Beer's unRAID Server
Big Grin 
My wife bought me a new case! Ain't she great.

Fractal Design Define R3 White....

I was about to buy the NZXT H2 also in white but this video shows that the Fractal Define R3 beats it in many ways.

First of all I would like to thank wsume99 - T800 - poofyhairguy - eSKRo and everyone else who has helped me in this adventure.

The R3 is quiet and I am very impressed. Temps range because of various HD's but they are under 29C idle and 35c load, except for an old WD I have in there witch tends to get to 40C but I will be buying a 140mm fan to stick on the bottom of the case witch it has a spot for and that should help everything out when more HD's are added.

At the moment it's at the front with the htpc but one day I will move it... I can not hear it unless I stick my head close to it. Wink Amazing...

Fractal Design Define R3 Case

ASRock 880GM-LE

Antec NEO ECO 520W

AMD Sempron 145 Sargas 2.8GHz

Scythe SCSK-1100 100mm Cooler hehe Rofl

Lexar JumpDrive FireFly 4GB

Koutech USB 2.0 Header

Crucial 2GB CT25664BA1339

D-Link DGS-1005G Gigabit Desktop Switch

2TB HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 for parity.

2TB Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS for data.

2TB Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS for data.

2TB SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI for data.

Wink

If you like Western Digital HD's you can do this:
It works on EARS and EADS and many more.... stop the head parking.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.p...#msg148777

http://support.wdc.com/product/download....09&sid=113

Awesome DecaL!!!!!!!

FTW!!!!!!!!!

that SMiLODON'ed unRAID Server will be able to accomodate 11 HDD's!!

Smile
That thing is pretty sweet! That case is pretty crazy was looking at it on Newegg..
Personally, I wouldn't add a 7200 drive for parity, as you'd very rarely see any performance benefit. You're just introducing extra heat, and power consumption.
Some people have told me to use the 7200 for parity. By the way it was given to me so why not? Now I don't know if I will be able to use it since it's not the biggest drive of all 3... take a look. Drive E is the carviar black. Drive Y is EARS & Drive X is EADS

Whoever told you that gave you bad advice. To quote Joe L. at the unRAID forum:

"Writing to the unRAID array is limited by the slowest (rotational speed) drive involved. If only the parity drive is a 7200 RPM drive, then you are still limited by the speed of the data drive. You'll see NO improvement in write speed unless there are multiple slower data drives being written to simultaneously, and one faster 7200 RPM parity drive trying to keep up with both of them. "

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=6999.0
mr.sparkle.... I found this: From Here I see what you mean. But I don't want this caviar black to go to waste. I wan't to use it.... so can it still be parity?

Green or LP (low power) drives – 5400 or 5900 rpm – are often recommended both for parity and data because they are cooler, quieter, and use less power than higher speed drives.
Improved performance can be seen if both the parity drive and the data drives are of a faster rotational speed: having a 7200 rpm parity drive with all 5400 rpm data drives will not be of benefit. There is a compromise – having a 7200 rpm parity drive and one or more 7200 rpm data drives (the drives that will be used most-used) as well as some 5400 rpm data drives. In this case, writes to the 7200 rpm data drives will be faster, and writes to the 5400 rpm data drives will be slower.
A cache drive is optional, and is only available with an unRAID Plus or Pro license. Using a 7200 rpm cache drive will improve the server's perceived write speed as all writes will initially be going to the faster cache drive. A cache drive will only help with perceived write speeds, not read speeds. However, a cache drive only defers the inevitable slow write into the parity protected array until later in the night when the server is otherwise idle.
Temporally spacing out purchases of drives will decrease the chances of getting a bunch of drives from the same (potentially bad) batch. Mixing and matching drive makes, models, and retailers can help as well.
mr.sparkle Wrote:Personally, I wouldn't add a 7200 drive for parity, as you'd very rarely see any performance benefit. You're just introducing extra heat, and power consumption.

i was wondering that too honestly,,,
like is it a must? just like using a cache drive!?
Beer40oz Wrote:Some people have told me to use the 7200 for parity. By the way it was given to me so why not? Now I don't know if I will be able to use it since it's not the biggest drive of all 3... take a look. Drive E is the carviar black. Drive Y is EARS & Drive X is EADS

wow ok,,,

Looks like you'll have to use Drive Y (EARS) for parity :/
Well I could sell this caviar black drive and get me another EARS.... I might just do that. Any other HD's that are good besides caviar green? I don't mind trying something new.
Beer40oz Wrote:Lexar JumpDrive FireFly 4GB

Same as the limetech guys!!!!

FTW!!!!!!!!!!
Another interesting question I have.

Say you have your unRAID build going..... your parity and everything is set up.... now you go buy this hard drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6822145475

now what if it's bigger then your parity drive? then what? can you still use it?
Do any of you actually use a cache drive? I don't can't really find a reason to justify installing one.
cache drive? nope, dont waste a slot for that Tongue
Your drive that appears smaller could have HPA on it. Has it been used with a GigaByte mobo?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Beer's unRAID Server2