2nd Gen ASROCK Vision 3d
Check out this link. Looks interesting.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/06/asroc...-on-board/
I know...
I called it in... Smile

But the sucky part is that ASRock pulled the source from it's homepage... Sad

Now we don't know whether we are actually gonna get it...
It got announced together with the CoreHT at CeBIT 2011 - The CoreHT showed up more or less straight away...
We haven't seen anything else concerning the 2nd Gen Vision 3D... Sad

Maybe they've dropped it.... Sad
Really want one of these!
Hardware. Asrock VisionX, Onkyo TX-SR508, LG 47", ReadyNAS Ultra 6 TB | Software. XBMC Frodo, Aeon Nox 4.0, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, SABnzbd
[trakt.tv]
Me 2...

I was considering the original Vision 3D - but that idea has been put on permanent hold Eek

Don't want to buy a systems that 12-18 months old - if a new one is just around the corner...
i too, i wanted the original Vision 3D,,
but then, i found it too pricey,
and built the HTPC myself from scratch!

Just as powerful, and was wayy cheaper!
The first gen had really nice hw but the 2nd gen will be even more sweet.

Some info from engadget.com

Quote:The tiny box that AnandTech called, "the best SFF HTPC [they had] ever reviewed, hands down," is finally joining the Sandy Bridge brigade. A tipster was doing a little Google-fu when he came across a listing for the unannounced Vision 3D 2nd Gen Series. The specs are certainly a worthy upgrade to last year's Computex standout, including a switchable 1GB GeForce GT540M card, 1333MHz RAM and an HMDI 1.4a port. You still get a Blu-ray drive, NVIDIA's 3D Vision, a media remote, four USB 3.0 jacks and your choice of Core i3, i5 or i7 processors

This will make a kick ass htpc no dubt about that. When the first gen came out it was abit pricey expect the same on the new one. I will hold my purchase until the hardware sites have crownd the new ultimate oem built sff htpc.
---------------------------------------------------
Intel NUC Haswell D34010WYK | ATV2 | Logitech Harmony One | Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver | QNAP 809 | APC Back-UPS RS 550
it way too expensive- asrock Vision 3D. i built an asrock 3d htpc for a fraction of the price!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:it way too expensive- asrock Vision 3D. i built an asrock 3d htpc for a fraction of the price!

Exactly.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Well maybe it's a pricey HTPC, but really it's not that bad.
Maybe it's because I live in Denmark. I bought the Asrock 3D vision 137B for 800$.
If you want to buy the exact same hardware then you'll have to spend at around 500-550$ (hardware in DK, like in most of EU, general costs twice as much as in the US). And that is without the slot in blue-ray drive (200$), and the awesome aluminium cabinet wich is build for the hardware, including copper heat pipes, heat sinks and build in IR-reciever.

Yes, maybe you can get cheaper hardware with a slightly different setup. But this HTPC is really well build, good looking, powerfull and quiet.
This cheaper vs more expensive debate is ridiculous. People always build cheaper machines, but when you really compare them nothing is the same.. a cheap plastic case, no slot-in bluray, 3 times as big, ir is external...

Fact is, with the Asrock Vision you get a very compact machine, in a nice and small aluminium case, with integrated IR and a slot in bluray. You want it? You pay it. Just don't say that your 3 or 4 times bigger htpc is better and cheaper, because it isn't true.
PatrickVogeli Wrote:This cheaper vs more expensive debate is ridiculous. People always build cheaper machines, but when you really compare them nothing is the same.. a cheap plastic case, no slot-in bluray, 3 times as big, ir is external...

Fact is, with the Asrock Vision you get a very compact machine, in a nice and small aluminium case, with integrated IR and a slot in bluray. You want it? You pay it. Just don't say that your 3 or 4 times bigger htpc is better and cheaper, because it isn't true.

You can build a mini-ITX HTPC for the same size as the AsRock, there are aluminium mini-ITX cases about that size. The one thing you can not do is get mobile class components inside it, since only OEMs have access to mobile CPUs and GPUs. So that`s how the AsRock justifies it`s price.
PatrickVogeli Wrote:People always build cheaper machines, but when you really compare them nothing is the same.. a cheap plastic case, no slot-in bluray, 3 times as big, ir is external...
there is nothing plastic about these cases- aluminum case and steel case and you can have as many bluray slots as you wish to have with these htpc cases and you can have it as small as the size of a bd-rom. for the price that patrick paid for a pre-built asrock, i can easily build one with identical spec for half of the price.

for most of us, we cannot afford to waste money on toys. we built it ourselves to save a few bucks, and we built it to our liking!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
you are all right. Remember one size does not fit all Smile

me, I got an asrock...
Patrick, your price is closer than in the US. US prices are about $1000, and we can build a system like that for about half the price - likely even less.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
People that wont buy this HTPC because of the price, they dont really have to convince us who bought it, that it can be build cheaper. We know Smile

But I would like to see a homebuild HTPC, not just with better spec to a smaller price, but same build quality (Using case as heat sink with copper pipes, low powered hardware, good looking case with no visible ugly optical drives and so on.) And if you manage to find such a well build homemade HTPC, then I would like to hear how many weekends and endless hours it took to cut out every port to fit hardware like built in ir-reciever on the alu case and how long it took to find the right heatsink for his CPU and GPU and bending the heat pipes so he could get almost passive cooled HTPC only helped by a little fan when you're gaming. I just paid Asrock to do this for me. And I'm all happy about that Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2nd Gen ASROCK Vision 3d1