Switch from PCH C-200 to any HTPC, advice needed
Question 
Hello everybody

First post here on these forums after I've read through several threads.
I have a pretty specific issue here, that's why I'd love some advice on what to do from you experts Wink

So I'm running now since about 2 years a Popcorn Hour C-200 which has been a pain in the monkey since I bought it. The lack of proper firmware even after this long time and the extremely slow booting along with stuttering once in a while and.... (the list goes on and on). To keep the story short, I wanna get rid of the PCH once for all and want to purchase a regular HTPC.

One thing I loved on the PCH (the only thing) was the Jukebox feature. I used the mediajukebox along with YAMJ and YANFOE to build my fanarts, nfo's and posters. And that's how I actually got to these forums... I want an alternative to the feature the PCH provided and the XBMC seems to be just the thing I need.

So short question about this:
1.) Is it easily possible to achieve the same as with the PCH Jukebox? I already have all the nfo's fanarts and posters nicely sorted in my 3TB worth of movies. Is it easy to create the library like this, it seems straight forward according to the wiki, but I don't know yet how the XBMC compares to the YAMJ jukebox.
2.) Is it possible to choose several external harddisk as a source for media?

Now about the important thing and what I struggle with a lot at the moment --> Hardware!
Goal: I'd like to play all my various media types, mostly 1080p mkv's with DTS with a HTPC through XBMC using 2x 2TB USB 2.0 Disks. I'd also like to stream pictures and music through a gigabit network from my main rig.

Questions:
1.) Would you recommend building a own HTPC, such as eskro's builds instead of buying a premade HTPC such as the Acer Revo 100 or the Zotac ZBOX?
2.) Is it bad to play the movies through external USB disks e.g. would it be better to buy a NAS instead?
3.) Will I be able to use my Harmony One with the HTPC and XBMR? I read something in the wiki about it but there isn't much coverage about the Harmony One

thanks for your time, hope somebody can help me out.
I started with a PBO and understand your frustrations. As a new convert myself I can say you will enjoy the change. Welcome to what all those media players were meant to be.
ecopsorn Wrote:1.) Is it easily possible to achieve the same as with the PCH Jukebox? I already have all the nfo's fanarts and posters nicely sorted in my 3TB worth of movies. Is it easy to create the library like this, it seems straight forward according to the wiki, but I don't know yet how the XBMC compares to the YAMJ jukebox.
I never bothered setting up YAMJ on mine but I know what you are refering to. How it compares... well you can instal xbmc on your desktop computer and play with it to see how you like it.
The .nfo file format may be diffferent from YAMJ though if you had to change them, the format is pretty simple. Plus, xbmc is automated so you don't actually need .nfo files for it to work. The use of self generated .nfo files is maily for customizing meta information. Also, you can create an .nfo for when somthing does not scrape successfully - ie. doesn't work automatically.
Also, if you don't like the fanart etc. xbmc chooses you can set your own custom pictures.
ecopsorn Wrote:2.) Is it possible to choose several external harddisk as a source for media?
yes, easily.
ecopsorn Wrote:1.) Would you recommend building a own HTPC, such as eskro's builds instead of buying a premade HTPC such as the Acer Revo 100 or the Zotac ZBOX?
This depends on what you want, your abilities, and probaly willingness to learn. I built my own because I think that is the best way to go. The next guy that comes along may have a revo so likely that is what he will reccomend. It really comes down to you. Each choice has its advantages and drawbacks. Only you can determine what is most important to you and what your budget is.
ecopsorn Wrote:2.) Is it bad to play the movies through external USB disks e.g. would it be better to buy a NAS instead?
Not neccessarily. For now keep whatever you have your media stored on. Focus on your new HTPC. You can always change/upgrade your storage setup later.
ecopsorn Wrote:3.) Will I be able to use my Harmony One with the HTPC and XBMR?
YES, You simply need the correct IR reciever to pick up the signal from the remote. Check my setup in my signature. That one should work right out of the box. You can set the Harmony up via the logitec software and you are done.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
ding ding, above poster got it pretty much all right.

I first want to state that the most important thing to think about is the future, you have to plan ahead in order to succeed. I cant stress this enough because if you buy something right now and later on decide it inst good enough, you have to pay twice.

I went with a pre built HTPC until because i already have a big NAS that has all of my movies and other goodies on it so my HTPC only needed to play the movies. If you want something to play and store the movies a custom build will probably work out better since you can choose what you need.

Getting your movies scraped and set up how you like isn't to hard, XBMC has pretty good support when it comes to fan art and metadata but there are also programs like Ember (search for the revisited thread with tons of info) that allows you to use a PC to scrape all fo your data and massage it however you like. Again this is a little bit more specific to your setup, since i have more than one XBMC running its better for me to massage everything once and have all XBMC's grab the same data directly from my nas so everything looks the same.

To sum it up, for me XBMC is so good over all that even if you lost a feature or two (even though you probably wont) its still worth the change.
XBMC-ATV2 - Frodo
XBMC-LR - Zotac Zbox Plus - 36gb SSD - 3Gb Mem - Frodo
XBMC-BR - Foxcon 330i - 16gb SSD - 2Gb Mem - FrodoRc3
XBMC-Mini - MacMini - 128Gb OCZ Agility - 5Gb Mem - Frodo - Running SQL - Auto Library Update
Synology DiskStation Ds1512+(Dsm 4.3-3776) - 4gb Mem - 5*3tb Wd Reds [SHR] - 2GB Bonded Link - (SSD Cache WIP)

Thanks guys for all the great and informative answers.

Great idea with trying XBMC on my main computer to get the feel and how it'll work with my already existing fanarts and nfo files.

