Auto skip TV series intro
I would like to reopen discussion on this. Newer series might not be so useful but If you like the oldies like MASH the intro is 50 seconds. So just the right button leaves you still watching 20 seconds or missing the first 10 secs.

I dont think there is a need to do it automatically. Just an option to auto skip selected sections in an entire series. So I could set it to skip 00:00 to 00:50 in MASH. Or some shows like Big Bang that start the show and then go to the intro. So I could set 01:00 to 01:30.
On a remote you can do

5 + 0 + right

and it will skip forward 50 seconds.

I bet someone could make an add-on to generate a bookmark jump for all episodes of a specific show, too. So you could select MASH and generate a generic 50 second jump point for all MASH episodes.
I was looking at this recently and thought maybe there was a 'black screen' after the intro that could be used to find the start of the show proper. But paying attention to all the shows I have been watching lately has shown that this is not the case for enough of them to bother with.

And then there is the problem of intros being different lengths and coming in at different times, even for shows in the same season.
If the show starts with the intro, rather than a scene followed by the intro, I would just create an .edl file and copy it for each episode.

Might even be possible to configure one of the commercial skipping applications to detect intros and have it generate .edl or comskip files, but I haven't tried that.
I too would find this very useful, the easiest would probably be to have an option to set a bookmark for skipping in each episode in a show but that really only works on shows which opens with an intro.

The ideal solution in my opinion would be to choose a specific frame in each show/season and when that specific frame is shows it skips a set number of seconds or another specific frame at the end. Sure it wont work on all shows but most of them, since your gonna have to choose the frame yourself it will only be on shows you actually want it on anyway.

This is probably pretty hard to do though but I think it would be awsome.
Found this thread while looking for a solution.

I was hoping someone had written and autoskip feature that would skip x seconds based on a filename pattern match.

Some of my shows are exactly two skips, some are two and a bit, some are none... it would be nice to not have to try and skip (without watching) the spoiler intro to some of my shows.
If it were scripted, I can imagine it being tagged on with the "start from beginning" and "resume playback from", or just use "resume playback from" for new files that haven't been watched but DO match a skip pattern.

Oh well, it might be too much for too little.
My suggestion would be to simply use chapters for this. Add chapters to the episodes and skip the intro chapter automatically. Another solution would be a online database with timestamps of intro begin/end and begin of credits, then you could create a Netflix like behavior.
We also have EDL (wiki), which can automatically skip a section, but allow you to rewind back into it if you do want to watch that part. I bet someone could make an EDL add-on and website that downloads them based on TV show matching. The community could contribute EDLs, as some episodes have a cold opening and some don't. That would be neat.
Big Grin

EDL or TXT (Comskip as workaround). There's no need to write an addon.

Of course it does take time to create the skipping files for the whole episodes...

And all of you forgot one point of view: What if I want to have The Simpsons on while I sleep?
There's a cool playlist function but the one minute intro AND outro makes me insane.
So I gonna try it with the EDL-idea and if it doesn't work, I swear, I gonna try to write a little addon. Wink
Did you guys get any further with this, I see Netflix has this implemented perfect. When I watch hells kitchen it perfectly skips the "previously on hells kitchen" part and intro,its perfect.
Netflix will simply have a bookmark on each episode, which it will skip to if the user requests it. They control their own content, Kodi provides no content, that's the difference. Netflix probably employs someone to enter these bookmarks into their system, Kodi have no option to do this given they provide no content.

The only solution that I can see is that you personally use bookmarks/chapters when you rip the content, this of course would require the user to do it themselves & most people probably can't be bothered. I doubt there will ever be a universal solution other than a quick press of the right arrow key, which is what I do Smile
Old thread but I like the idea of using chapters for this cause it seems simple enough, though not without its flaws. At least from the media I have downloaded roughly under 3/4 of them have the appropriate bookmarks in place but I haven't checked if they are under the same naming convention say "Opening" vs "OP" and for now I simply use the "UP" arrow or swipe up on Keyboard/Kore/Yatse to navigate chapters.
If possible It would be nice to have it aesthetically the same as Netflix and only have such dialog appear whilst a chapter under the aforementioned namespaces are running that'd be swell.
I can't program to save my life but I'm learning slowly. If there is already an addon that functions in such a way or similarly, a name or better yet link would be most appreciated.
This may interest you https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2747017

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto skip TV series intro0