Disabling WM_APPCOMMAND
Lightbulb 
Hi

I just got a MCE remote knockoff from dealextreme which works great, but the only problem is I can't map keys like VK_VOLUME_DOWN in XBMC.

I think the remote uses WM_APPCOMMAND for this, so when I press the volume down button, the Windows volume changes, not XBMCs, and when I map it in keyboard.xml nothing happens.

So I think I'm searching for a way to disable WM_APPCOMMAND. Can anyone help me on this?
This can't be done in v10.1. The current development builds (from http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/) do allow you do configure the appcommand handling, so you can make the volume appcommands control the XBMC volume not the Windows volume.

I hear rumours that the development builds are a bit prone to freezing up at the moment, so unless someone springs up to say the development builds are OK I'd be inclined to wait a bit before trying them.

JR
Alright, I tried a nightly version and used the <enablemultimediakeys> in advancedsettings.xml, and the remote now controls XBMC's volume.

But the Windows volume still changes when I press the Volume key. It shouldn't do that, right? How can I stop it from changing the Windows volume?

So close!!! Smile
You don't want to enable the multimedia keys. If you do this the multimedia keys generate both a keypress and an appcommand message. XBMC processes the keypress and Windows processes the appcommand so you get the effect you see.

Remove the <enablemultimediakeys> from advancedsettings.xml, and in your %appdata%\userdata\keymaps folder create a file called appcommand.xml containing:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <appcommand>
      <volume_down>VolumeDown</volume_down>
      <volume_up>VolumeUp</volume_up>
      <volume_mute>Mute</volume_mute>
    </appcommand>
  </global>
</keymap>

This tells XBMC to handle the vol up and down appcommands, which means they don't get passed on to Windows.

JR
jhsrennie,

That is awesome! Thank you very much. My remote works just like I want it now.

You're my savior! Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Disabling WM_APPCOMMAND0