• 3(current)
Finally a worthy AMD mini-ITX CPU??
Balinus Wrote:I'll just swap the Asrock E350 for the A4-3400, and wait for proper HW support under Linux! Smile

edit - There is some slight frame drop though on my C2D without HW accel (but on my workstation, which is bloated to say the least).

I'm very much liking the A4-3400, has anyone seen reviews of it yet? Like how it compares to the i3-2100.

I would also rather run linux than windows, any website/place to keep tabs on for when it gets hardware support/acceleration?
i have no idea...
contact AMD tech support about it Smile
Djangostar Wrote:Ville St Laurent in da house! Big Grin

69.99$ is online http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sk...acture=AMD
free shipping. check it out .

Nice! They happen to have in stock some items that I wanted from newegg.ca.
jonoff Wrote:I'm very much liking the A4-3400, has anyone seen reviews of it yet? Like how it compares to the i3-2100.

I would also rather run linux than windows, any website/place to keep tabs on for when it gets hardware support/acceleration?

Still haven't found a review. :/
Guys, is there any reason with this particular cpu that a larger PSU than 120watt would be required?

I am interested in the Wesena ITX-6 Mini ITX case and it only supports out-board PSU of up to 120 watts. I would only be using the motherboard/cpu/ssd, no optical storage or other devices.

Also, this particular case indicates that maximum height of motherboard with cpu/cooler can be no more than 1.5" high, I'm not sure if that is particularly tight or not.
i went through this exact discussion with another user who owns a 120w PicoPsu
and he said it wont cut it,,,

As they are now,
PicoPSU's are for motherboards that come with low power CPU's altogether,,,

example, the ZACATE E-350 platform or the ATOM/iON ...
I thought the 65W TDP was for the MB+CPU+GPU ?
TDP (Thermal design power)
~taken from wiki~
is the maximum amount of power the cooling system in a computer is required to dissipate.
For example, a laptop's CPU cooling system may be designed for a 20 watt TDP,
which means that it can dissipate up to 20 watts of heat without exceeding the maximum junction
temperature for the computer chip.
Balinus Wrote:I thought the 65W TDP was for the MB+CPU+GPU ?

65W should be the total for cpu/gpu, but not for motherboard/RAM. Still hard to see it using over 100 watts but I will go with the expert advice here
just ask PoofyHairGuy, he's got like at least 3 differerent PicoPSU's,,,
He had trouble even powering a single core CELERON Tongue
eskro Wrote:just ask PoofyHairGuy, he's got like at least 3 differerent PicoPSU's,,,
He had trouble even powering a single core CELERON Tongue

Right, but did he have an outboard video card that pulled 50 watts by itself? There is also a 150 watt picoPSU and power brick.

The biggest problem with pico might not be total power being supplied, it might be cost, since it's about $90 for a 150 watt unit.

I guess we would need someone with one of these cpus to do a kill-o-watt meter check and find out what it's really pulling.

Here's a review from TomhsHardware which ran the A8 and total power consumption peaked out at about 150 watts, but this is a 100 TDP chip, I would have to imagine that A4 uses less.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-...75-18.html
yes, probably with a GPU card installed...
as we all know, INTEL gfx are ****
eskro Wrote:yes, probably with a GPU card installed...
as we all know, INTEL gfx are ****

So true!

Well, I'm tempted to try this, as I have a hard time believing that a mini-ATX, 65TDP CPU/GPU, SSD and motherboard/RAM are going to peak out at over 100 watts when playing 1080P MKV files.

If I go this route I will post the build here.
be my guest Smile
voip-ninja Wrote:So true!

Well, I'm tempted to try this, as I have a hard time believing that a mini-ATX, 65TDP CPU/GPU, SSD and motherboard/RAM are going to peak out at over 100 watts when playing 1080P MKV files.

If I go this route I will post the build here.
i wouldn't bet on that 120w to power everything. you might want to verify the overall power consumption here- eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Finally a worthy AMD mini-ITX CPU??0