How do I get rid of the black bars on the sides?
Hello

Today I got a IR reciever so I could program my Harmony One so I went through all the keys on my keyboard to see what they do (this was before I got smart and searched for the commands), then I programmed the Harmony One, everything works perfectly so I start watching a movie.

Now I notice the movie isn't in full size since I can see vertical black bars and not just horizontal black bars so I figure I must have hit a key earlier that made it do so, so I start pressing all the keys but damn it all I can't seem to fix it, every time I seems like I fix it and press backspace back to the movie it goes back to being shrinked size.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Scant information on which to base a reply, but do you use an ATI card and are you using 'adjust refresh rate'. Doubt it would have anything to do with setting up an IR receiver - though you never know.

If you do - you'll need to set overscan in Catalyst Control Centre for each refresh rate that you use eg: 24, 50, 60 etc.
Marcan Wrote:Hello

Today I got a IR reciever so I could program my Harmony One so I went through all the keys on my keyboard to see what they do (this was before I got smart and searched for the commands), then I programmed the Harmony One, everything works perfectly so I start watching a movie.

Now I notice the movie isn't in full size since I can see vertical black bars and not just horizontal black bars so I figure I must have hit a key earlier that made it do so, so I start pressing all the keys but damn it all I can't seem to fix it, every time I seems like I fix it and press backspace back to the movie it goes back to being shrinked size.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Keep on pressing the Z key to toggle the zoom modes until you're happy with it. Alternatively you may have altered the default zoom mode, with the default Confluence skin you can access this by playing a movie and then pressing enter, then going to the cinematic reel, set the appropriate options and then set as default for all movies (at the bottom of the menu)
I'm using DXVA to adjust refresh rate and it's been working perfectly untill today.

All the menus (where you can choose movies, tv-shows and so on) are the right size, it's only when I play a movie I get the wrong size, it's like the frame shrinks every time I start a movie.

Edit: I tried pressing Z a couple of times, the frame is still too small.
Marcan Wrote:I'm using DXVA to adjust refresh rate and it's been working perfectly untill today.

All the menus (where you can choose movies, tv-shows and so on) are the right size, it's only when I play a movie I get the wrong size, it's like the frame shrinks every time I start a movie.

Edit: I tried pressing Z a couple of times, the frame is still too small.
See post #2, if the overscan setting isn't right, no amount of 'z' pressing will cure the problem
steelman1991 Wrote:See post #2, if the overscan setting isn't right, no amount of 'z' pressing will cure the problem

Exactly how do I do that? I tried setting it to 24hz but then it changed the resolution to 1000p
I assume you are using an ATI card yes? - what one - your providing little information.

Open CCC and set your screen refresh rate as 24Hz and then after confirming the change to the resolution setting go back into CCC\MyDigitalFlatPanels\Scaling Options and set the Overscan by sliding the setting to the far right - this should be done for any other resolutions you intend to use with Adjust Refresh Rate in xbmc.
steelman1991 Wrote:I assume you are using an ATI card yes? - what one - your providing little information.

Open CCC and set your screen refresh rate as 24Hz and then after confirming the change to the resolution setting go back into CCC\MyDigitalFlatPanels\Scaling Options and set the Overscan by sliding the setting to the far right - this should be done for any other resolutions you intend to use with Adjust Refresh Rate in xbmc.

Sorry, it's a ATI 5450HD card.

I tried to do what you wrote but it wont allow me to change the scaling once I have it in 24hz or any other screen refresh rate except for 60hz.
Is your screen/TV capable of other resolution rates - otherwise there is nothing more to it than I already explained.

Here's some screenshots:-

Open CCC\Desktop Management\Desktop Properties\ - choose 1080p and 23Hz, or whatever resolution to change

Apply the change and Confirm. Re-open CCC and this time go to My Digital Flat Panels\Scaling Options (Digital Flat Panels - move slider to 0% and apply.

Repeat for each resolution required.
steelman1991 Wrote:Is your screen/TV capable of other resolution rates - otherwise there is nothing more to it than I already explained.

It says on the manufacturers page that it supports 24p, 30p, 50p, 60p

I fixed it, I think, I had to go to the HDTV Support pannel and check 1080p24 format, after that I could change the scaling so it's a full screen.

Thanks for all the help Smile
Your welcome glad to help - sometimes it can be a right pain just getting to the point of actually watching a movie.
Marcan Wrote:It says on the manufacturers page that it supports 24p, 30p, 50p, 60p

I fixed it, I think, I had to go to the HDTV Support pannel and check 1080p24 format, after that I could change the scaling so it's a full screen.

Thanks for all the help Smile

You might also want to now go into the Video Calibration section while a HD 1.78:1 show is playing and calibrate XBMC to fit perfectly on your display. I usually have to do this any time I mess with my video card settings.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do I get rid of the black bars on the sides?0