then it is recommended that you use the latest beta. What was NOT being said was to use beta 12 over 4.7. If you follow the limetech forums you'll see many instances where limetech has warned that betas are for test arrays only and users who install beta versions on production arrays do so at their own risk.

Just read the release notes for beta12
Quote:Please be aware that all measures have been taken to ensure data integrity, but this is beta software - use at your own risk.

It is probably a low risk at this point since the beta versions have been out there for a while and limetech is pretty far into the development cycle. In fact just the other day limetech released a b12a version and indicated he's working on a b13 (or possibly RC1) release - see his comments here. However my advice would still be to only use the 5.0 betas if you need some feature that is not included in 4.7 - like 3TB drive support or AFP support.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
4.7 no problems, i'd only go 5.x if I wanted 3TBs but 2TB is the sweet spot money-wise atm.
Major Props Poofy and Eskro! Check out their sigs for the best help/advice.
I originally installed the stable, but as part of the move over to unRAID from my Ubuntu SMB NAS I put everything on external hard drives, and bought a USB3 Icy-Box caddy like this: http://www.dabs.com/images/product/uni2/..._large.jpg

After installing my USB3 PCI card, I discovered 4.7 didn't support USB3 drivers so was forced to use the betas instead. I've used beta 4, 6 and upgraded to 12a this weekend. Not seen any issues at all, it's fairly stable.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What version of unRAID to use?0