Squeezebox Duet for £60!
Lightbulb 
I love the squeezebox system, but not the price.

Then I came across the 02 Joggler, and I have one set up in one of our living rooms.

But for the other rooms I want a simple receiver with no lcd and just a remote. Basically a Squeezebox duet, but im not paying the price they want.

So I got thinking of Joggler esque ways to replicate it.

I first thought about maybe designing a receiver using an arduino and maybe some kind of super duper harmony remotes that can control everything.

I thought they had apps built into them so maybe an XBMC app, Squeezeplay app etc but then I found they were not apps just prebuilt command things. A bit lame.

So then I thought just use a cheap ass $50 Chinese import android phone / tablet as the remote. This could also be used as a multi remote like XBMC remote app etc. Perfect

But the arduino as receiver part came up blank (I dont have the knowledge to programme it myself or even if its possible).

Still sticking with the idea of using an android as the controller I went to find alternatives for the receiver.

I thought about building a mini pc. But thats just silly, if I wanted super cheap like £50 it would have to be a big old tower pc. If I wanted small it would have to be an expensive (relative to the project) atom nettop. But thats overpowered for what its going to be used for.

Then I remembered something.

Thin Clients.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LT310-VIA-C3-T...326wt_1139

for example.

Linux on it, install squeezeplay. Purchase a USB soundcard if needed (probably a good idea)

and then I came across this amazing thing.

http://www.ebuyer.com/252988-archos-28-i...let-501562

Now I dont see any reason this will not work?

The thin client is design to be just that, thin. Its small, lowwww power and basic processing power.

So perhaps anyone else has any comment or suggestions? But I think I may give it a go!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Squeezebox Duet for £60!0