DTS-HD MA and TrueHD while using HDMI
Hi all,

I use XBMC on my yaVDR to play my videos. Actually I use the HDMI of the onboard GFX of my ASUS M3N78-VM for audio & video. What I couldn't reach is to playback DTS-HD MA or TrueHD. I always get "DTS Surround" on my Marantz Receiver so I guess, that not the right audio format is transmitted from my mainboard. I'm not sure, if transmitting HQ-audio-formats is limitted by hardware or maybe by configuration within XBMC.

Does anybody know, if I have to get a new GFX-card or if there are some configuration changes necessary?

I would be pleased if anybody would have some good ideas!

Thanks guys,

Michibusa
Michibusa Wrote:Hi all,

I use XBMC on my yaVDR to play my videos. Actually I use the HDMI of the onboard GFX of my ASUS M3N78-VM for audio & video. What I couldn't reach is to playback DTS-HD MA or TrueHD. I always get "DTS Surround" on my Marantz Receiver so I guess, that not the right audio format is transmitted from my mainboard. I'm not sure, if transmitting HQ-audio-formats is limitted by hardware or maybe by configuration within XBMC.

Does anybody know, if I have to get a new GFX-card or if there are some configuration changes necessary?

Thanks guys,

Michibusa

It doesnt look like your MOBO's onboard GFX supports HD audio bitstreaming. You might be able to use a work around tho' check this out.. bluray has a pretty informative post on this very subject!!

How to get HD Audio bistreaming with MPC-HC or XBMC pre-EDEN 11.0
Your content is only for Windows-users, unfortunatelly not for Linux / yaVDR / XBMC- combo Sad
Does anybody have an idea??
whats the question?
------>>>>>
Hi all,

Thanks guys,

Michibusa
DTS-HD decoding and DTS-HD MA bitstreaming is not supported.
you need the 'correct' hardware/software for Bitstreaming DTS-HD MA or TrueHD....
Your current setup cant handle it,,,

And as of today, forget about doing this under Linux,,,
Its a windows thing....

So if your willing to use Windows and buy a new GPU card,
then, it'll be possible...
Bitstream DTS-HD and TrueHD in Linux

Jerry
thanx for the link but, its still a windows thing,,,

Good luck in getting it work under Linux,,, its only HeadAches...
now I thought I read that current XBMC live supports converting HD audio to LPCM...

And LPCM is pretty much just as good at direct bit-streaming?

Here is a decent discussion: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=842477

It sounds like LPCM which current linux version supports is just as good as bitstreaming. XBMC/PC just converts the bitstream to LPCM which is an uncompressed format and pretty much every receiver can play. You just don't get the cool "HD DTS" etc lights on the receiver.
well im not an audiophile so,
i wouldnt see any difference i believe,,,

Bitstreaming of course refers to sending the audio 'un-touched' to
your Audio/Video Receiver to decode
which will output the best possible quality sound to your speakers...
eskro Wrote:well im not an audiophile so,
i wouldnt see any difference i believe,,,

Bitstreaming of course refers to sending the audio 'un-touched' to
your Audio/Video Receiver to decode
which will output the best possible quality sound to your speakers...
+1
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
From what I have read (thread above) and others...

having the PC convert DTS-MA etc to LCPM is VERY different then down-mixing and other conversions.

I read that yes quality comes into play when using conversions and using the DACS. Where receivers generally have better DACs then audio cards... aka analog.

LPCM isn't really a conversion I guess... its more just the uncompressed streams.

If PC or receiver do the de-compression of the bit-stream it doesn't matter much.

Still looking into this... cause HD audio support is really the only thing holding be back from a cheap ION XBMC system.
dandirk Wrote:From what I have read (thread above) and others...

having the PC convert DTS-MA etc to LCPM is VERY different then down-mixing and other conversions.

I read that yes quality comes into play when using conversions and using the DACS. Where receivers generally have better DACs then audio cards... aka analog.

LPCM isn't really a conversion I guess... its more just the uncompressed streams.

If PC or receiver do the de-compression of the bit-stream it doesn't matter much.

Still looking into this... cause HD audio support is really the only thing holding be back from a cheap ION XBMC system.
the main reason that producers are going for dts-hd and truehd now is because they can have more space with dts-hd and truehd to include more features than lpcm. as you can see most bluray movies come out with either dts-hd and truehd audio now.

as far as aq goes- if it is done right, lpcm=dts-hd and lpcm=truehd!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DTS-HD MA and TrueHD while using HDMI0