5.1 sound in Windows 7 64..
Question 
I'm having a weird problem.

Previously, when I went to the "configure speaker" option under the sound menu in Win7, I had several options there, such as 5.1 surround and stereo.

However, just a couple days ago, I noticed that only speaker is available. This is boggling my mind, because I have my A/V receiver set to "Straight" and it's just coming in stereo.

I have the most recent nvidia drivers, didn't' correct the issue.

My signature shows the motherboard I use.

I use HDMI to connect that to a Yamaha HTR-4063 A/V receiver which is connected to 5.1 speakers.

An HDMI cable connects the A/V receiver to my Philips television. The A/V supports a lorry load of formats, so I'm not sure why I'm having this issue where it insists on two channels.

I've always been a bit confused how this works, which is why i preferred the "straight" setting. That said, XBMC "does" appear to be working properly by choosing Dolby or DTS, etc. Or PCM. The audio output device on XBMC is using DirectSound: NVIDIA HDMI Out ... I'm just confused as to why...has anyone else had this happen?

Oddly enough, if I go to the Nvidia HDMI out Properties, it says max Number of Channels is 2.

I'm just confused as what is going on and after 2 days of googling and reading a load of nonsense, all I can think of is that my EDID info is goofy, but removing and re-installing hasn't situated anything.

My MonInfo is http://pastebin.com/52QBZLhM

Any help is appreciated...I've scoured a lot of Nvidia and Microsoft forums, and some of the info there is absolutely rubbish/not helpful. For instance, I know it can do it, as I had it set up that way before as I remember doing the "configure speaker" and my hardware hasn't changed whatsoever.
I have the same motherboard. On Win7, I use the Realteck settings on Digital Output via Optical and it works fine. Don't know for sure if it will work over HDMI.

You can check here for other ideas - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=109314
Go in to Windows Media Center setup and run the audio setup, you can set 5.1 sound there. I Just went through this same problem. I KNOW FOR SURE I used to have the options in speaker setup, but they're not there anymore.

Mike
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
in control panel do these- hardware/sound>sound>playback>set nvidia hdmi output to default device>configure speaker setup to "stereo". if you want full detail on it, i can explain why you need to select stereo.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:in control panel do these- hardware/sound>sound>playback>set nvidia hdmi output to default device>configure speaker setup to "stereo". if you want full detail on it, i can explain why you need to select stereo.

What happens if I want to play a computer game in 5.1 and it is set to stereo? That's my concern, because I did notice after proper testing, that if I have it on "direct" xbmc will play it right, so to speak.
fional Wrote:What happens if I want to play a computer game in 5.1 and it is set to stereo? That's my concern, because I did notice after proper testing, that if I have it on "direct" xbmc will play it right, so to speak.
if you're passing through audio via hdmi, it doesn't matter how many speakers you tell windows to passthrough. it'll only passthrough the audio codecs within the game or movie file. that is why it called "passthrough".

you need to set it to stereo because when you play a non passthrough audio format (usually 2ch stuff) stereo will stay as stereo and pass to the amp cleanly, and the other audio codecs (5.1/7.1) will be passed through with raw codecs cleanly too.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:if you're passing through audio via hdmi, it doesn't matter how many speakers you tell windows to passthrough. it'll only passthrough the audio codecs within the game or movie file. that is why it called "passthrough".

you need to set it to stereo because when you play a non passthrough audio format (usually 2ch stuff) stereo will stay as stereo and pass to the amp cleanly, and the other audio codecs (5.1/7.1) will be passed through with raw codecs cleanly too.

Thanks for explaining that (and simply too!) for me, I really appreciate it.

So basically that means I'm set and there's nothing to worry about - just the way I like to be Smile

Thanks again,

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
5.1 sound in Windows 7 64..0