I've also used Ember Media Manager in the past, it's quite a good program but I prefer YANFOE lately much more. I'm pretty specific on the information and pictures I want to have displayed, that's why such a media manager is great for me.
Previousely with the automatic scraping of the YAMJ on the PCH, I've got tons of movies with wrong pictures and info, that's why I prefer to have it under control and choose myself what info I'd like to display.

I guess I'm going with the self-made HTPC. You are right, the future and the possibility for upgrades is important. Especially the SSD factor is a big +, the Zotac and Revo don't have SSD disks inside.

I'm also glad that the Harmony will work with it since in the end my wife will also have to use the new device Big Grin

I'm already excited for this new project!
ecopsorn Wrote:I guess I'm going with the self-made HTPC. You are right, the future and the possibility for upgrades is important. Especially the SSD factor is a big +, the Zotac and Revo don't have SSD disks inside.

Just to note, that you can put an SSD into a Zotac and Revo boxes (I have a SSD in one of my Revo 1600s).
gabbott Wrote:Just to note, that you can put an SSD into a Zotac and Revo boxes (I have a SSD in one of my Revo 1600s).

Ok, thanks for the info. I will list all the components I'd like in the HTPC and compare the costs than to one of the prebuilt systems, let's see how that will turn out Wink
I came from have a PCH too. Too bad they can't get the stuff together and work on firmware...Confused

Once you start messing around with XBMC and figure out how it works you will not look back..Wink

ecopsorn Wrote:Ok, thanks for the info. I will list all the components I'd like in the HTPC and compare the costs than to one of the prebuilt systems, let's see how that will turn out Wink

I also came from the popcorn! And migrated to a XBMC on a prebuilt.

Now I only wish I could upgrade my setup by just upgrading one component, and I can not!

My advice is: You are upgrading from something in a "short" period of time, and therefore you are likely to upgrade again. Make it easier for you, and go for a "built it yourself" system. Ask the forum, of follow eskro's guide directly (I myself will ask the forum since I cannot buy some of eskro's advice locally)
horserider Wrote:My advice is: You are upgrading from something in a "short" period of time, and therefore you are likely to upgrade again. Make it easier for you, and go for a "built it yourself" system. Ask the forum, of follow eskro's guide directly (I myself will ask the forum since I cannot buy some of eskro's advice locally)

Sure, let's see how that turns out. I'm from Switzerland, so most likely I can't find the same parts that eskro is listing either. I will definitely have a more detailed look in his builts before I choose the components, but I'll definitely list my build in the forums as well to get some more advice.
So far I already feel at home here at XBMC, seems to be a great community..... byebye PCH troubleshoot forum Cool
BORIStheBLADE Wrote:I came from have a PCH too. Too bad they can't get the stuff together and work on firmware...Confused
I think it's even worse, they are actualy working constantly on the firmware and still haven't gotten a single decent one out yet Shocked.
Im going to take a look at YANFOE since you can never have to much control of your data Smile
XBMC-ATV2 - Frodo
XBMC-LR - Zotac Zbox Plus - 36gb SSD - 3Gb Mem - Frodo
XBMC-BR - Foxcon 330i - 16gb SSD - 2Gb Mem - FrodoRc3
XBMC-Mini - MacMini - 128Gb OCZ Agility - 5Gb Mem - Frodo - Running SQL - Auto Library Update
Synology DiskStation Ds1512+(Dsm 4.3-3776) - 4gb Mem - 5*3tb Wd Reds [SHR] - 2GB Bonded Link - (SSD Cache WIP)

ecopsorn Wrote:I think it's even worse, they are actualy working constantly on the firmware and still haven't gotten a single decent one out yet Shocked.

Great hardware, but thats it.
I had the A100 and they could never get firmware to fix basic features.. Too bad..

BigO Wrote:Im going to take a look at YANFOE since you can never have to much control of your data Smile

Good decision Smile . The great thing is that about half a year ago the software got open source as well, earlier you'd have to donate to get support (which I still do sometimes since the software is great). I'm using the v 1.0 version now, but the v 2.0 Alpha version looks very promising as well already.

Great support in their forums as well by the way.
ecopsorn Wrote:I think it's even worse, they are actualy working constantly on the firmware and still haven't gotten a single decent one out yet Shocked.

I also used to own a C200. When I realised that IMHO they would never produce a solid, perfectly working firmware simply because their programmers didn't seem to be skilled enough to fix the firmware issues (they always appeared to rely on Sigma because of that) I gave up and built myself a Linux HTPC.

Owning a C200 was for me sort of like being a soccer fan of a constantly losing team, everytime a new firmware release was imminent I got all hopeful that this would be a winner, only to be sorely disappointed every time. Sad

But YAMJ is great, I'm actually using YAMJ on my HTPC! Big Grin
ion_man Wrote:I also used to own a C200. When I realised that IMHO they would never produce a solid, perfectly working firmware simply because their programmers didn't seem to be skilled enough to fix the firmware issues (they always appeared to rely on Sigma because of that) I gave up and built myself a Linux HTPC.

Owning a C200 was for me sort of like being a soccer fan of a constantly losing team, everytime a new firmware release was imminent I got all hopeful that this would be a winner, only to be sorely disappointed every time. Sad

But YAMJ is great, I'm actually using YAMJ on my HTPC! Big Grin

Really?!?

Each to their own but personally I wouldn't go back to the PCH/YAMJ unless there was fear of death!Nod
Don't get me wrong, using YAMJ on the PCH worked well and looked very good for what it was.
On nearly any skin XBMC completely destroys it! In looks, usability and don't even get me started on set up and scanning!.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Switch from PCH C-200 to any HTPC, advice needed0