Possible to boot XBMC from Flash drive?
I was thinking of purchasing an SSD for my next htpc build but thought it would be great if I could boot an XBMC install from a flash drive. Is this even possible?
Ok so I found the answer to booting from a flash drive but are there any disadvantages to running xbmc on a live install compared to a windows install?
You probably are not going to like this answer, but the general consensus is to run XBMC on the platform you are most comfortable. If that is windows then do windows, linux do some linux distro or live.

XBMC seems to work exactly the same on all the systems. The one exception is that I think there are some workarounds for better blue ray playback on windows, but do not hold me to that.
It will boot off of USB just fine with the live version, that is how i used to have mine set up but it took a while to boot up and as my movie collection got larger it took longer to scan and load up thumbs and stuff.

I opted for a nice 16gb SSSD and it really makes the system very snappy.
XBMC-ATV2 - Frodo
XBMC-LR - Zotac Zbox Plus - 36gb SSD - 3Gb Mem - Frodo
XBMC-BR - Foxcon 330i - 16gb SSD - 2Gb Mem - FrodoRc3
XBMC-Mini - MacMini - 128Gb OCZ Agility - 5Gb Mem - Frodo - Running SQL - Auto Library Update
Synology DiskStation Ds1512+(Dsm 4.3-3776) - 4gb Mem - 5*3tb Wd Reds [SHR] - 2GB Bonded Link - (SSD Cache WIP)

Well newegg has this SSD for 59.99 after MIR http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...39421-L05A Just really new to SSD and dont want to buy a low end SSD which would defeat the purpose.
You can run OpenELEC from a USB drive or from a SSD. I do both.
Geexbox is also another option, even runs very well from USB flash drive, use LinuxLive creator on it and away you go.
fluentdesigns Wrote:Ok so I found the answer to booting from a flash drive but are there any disadvantages to running xbmc on a live install compared to a windows install?

xbmc-live is basically debian linux with all the excess fat trimmed off.
its programmed to autologin/ autostart the xbmc dashboard when you hit the power button to give the look and feel of a set top box.

with windows you mite need a mouse and keyboard plugged in to log in to the pc and launch the xbmc program but is useful if you use the htpc for other stuff (firefox, email, im, ...).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Possible to boot XBMC from Flash drive?0