Internal networking issues
Hi guys, I am having issues with fileshares on my network.

Setup:

-Router --Switch ---HTPC (asrock 330, windows 7 home) [wired]
---Laptop (HP G61, Windows 7 home) [wired]
---Xbox (original, XBMC) [wired]
---Xbox 360 [wired]
--Xbox (original, XBMC) [wired]
--Desktop PC (windows XP pro) [wireless]

Shares setup on the HTPC from USB hard drives (Standard SMB). Laptop, Desktop PC, BOTH Xbox (original) can all access the fileshares on the HTPC for playback.

When I transfer files from the laptop to the HTPC, the Desktop PC and both Xbox suddenly cannot access the file shares. The laptop is then the only device that can still acess the HTPC shares. I have to restart the HTPC for other devices to get access to the shares again.

The xbox 360 uses upnp, and I can still access my music.

I have ruled out the router, I have an Huawei ecolife HG532 from my ISP (talk talk, UK), and they sent me a new one which is a D-Link 2780. Same problem on both.

The only thing it can be is windows 7. It seems to create a tunnel when transfering files accross. The curious thing is, if

I transfer files from the HTPC to the shared folder on the laptop; everything else can still access the HTPC.

Can anyone help me?
HTPC: Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V, CPU: AMD A10 6800K, RAM: Kingston XMP BEAST 16GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray drive, Samsung, and WD various 2 and 3TB for storage, Windows 8.1, one for all remote/FLIRC, Logitech z906 surround system.
It could be the switch. I have known cheap switches to do funny things, like killing automatic NAT across the network.

Try running the network with a different switch, or without one.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
It's a netgear switch, not really 'cheap' but it wasn't expensive. I would have to buy another as I have not got another one. Can't run my setup without one either.
HTPC: Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V, CPU: AMD A10 6800K, RAM: Kingston XMP BEAST 16GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray drive, Samsung, and WD various 2 and 3TB for storage, Windows 8.1, one for all remote/FLIRC, Logitech z906 surround system.
Move the laptop around on the network, see what happens?
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Internal networking issues0