Methods for connecting a projector to PC without wiring?
Hey guys

I've been daydreaming about adding a projector to my living room,
but running the HDMI cable from the entertainment center to the projector
is a problem for me. I have an unused lighting receptacle in the center
of the room that I think I can probably use to power the projector.

1) Can someone recommend a HDMI-over-powerline or wireless-HDMI (or some other technology) that I can use to connect the projector to the PC without cutting my ceiling and walls and having to patch drywall after?

2) How much throw does a typical projector need? To get maximum screen size?

I plan to go with a true 1080p projector if that makes a difference.

thanks

PS. any other buying tips?
Wireless HDMI solutions are pretty pricey, though if you've got the budget to get a projector, I dare say that can extend a bit (no pun intended). Why not run a HDMI cable through the roof?

The projector will give the throw info as a ratio of the throw length to picture size, such as 1.5:1. This means that for each 1.5m of throw, you'll get 1m of image size. So for a 3m image, you'll need a 4.5m throw.

In terms of power, you should not tag it on the the lighting circuit. You will need to extend the ring main to the ceiling hole. There are also a few regulations you'll need to follow in terms of an accessible switch which make it less than simple.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
numb7rs Wrote:Wireless HDMI solutions are pretty pricey, though if you've got the budget to get a projector, I dare say that can extend a bit (no pun intended). Why not run a HDMI cable through the roof?

This is on the main floor, so its not attic above, its the 2nd floor. :/
Projector's are pricey enough, I'd like to try and solve this as cheaply as possible on top of not having to open up my walls and ceiling. Smile

numb7rs Wrote:In terms of power, you should not tag it on the the lighting circuit. You will need to extend the ring main to the ceiling hole. There are also a few regulations you'll need to follow in terms of an accessible switch which make it less than simple.
I was thinking more along the lines of, turning that junction into an outlet plug on the ceiling, but I haven't checked the power requirements of projectors, nor looked to see what wiring is actually there and if its sufficient.

thanks for the tips
bluenote Wrote:This is on the main floor, so its not attic above, its the 2nd floor. :/
Projector's are pricey enough, I'd like to try and solve this as cheaply as possible on top of not having to open up my walls and ceiling. Smile
You're going to have to open the floor above to get power there anyway, why not run data at the same time?

bluenote Wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of, turning that junction into an outlet plug on the ceiling...
This is what I was saying you can't do. The lights in the house will be on a separate circuit to all the plugs. You'll need to change that power point to draw from the ring main, not the lighting circuit.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
They must do things differently where you live, because I'm sure at least some lighting and plugs share fuses and are grouped in areas rather than functions.

On top of that all my lighting circuits are underutilized because I run CFL's in every socket in the house, so 300W for a projector in place of a fixture is unlikely to overload that particular circuit. [Although I would check].

Anyways, the electrical I have local resources to help me with, what I do need help with is getting HDMI data to the projector...
check this out and it might work for your configuration- Brite-View HDelight (BV-1222) Wireless Stream Uncompressed FULL 1080P HD Beam-to-HDTV In-Room Transmission Kit
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
or this slightly more expensive-

1. HP Wireless TV Connect
Thanks bluray, those actually look better than the ones I have been browsing.

I wonder if anyone here has had personal experience with any particular brands though, as these sorts of items strike me as one of those "this might not work as well as you hope" sorts of items..
bluenote Wrote:Thanks bluray, those actually look better than the ones I have been browsing.

I wonder if anyone here has had personal experience with any particular brands though, as these sorts of items strike me as one of those "this might not work as well as you hope" sorts of items..

I've tried all sorts of wireless video transmission in my house (not HDMI though) and I've never had a fully successful one working without a problem.
bluenote Wrote:Thanks bluray, those actually look better than the ones I have been browsing.

the reason i posted these wireless adapters because i used something very similar to it at my previous home. as long as long as you place the receiver and transmiter within the specified range and in line of sight, it'll work fine.
bluray Wrote:the reason i posted these wireless adapters because i used something very similar to it at my previous home. as long as long as you place the receiver and transmiter within the specified range and in line of sight, it'll work fine.

Sweet, thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Methods for connecting a projector to PC without wiring?0