Does XBMC scrape fanart by default ??
A few questions about scraping, i am using dharma 10.1 and the aeon MQ2 skin. When i let it do a scan of my media it doesnt show a lot of the covers and quite a few fanarts, i think the ones it is displaying are ones that i set when i used YANFOE a long while ago. All of my film folders are named correctly, foldername(year)/moviename(year).ext

If XBMC finds jpg in the folders does it ignore that film for a scrape ?

Will XBMC by default select high quality fanart and posters ?

Would it be a good idea to delete ALL the .nfo files, jpg.s and let XBMC do a fresh scrape ?

EDIT: some of the movies are using fanart as the poster for the cover even though there is fanart and cover artwork in the folder...i cant see how to set XBMC to use the already set artwork in the folders set by YANFOE ??
loady Wrote:When i let it do a scan of my media it doesnt show a lot of the covers and quite a few fanarts, i think the ones it is displaying are ones that i set when i used YANFOE a long while ago.
Which are you saying...
you have NO Fanart?
you have OLD Fanart?
- and you want updated/newer fanart?

loady Wrote:If XBMC finds jpg in the folders does it ignore that film for a scrape ?
Depends upon the name of the .jpg

loady Wrote:Will XBMC by default select high quality fanart and posters ?
I believe there is a setting for this 1080, 720, etc. Of course such fanart must be available at the scraper site(s).

loady Wrote:Would it be a good idea to delete ALL the .nfo files, jpg.s and let XBMC do a fresh scrape Huh
That depends on what your goal is and what outcome you expect etc. You could delete but leave them in Recyle Bin so you can easily restore them if you didn't like the result. Secondly, by now XBMC center has things stored in cache files so they would have to be cleaned out etc before you would see changes. Unfortunately it seems to be a PITA to do this.

loady Wrote:EDIT: some of the movies are using fanart as the poster for the cover even though there is fanart and cover artwork in the folder...i cant see how to set XBMC to use the already set artwork in the folders set by YANFOE ??
Sounds like you might have differences in naming conventions for artwork, covers, etc between XBMC and YANFOE (whatever that is). There may be differences in the .nfo file structure too? I guess we need to see what else is in your movename(year) folders to know.

example XBMC Convention (bold is required setup)

C:\MOVIES\
Movie.Title.year\
-----^-Movie.Title.year.mkv
-----^-Movie.Title.year.nfo
-----^-Movie.Title.year.tbn
-----^-Movie.Title.year-fanart.jpg
.nfo = notepad.txt file (in xml format) with extension changed from .txt to .nfo
.tbn = the move poster, change .jpg to .tbn (thumbnail)
-fanart.jpg = the background image

this post has an example .nfo for movies
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=890752&postcount=2

this post has what you need for TV shows
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=890800&postcount=5
C:\TV\
TV.Show.Title\
Season.01\
-----^-TV.Show.Title.s1e1.Episode.Name.mkv
-----^-TV.Show.Title.s1e1.Episode.Name.nfo
-----^-TV.Show.Title.s1e1.Episode.Name.tbn
Season.02\
fanart.jpg
folder.jpg (show banner or poster)
season01.tbn
season02.tbn
tvshow.nfo
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
Thanks for clarifying that...

Quote:Which are you saying...
you have NO Fanart?
you have OLD Fanart?
- and you want updated/newer fanart?

I have fanart and yes some of it is older but its all high quality, but i want XBMC to scrape higher quality as well.

Quote:Originally Posted by loady View Post
If XBMC finds jpg in the folders does it ignore that film for a scrape ?
Quote:Depends upon the name of the .jpg

The .jpgs are named the same as the film name filmname(year).jpg

Quote:Quote:
Originally Posted by loady View Post
Will XBMC by default select high quality fanart and posters ?

I believe there is a setting for this 1080, 720, etc. Of course such fanart must be available at the scraper site(s).

Any idea where this setting is ?, i am using MQ2 whilst pulling out my hair

Would it be a good idea to delete ALL the .nfo files, jpg.s and let XBMC do a fresh scrape

That depends on what your goal is and what outcome you expect etc. You could delete but leave them in Recyle Bin so you can easily restore them if you didn't like the result. Secondly, by now XBMC center has things stored in cache files so they would have to be cleaned out etc before you would see changes. Unfortunately it seems to be a PITA to do this.

My goal after having renamed all my folders to filmname(year) is to have XBMC scrape correct covers and jpgs at higher quality, would be ideal where it finds incorrect extension jpf to renamed but i guess thats asking for to much

EDIT: some of the movies are using fanart as the poster for the cover even though there is fanart and cover artwork in the folder...i cant see how to set XBMC to use the already set artwork in the folders set by YANFOE ??

