Media Flags
Question 
Hi folks.

I did a cursory check of the documentation and forum and found no answer, so I ask the assistance of the collective...

I have a VERY large video library, on NAS.

I enjoy the Media Flags (HD/SD/ DTS/5.1/etc.) that are now generated when scanning in new content.

How can I get the Media Flags to display on my older content, without having to do a full reinstall / rescan?

If there is a way that can automate that process, I would like to know.

(Reason why not wish to rescan: i) posters & fan art ii) watched flags.)

If I have overlooked a thread that addresses this, please feel free to provide link.

Thanks!

V.

My environment:

* Zotac HTPC, Win7 64-bit, XBMC Pre-11 Nightly Builds
* Content on 3 NAS devices,
* All movies in large subdirectories (not subdirectories per movie)
* Video Library exported to Separate Files per entry on the NAS.
... bump.

Anyone? Huh

Is there no way to just re-scan for media types to update the without wiping out all the NFO files and starting over?

I mean, sure, you can find out what a media flag IS at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Media_flags

... but nothing on how to update the files that you already have without the media flags.

Any scripting geniuses out there? Could you create a python script or .bat that would check each movie and write the info into the existing .nfo file?

Is that kind of thing even possible?

V.

(environment: Nightly pre-11 builds, Confuence skin)
You do already have NFO files stored with the movies?
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Machine-Sanctum Wrote:You do already have NFO files stored with the movies?

Yes.

With over 1700 video "items", I have used the export function to ensure that the nfo, tbn and jpg are stored with the video source file on my NAS boxes.

So, in my case, my filestructure for my NAS would be:

\\NAS-1\public\Video\Films

And then in that subdirectory I would have files like:

Movie_Name (Year).iso
Movie_Name (Year).nfo
Movie_Name (Year).tbn
Movie_Name (Year).jpg

v.
You can use a metadata scanner which updates your NFO files.
After you still have to re-add all the movie to XBMC. So set the content of that source to none and then back to movies again.
Machine-Sanctum Wrote:You can use a metadata scanner which updates your NFO files.

Please, where IS this this "metadata scanner" of which you speak?

Would it only update the NFO, and NOT overwrite the information included? I wish not to lose the custome filenames that I have assigned to various films.

Machine-Sanctum Wrote:After you still have to re-add all the movie to XBMC. So set the content of that source to none and then back to movies again.

Ah... so wipe out all the local info and then rescan after the "metadata scanner".

Well... that kinda wipes out the watched flag.

However if it is a trade off between watched flags and media flags, I'll take the latter.

I look forward to your response / link. Thanks!

v.
Yeah sadly there is no easy way to do this from what i have seen. Sincve i store all my movie info directly on the NAS i have in the past, when making sweeping changes, just blanked the DB and allowed it to rescan, but like you said, you do loose all of the "watched" data.
XBMC-ATV2 - Frodo
XBMC-LR - Zotac Zbox Plus - 36gb SSD - 3Gb Mem - Frodo
XBMC-BR - Foxcon 330i - 16gb SSD - 2Gb Mem - FrodoRc3
XBMC-Mini - MacMini - 128Gb OCZ Agility - 5Gb Mem - Frodo - Running SQL - Auto Library Update
Synology DiskStation Ds1512+(Dsm 4.3-3776) - 4gb Mem - 5*3tb Wd Reds [SHR] - 2GB Bonded Link - (SSD Cache WIP)

zebraitis Wrote:Please, where IS this this "metadata scanner" of which you speak?

Would it only update the NFO, and NOT overwrite the information included? I wish not to lose the custome filenames that I have assigned to various films.
You can use EMM-r (Windows)
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=110527

ViMediaManager (MAC)

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=109976

There are more of them (see supplemental tools)
http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=116

Maybe they're a bit extensive to what you need however they will get the job done.
I personally only used Ember and after you have set it up it will read all data from the NFO files. Including names and so on. After that you can "scrape media-> all movies-> meta data only".
This will inject the NFO files with the data it reads from the video files.
Don't know how ViMediaManager will respond.

Be carefull with what you do.
So my advice is to make a copy of some movies and place it somewhere and try it on only those. This way if something goes wrong only the copies are corrupted.

Quote:Ah... so wipe out all the local info and then rescan after the "metadata scanner".

Well... that kinda wipes out the watched flag.

However if it is a trade off between watched flags and media flags, I'll take the latter.

I look forward to your response / link. Thanks!

v.

I've done this multiple times and if i remove the source and re-add it all watched status are still there.
What you can do is export to single files (what you've done already). Remove the source, do the metadata scan and before importing it back to xbmc add this to
advancedsettings.xml
Code:
<advancedsettings>
   <videolibrary>
       <importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
   </videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>
This will import the watched status and how many times from the NFO files

Here's the advancedsettings.xml wiki
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...ttings.xml
Machine-Sanctum Wrote:You can ....

Thanks.

I will try this and commit to a response to the forum within a week.

Machine-Sanctum Wrote:This will import the watched status and how many times from the NFO files

On a side note, I attempted the advanced settings code for watched, and then did an export / overwrite, however... it did not seem to actually work for me... On a recent reinstall / rescan the NFO Files kept my modified movie name info, however it did not reflect the watched status.

But, I will solve one issue at a time.

v.
zebraitis Wrote:I will try this and commit to a response to the forum within a week.

OK... so, some feedback for the forum:

I tried to run EMM-r, and after troubleshooting a DB issue to get it working, I was disapointed with the results. The scan resulted in no film titles being displayed... and I just did not wish to spend any more time troubleshooing that ap to get it to work.

WHAT I DID FIND OUT WAS THIS:

As stated on the Media Flag Wiki page, way down on the page...

IF you have your files in .ISO format,
THEN you will not have media flags until you play that movie / ISO.

So, if you have DVD's stored in ISO format, just play a few seconds of the movie to get the Media Flags.

So, I post this for others who may be wondering why they may have the same issue on this topic.

Now, for me, It is too late... I chose to delete all the NFO files, artwork, etc., and start fresh. This will allow me to addres a lot of issues that I have wanted to do, but have put off. 1700+ will take some time.

(Luckally, I have an understanding wife... Nod )

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media Flags0