Use folder.jpg as movie poster.
Question 
I want to add all my movies to a single library, and I want to view them with all their posters in their posterific glory!
All my movies are in a single directory "MOVIES". I added it as a source under VIDEOS-FILES-MOVIES.
Here's the structure:

C Drive
Movies(directory)
MOVIE1(folder)
MOVIE1.AVI (movie file)
FOLDER.JPG (Poster of MOVIE1)

How do I add the movies in the directory to my Videos library with the posters on, and without being forced to use annoying scrapers to get the posters? If I go to VIDEOS-FILES-MOVIES-MOVIE1-movie1.avi, right click, and select "manually add to library", it shows up in the library, but without the poster.
This question comes up a lot. The naming conventions and file types xbmc looks for in your folders are below. When these are there it will use them instead of scraping.

C:\MOVIES\
Movie.Title.year\
-----^-Movie.Title.year.mkv
-----^-Movie.Title.year.tbn
-----^-Movie.Title.year-fanart.jpg
-----^-Movie.Title.year.nfo

.tbn
this is the movie poster, just change .jpg to .tbn for it to work
-fanart.jpg
this is the background image note the "-"

.nfo
this is a text file (notepad.txt) changed to .nfo
here you can customize what metadata you display. Also If you have anything where the scraper does not work you will need to create this file yourself in order to view it in Library mode. An example .nfo file below shows what it looks like. You do not need to include all the entries. One much less detailed than this will work just fine.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<movie>
    <title>Hanna</title>
    <originaltitle>Hanna</originaltitle>
    <rating>7.000000</rating>
    <epbookmark>0.000000</epbookmark>
    <year>2011</year>
    <top250>0</top250>
    <votes>30,975</votes>
    <outline></outline>
    <plot>Hanna is a teenage girl who has the strength, the stamina, and the smarts of a soldier. These come from being raised by her father, an ex-CIA man, in the wilds of Finland. Living a life unlike any other teenager, her upbringing and training have been one and the same, all geared to making her the perfect assassin. The turning point in her adolescence is a sharp one; sent into the world by her father on a mission, Hanna journeys stealthily across Europe while eluding agents dispatched after her by a ruthless intelligence operative with secrets of her own. As she nears her ultimate target, Hanna faces startling revelations about her existence and unexpected questions about her humanity.</plot>
    <tagline>Adapt or die.</tagline>
    <runtime>111</runtime>
    <thumb></thumb>
    <fanart>
        <thumb></thumb>
    </fanart>
    <mpaa>Rated PG-13</mpaa>
    <playcount>0</playcount>
    <lastplayed></lastplayed>
    <id>tt0993842</id>
    <genre>Action</genre>
    <genre>Adventure</genre>
    <genre>Drama</genre>
    <genre>Foreign</genre>
    <genre>Thriller</genre>
    <genre>Crime</genre>
    <genre>Mystery</genre>
    <country>United States of America</country>
    <country>United Kingdom</country>
    <country>Germany</country>
    <credits>Seth Lochhead</credits>
    <credits>David Farr</credits>
    <director>Joe Wright</director>
    <premiered></premiered>
    <status></status>
    <code></code>
    <aired></aired>
    <studio>Holleran Company</studio>
    <trailer>plugin://plugin.video.youtube/?action=play_video&amp;videoid=1zd4zGt13IE</trailer>
    <fileinfo>
        <streamdetails>
            <video>
                <codec>h264</codec>
                <aspect>2.352941</aspect>
                <width>1920</width>
                <height>816</height>
                <durationinseconds>6650</durationinseconds>
            </video>
            <audio>
                <codec>dca</codec>
                <language>eng</language>
                <channels>6</channels>
            </audio>
            <subtitle>
                <language>eng</language>
            </subtitle>
        </streamdetails>
    </fileinfo>
    <actor>
        <name>Saoirse Ronan</name>
        <role>Hanna</role>
        <thumb></thumb>
    </actor>
    <actor>
        <name>Eric Bana</name>
        <role>Erik Heller</role>
        <thumb></thumb>
    </actor>
</movie>
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
outatouch0 Wrote:This question comes up a lot. The naming conventions and file types xbmc looks for in your folders are below. When these are there it will use them instead of scraping.

C:\MOVIES\
Movie.Title.year\
-----^-Movie.Title.year.mkv
-----^-Movie.Title.year.tbn
-----^-Movie.Title.year-fanart.jpg
-----^-Movie.Title.year.nfo

XBMC supports many image types including folder.jpg you also don't need to use the file name if each movie is in its own folder which is a much easier option if you getting images manually

fanart.jpg
movie.tbn
movie.nfo
movie-trailer.mov

All the above will work named exactly that but you must select "Use folder names for lookups" when you set content

@Vatsalj

So in case you missed it you need to select "Use folder names for lookups" and then your folder.jpg should work
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
>>X<<' Wrote:XBMC supports many image types including folder.jpg you also don't need to use the file name if each movie is in its own folder which is a much easier option if you getting images manually

fanart.jpg
movie.tbn
movie.nfo
movie-trailer.mov

All the above will work named exactly that but you must select "Use folder names for lookups" when you set content

@Vatsalj

So in case you missed it you need to select "Use folder names for lookups" and then your folder.jpg should work

Thanks for that. I was unawares. Smile
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Use folder.jpg as movie poster.0