Sounds like you might have differences in naming conventions for artwork, covers, etc between XBMC and YANFOE (whatever that is). There may be differences in the .nfo file structure too? I guess we need to see what else is in your movename(year) folders to know.

example XBMC Convention (bold is required setup)

C:\MOVIES\
Movie.Title.year\
-----^-Movie.Title.year.mkv
-----^-Movie.Title.year.nfo
-----^-Movie.Title.year.tbn
-----^-Movie.Title.year-fanart.jpg
.nfo = notepad.txt file (in xml format) with extension changed from .txt to .nfo
.tbn = the move poster, change .jpg to .tbn (thumbnail)
-fanart.jpg = the background image

this post has an example .nfo for movies
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=890752&postcount=2

this post has what you need for TV shows
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=890800&postcount=5
C:\TV\
TV.Show.Title\
Season.01\
-----^-TV.Show.Title.s1e1.Episode.Name.mkv
-----^-TV.Show.Title.s1e1.Episode.Name.nfo
-----^-TV.Show.Title.s1e1.Episode.Name.tbn
Season.02\
fanart.jpg
folder.jpg (show banner or poster)
season01.tbn
season02.tbn
tvshow.nfo

Yes there was some slight differences in the movies, instead of..
-fanart.jpg = the background image mine was...
.fanart.jpg, this can be changed easily enmass i think, also instead of..
.tbn = the move poster, change .jpg to .tbn (thumbnail) mine was
.jpg

having messed a little with the menu, one film, 28 weeks later seemed to use a still from the film, there was no .tbn or .jpg pertaining to the image on my screen so i have no idea where its getting that from, certainly not from my archive, maybe the cache that you spoke of ? but it gave me the option to set a local thumb and that is now corrected...all my movie downloads are now being named to XBMC convention so now i want to have XBMC download higher quality thumbs and fanart from here on in...all the other stuff i can correct.

With regard to TV shows, no reall issue here as i have never scraped them before so they are to convention, however, i had set sab or SB to use posters instead of banners...do i just delete the posters and let XBMC do a scrape but select banners instead ?

FYI... YANFOE (Yet Another NFO Editor) is a very good media manager, now free, it does a very good job at scaping and letting you select fanart to set to your archive, im sure i can change its convetion to match that of XBMC.
Great, it sounds like you are able to get the naming sorted out so you are well on your way there.

loady Wrote:I believe there is a setting for this 1080, 720, etc. Of course such fanart must be available at the scraper site(s). Any idea where this setting is ?, i am using MQ2 whilst pulling out my hair
Of course I don't remember where in "settings" it is. Sorry, you will just have to look for it some more. Sometimes its easier to find things under the default (Confluence) skin and then revert back to Aeon.
loady Wrote:having messed a little with the menu, one film, 28 weeks later seemed to use a still from the film, there was no .tbn or .jpg pertaining to the image on my screen so i have no idea where its getting that from
xbmc seems to make this random screen grab thumbnail when it is unable to scrape fanart and/or unable to find it within the movie folder. Like I said, changing pictures with xbmc... xbmc can be quite stubborn about it sometimes.
loady Wrote:now i want to have XBMC download higher quality thumbs and fanart from here on in.
If you are saying you want xbmc to actively search for new/better/higher resolution images automatically it is not designed to do that. In fact, the xbmc database seems more resistant to change than rather than for it lol. Once you have an .nfo file or information in the database it will largely be ignored by future scans.

loady Wrote:With regard to TV shows, no reall issue here as i have never scraped them before so they are to convention, however, i had set sab or SB to use posters instead of banners...do i just delete the posters and let XBMC do a scrape but select banners instead ?
IMO, better to use SB to scrape your TV shows instead of xbmc. SB will generate all the .nfo files etc. (note xbmc uses it's database - it doesn't create .nfo files unless you export your library as individual files). Change your setting in SB banners, then delete the 'folder.jpg' files. Rescan the tvshow in SB and it will regenerate the banners for you. Then see about getting xbmc to change what it displays.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Quote:Of course I don't remember where in "settings" it is. Sorry, you will just have to look for it some more. Sometimes its easier to find things under the default (Confluence) skin and then revert back to Aeon.

XBMC certainly is stubborn, i seem to have confluence and MQ2 enabled, i though this is what might be stopping me seeing cover flow or otherviews, i cant seem to disable either skin the option to do so seems to be greyed out or not clickable.

Quote:If you are saying you want xbmc to actively search for new/better/higher resolution images automatically it is not designed to do that. In fact, the xbmc database seems more resistant to change than rather than for it lol. Once you have an .nfo file or information in the database it will largely be ignored by future scans.

No, what i already have i will set up manually, what i meant was that any film that is downloaded from here on in and added to the XBMC library i want XBMC to download the highest quality pictures to populate the folder..i dont have any post scraping set up before the movie is moved to the XBMC centre folders.

Not sure whether to uninstall XBMC and start from scratch.
loady Wrote:Not sure whether to uninstall XBMC and start from scratch.
Hey, I went with the nuclear option quite a few times when I first started, no shame in that lol.
Also, I noticed a difference with missing features, settings, and such when I installed xbmc via R-click "run as admin." vs. just double clicking. Something always seemed screwy when I did the R-click method.

I have not had to reinstall once I learned how to delete the video cache files and the videos34.db file to get the artwork corrected. More on that in this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=110463 Though there is more than one way to do it: Remove source, clean library, re-add the source is one that seems to work for me too.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does XBMC scrape fanart by default ??0