Running 2 Routers?
I currently have an all Wifi setup in my house. I have my iMac with external harddrive running ftp for my AppleTV 2 xbmc box. I can stream 720 movies with no problems at all, but I noticed if I am downloading something with a torrent client I'll start to see buffering.

I have an extra router laying around so my thought was to let the iMac access the internet from my wifi, and plug the iMac into the extra router and only use the extra router to stream to my media center.

My question is will this give me faster speeds because its two different networks or will my iMac only be cable to do so much at once that it won't matter?
Once you get the machines on differnet networks, yes, they would have more bandwidth to deal with. However, getting the two networks to speak to each other sounds like it's also going to be beyond your skillset.

WiFi as you found is really not great for streaming content. Wireless G for example, is 54Mbps theoretical TOTAL. If you have three machines, all three would share the 54Mbps that you have. Each one doesn't get 54Mbps.

I always suggest people wire whatever they can.
Try limiting the torrent client in bandwidth, or better, the amount of peer-connections (per torrent or in total)

That might help.
Kirky99 Wrote:Once you get the machines on differnet networks, yes, they would have more bandwidth to deal with. However, getting the two networks to speak to each other sounds like it's also going to be beyond your skillset.

WiFi as you found is really not great for streaming content. Wireless G for example, is 54Mbps theoretical TOTAL. If you have three machines, all three would share the 54Mbps that you have. Each one doesn't get 54Mbps.

I always suggest people wire whatever they can.

What I'll do then to simplify everything, I'll take my extra laptop and turn it into a media server. I'll take it and hook it and the apple tv up to the extra router and then when I need to a movie on it I'll activate its wifi on my internet network and copy it over.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Running 2 Routers?0