Turning an Old Computer into a HTPC
Rainbow 
Hi

I wonder if someone can advise me I have an old computer I'm hoping to be able to build into a simple HTPC. The specs are low so I don't expect much. What I would like it to achieve is this.

Play DVDs (doesn't need to play blu-ray)
Stream Netflix at 720
play HD 720 video files and SD files
Play music MP3 and flac files and pandora radio.

All my videos and music are kept on a windows home server 2011 box so will be streamed over the network.

The old computers specs I have is

CPU: AMD 64 3400+
RAM: 2 GB of DDR PC3200
HDD: 80GB sata drive
GPU: I have not purchased a GPU yet I only have a AGP slot

I was thinking of purchasing a EVGA GeForce 6200 512-A8-N405-KR if this would do it or if not a VisionTek Radeon HD3450 512 MB.

I currently have windows XP installed on the system, does XBMC run well on XP? Or would I be better off installing XBMC Live

or lastly give up the whole idea lol
Linux != Netflix

Win7 is required for hardware acceleration I think and video card is going to be key. Unfortunately, I'm not too sure about what AGP card will get you hardware accelerated video. By itself, I think that CPU will get bound even with 720p content. Someone else with more experience will come along shortly I'm sure.
Like Kirky99 said, No Netflix on Linux. Netflix will not use anything without DRM, and currently use Microsoft Silverlight for that main reason. You can run a VM, if you want, though. See here for details:

http://how-to.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_watc...)_in_Linux

You should be able to run 720p on that machine.
...DJVege...
HTPC: G840 + GT430 + 2GB RAM + 30GB SSD
Remote: iPad/iPhone + iRule + USB-UIRT // FireFly RF Remote
Software: XBMC Eden + Eventghost + Win7
Hi thanks for both your replies, after you mentioned I needed win 7 for hardware acceleration I looked into this further, and decided to buy a ASus hd3450 card, install win 7 home edition and see how I do. I will try and tweak win 7 a bit turn off services I dont need. When I get the card and it is all up and running I will leave a post for anybody else's interest.

Thanks!!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Turning an Old Computer into a HTPC0