• 17(current)
new AFPClient for iOS/OSX <--SOLUTION FOR LION USERS
(2012-04-15, 03:17)Ned Scott Wrote: The AFP client lib we use is buggy, and the people who originally developed it have abandoned that project. The biggest issue that I've seen is this sort of "cuts in and out" type thing that you've described. Sometimes it's not so bad, sometimes it drives one mad. There's not much we can do about it, since even improving that AFP client lib is now seen as a dead end. A replacement AFP client lib is something sought out, but there is no ETA.

very interesting. thanks for the info!
FWIW, my experience is as follows:

Adding afp://mymac.local/Sharename works fine, it shows up in Files.

Streaming videos from there works as well, until it doesn't. Crashes XBMC 11.0 somewhere during the video playback.

Mac Mini (Intel) on Snow Leopard (10.6.something).
We know about it and are looking for a better afp library for accessing these sort of shares already.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Here I am again. In preparation for the upgrade to Lion, I had XBMC working great over afp:// serving from OS X 10.6.8. My shares were simple, just:

afp://MacPro.local

From there I could browse to any volume I wanted.

Now on Lion (went straight to 10.7.4), browsing that share crashes XBMC (now on ATV2 running OS 5.x tethered).

This is the last line in the xbmc.log:

Code:
19:23:28 T:136441856   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting afp://user:[email protected]/Jane Smith’s Public FoldeJane Smith’s Public Folde/

The odd thing is, that public folder is not a source or anything, while MacPro.local is... And even still, with my user:pass (admin) I should have access to that public folder. And also why is path name truncated and duplicated like that?

post the full log to pastebin and put the link here
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2012-05-11, 09:59)Memphiz Wrote: post the full log to pastebin and put the link here

Thanks. Here's the full log.

Some additional notes on this.

• The crash occurs a few seconds after listing the contents of the share/source. That is, the full list of all connected volumes and Public Folder share points defined in OS X File Sharing. So the actual login via afp:// seems successful.

• I can confirm this by going to "Edit Source" and then "Browse". In this case there is no crash. However when I try to open the "Jane Smith" (name changed) public folder in question, there is a delay but then nothing opens. It is also displaying the mangled folder name for that one particular folder.

• I note that there's a curly single quote on : Smith's. Is that expected? It must be OS X that under normal circumstances lists that folder when it's a share point as "Mike Jones's Public Folder" because of course in the file system the actual path is ~/mjones/Public/

• I am currently suspecting a permission issue in that user domain or on that folder that did not manifest under OS X 10.6.8 but is manifesting now. Will try to repair.

Could you do the log with debugging enabled again please? (turn it on in settings->system->debugging)
(2012-05-11, 12:43)Memphiz Wrote: Could you do the log with debugging enabled again please? (turn it on in settings->system->debugging)

Sorry, should have done that the first time. Here it is.
Could you pm me the real name of Jane Smith and the string of that volume as it appears in your log file. And you added the source just by

afp://user:[email protected]/

How did you setup this? Normally there MUST be a volume for each afp source. Please give me your configuration as detailed as possible, so i can setup a environment as near to yours as possible for trying to reproduce that shit.
Correct. The source is exactly as you put it. I realize it has been suggested that there must be a volume for the source. But believe it or not doing it that way worked beautifully on 10.6.8. Also, the same method works currently on another Mac (afp://iMac.local/) that is now running 10.7.3. It's much easier that way, as I don't need symlinks (which as you may recall was a huge problem in moving from smb:// to afp://) at all. Furthermore, I didn't need to add each of several volumes separately.

There is no particular share point in OS X's Sharing Pref pane. Logging on with my admin user/password gave me access to all connected volumes! (And as I said, does with the other Mac!)

I will PM you the original name and log string, along with a ls -a of the user's folder.

Anything else you need to know?
Have searched around the forum and read alot in this thread, seems to be sam issues as I have... I run Mac OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and have a Time Capsule V4 set up in my network which is wired to the ATV2 5.0.2 running XBMC Eden 11.0 and have tried both suing Confluence skin and Quartz skin, same result with either...

So I tried using zeroconfig and both my Mac and Time Capsule appears there, when I try to access Time Capsule it starts thinking for awhile and then stops the same for (SAMBA)...

Also have tried to set directory manually using afp as you can see in the log, I haven't altered any username or passwords so it looks just as it were (I have changed it now)...

Sometimes the ATV2 crashes when trying to set up directory, I got it working once but then cleared the XBMC of settings, when it worked (for a short short short period of time) I believed it to be veeeery slow and almost lagging... When trying to get access again it couldn't connect... Have I configured the Time Capsule wrong!? It is sharing-enabled and I am also using [username:password@ip/sharedfolder] et.c...

Debug log:

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=9882

*Also before resetting XBMC here's the log from previous, same problem but maybe more information!? Don't know if it's useful!? Detected Time Capsule via Zeroconf but don't detect folders...*

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=9806

I have now accessed the ATV2 through filezilla and tried manually deleting folders there tho the point I now restored it back to non- jailbreak... Perhaps starting over from clean sheet might solve some problems!?

Should I run something else besides afp and how to set it up!?

Sorry for long post Confused
(2011-09-09, 14:27)canadave Wrote: OK, it sort of works for me. It's something on my side, with my NAS, that's not working; it works fine on my Mac Pro and my laptop.

http://pastebin.com/a5pKAPKh

It looks to me like it's trying to connect to port 548 on my NAS...not sure if my Synology is listening on port 548 for AFP?

I'll do some more investigating.

*** EDIT ***: the Synology DOES use port 548 for AFP. And it is enabled (have been using it for my own computer LAN connections to the NAS for some time now). But not working in this case with the ATV2. That's strange....hmmmm.........

*** EDIT 2 ***: Duhhrrr...let me try davilla's manual connect and see if that's the issue. I bet it is.

*** EDIT 3 ***: Yep, it works when I manually type in the username : password@IP/sharedfolder to access the share rather than browsing. It's too bad it doesn't "just work", but, oh well Smile It works, bottom line! I'm playing TRON:Legacy 1080p .mkv file from my NAS to the ATV2 via wireless LAN, working great, no buffering/stuttering.

When I do this what username and password do I type in is it my router name and password to that or.... I'm using a airport extreame and I'm trying to connect my atv2 witch is in my bedroom
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
new AFPClient for iOS/OSX <--SOLUTION FOR LION USERS1