[AppleTV1] Broadcom Crystal HD
Hi there,

I bought a Appletv1 for my bedroom tv.
It is a LCD tv before there was HDready :-), so the best resolution that i can get is 576P.
But i want to know if i buy a Broadcom Crystal HD card, i wil see the difference.
Or with my tv it is a waste of money ?

I want to play all kind of movies with it (dvd, bluray, mkv, avi, etc) because i already have a mediaplayer that can do almost everything, and my media server has all sort of videofiles that i want to stream to my ATV1

Tobas
How is your tv connected to your appletv?
Do you have the model number and make of your tv?

Some older edtv (enhanced definition tv) before hdtv, had component input but could not display hdtv signals. They just allowed progressive scan picture rather than standard interlaced tv signals to give a better picture without interlace flicker. This may be case with yor tv. If it is an edtv the I believe a broadcom card would not give yo and improvement unless your video at the moment is stuttering.
Thanks for the reply.
It is a edtv, i have the component input.
I have only tried to connect the ATV1 wireless, but i need to connect it to my gigabit network because now i have a big stuttering problem.
Hi, as you have an EDTV im afraid the best resolution you'll see is 576p.
Your apple tv should be able to play this resolution without the broadcom card as long as you have sufficient bandwidth to serve the film.
Daveatfernie Wrote:Hi, as you have an EDTV im afraid the best resolution you'll see is 576p.
Your apple tv should be able to play this resolution without the broadcom card as long as you have sufficient bandwidth to serve the film.

Thats ok, i was already glad that i have a component input :-)
But i thought that maybe the Broadcom Crystal HD improve the respons of the menu and movies as wel
Daveatfernie Wrote:Hi, as you have an EDTV im afraid the best resolution you'll see is 576p.

Don't confuse display resolution with video content resolution. decode != display.
davilla Wrote:Don't confuse display resolution with video content resolution. decode != display.

So, for smoother display (for some video) i need the Broadcom chip ?
for smoother decode you need the Broadcom chip. They will display the same no matter what. However, if you have a demanding video it won't play at all or play very poorly without the Broadcom chip.

In other words: Get the broadcom chip. It will let you play more files.
thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV1] Broadcom Crystal HD0