[ATV1] No sound when streaming?
Hi
I recently upgraded to the latest nightly (2011-09-13). When trying to stream something the sound dissapears, even the menu sound and everything. To get it back I have to start up a movie on my network.
This happens only when I'm using optical out. Hdmi is fine.
Mp3 and all other sources are fine...just the streaming ones.

I have seen a few topics about this but no solution.

http://pastebin.com/J2dUZXaU

thanks
/J
This is really strange. I have identified that when playing a movie which describes the sound output as mp3 is what’s triggering this to happen, both from my library or stream. When playing ordinary mp3 it works just fine though.
The sound even disappears on the ordinary apple tv menu. (And reappears as soon as you play something with a non mp3 source)

Changing the playback source from optical to hdmi / analog does not help at first.
However this temporary solutions works for me. In the apple tv menu: Disable dolby digital before starting xbmc. In xbmc use hdmi. Then I get the sound out of my speakers, perhaps not the right source but at least it’s better than nothing at the moment.

If this helps anyone get any nearer solving my problem I would be grateful
Thanks /J
From STM labs (Crystalbuntu)

There are a few things that should be done in XBMC to get your experience as smooth as possible. Firstly, you should configure the audio codecs that your receiver is capable of receiving under Settings > System > Audio Output. This is the main reason why users claim they cannot hear sound properly, if at all. Make sure that XBMC is aware if you have a AC3 (DD) or DTS receiver.

Next, it is important to ensure that XBMC outputs sound to the correct device. This Ubuntu distribution will support TOSLINK and HDMI output. For HDMI output (menu sounds now work out of the box — July 2011), it is necessary to go to Settings > System > Audio Output and select the use of a Custom Device (obviously enabling Digital Sound Output), the custom device must be entered exactly as: plughw:0,3.
Sorry, I’m not sure I follow you here. I can get digital output when having which I believe is the correct settings entered in xbmc (telling it I have a dts enabled, coaxial output. But strangely now when using the latest nightly mp3 output from movies takes away all the sound as if it has disabled mp3 output. What I need is both to work and the only way for me to do this right now is ignoring the coaxial output using hdmi but still have the receiver connected through the optical.

I’m not using the Ubuntu version so I’m unsure if I can configure a custom output device (trying the plughw:0,3). The only options I have is the default and the built in.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV1] No sound when streaming?0