Asrock HTPC electric spark...
Hi,

This is my first post on this forum so hopefully it's in the right section. I have just bought a Asrock ion 3D and have noticed something when plugging the power adaptor in. When I plug the mains adaptor into the back of the Asrock there is a small spark. I also checked this with the lights off and sometimes the spark is enough to be seen through the USB ports. Once the mains adaptor is plugged in everything seems fine but I just found it weird for the unit to do this. Is this normal for a HTPC? Any help would be appreciated.
Anything electric that draws power when being plugged in will arc. The arch would only be seen when the cord is plugged into the wall.

So you are saying you saw a spark in the usb port??

Wink 
Thanks for your reply, when I plug the adaptor into the Asrock there is a spark which at point of contact is viewable through the gaps around the USB ports.
It's a bit weird that it's so visible, given that it's only a 19V supply. What happens if you plug it into the PC first, then the wall? Do you still get a spark inside the case?
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
Thanks for the reply numb7rs, I will try that and report back. Its only a day old so still has the full warranty but I was just a little worried loading everything on only to have to end up sending it back. And I have heard Scan are a little funny with there returns.
BigMo Wrote:Thanks for your reply, when I plug the adaptor into the Asrock there is a spark which at point of contact is viewable through the gaps around the USB ports.

Oh I see now. Hmm, never seen or heard of that happening.

BigMo Wrote:Thanks for your reply, when I plug the adaptor into the Asrock there is a spark which at point of contact is viewable through the gaps around the USB ports.
it must be flaw with your usb port internal wiring. can you try different usb port or differetn usb cable? i probably owned 30 pc's both at work and home for the past 20 years, and i never seen spark by plug in usb cable.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:it must be flaw with your usb port internal wiring. can you try different usb port or differetn usb cable? i probably owned 30 pc's both at work and home for the past 20 years, and i never seen spark by plug in usb cable.

The spark does not come from the USB sockets them self but can be seen from around the edges of the sockets.
BigMo Wrote:The spark does not come from the USB sockets them self but can be seen from around the edges of the sockets.
well when it spark, you can see only spark that is visible to your eyes. please try as i suggested it, and let us know how it turn out. if you still can see spark with other usb port and cable, you might want to exchange your htpc.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:well when it spark, you can see only spark that is visible to your eyes. please try as i suggested it, and let us know how it turn out. if you still can see spark with other usb port and cable, you might want to exchange your htpc.

From my understanding, the spark is coming from the power connection, not a USB one. USB is mentioned because there is a gap in the IO shield through which the spark can be seen.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

numb7rs Wrote:From my understanding, the spark is coming from the power connection, not a USB one. USB is mentioned because there is a gap in the IO shield through which the spark can be seen.

Thats exactly it. Im going to email Scan and just let them know.
Is there still a spark when you try what I suggested, and plug it into the wall last?

I would say this is pretty normal for any electrical contact which is why your advised not to use anything electrical if you smell gas Smile

I've certainly heard this from people who have owned laptops I'm guessing its something most people wouldn't notice on a Asrock as the connector is round the back

If your worried your better off asking Asrock they are pretty good when it comes to customer service I've always got prompt replies even with the time difference
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asrock HTPC electric spark...0