Noob to XBMC first build questions
Hey guys. After recently stumbling upon XBMC Ive decided to build a htpc. Now im not the most computer savvy guy but I'm not completely useless either. I decided I want to make my build from an NES and just needed some direction.

1) I would like to make it a dedicated xbmc machine but dont I need to install an os in order to install drivers for dvd, ect? Can I make it boot into XBMC and not the os bios in that case?

2) Do I have to use a usb IR receiver or is there an internal board i can buy?

3) I already have a Linksys Wireless G PCI Adapter, Its a few years old but it should be fine right?

That's it for now. Thanks everyone.
1) check openELEC.tv

2) buy a usb IR receiver

3) 1080P via WiFi is not recommanded.. the rest is fine..
eskro Wrote:3) 1080P via WiFi is not recommanded.. the rest is fine..

What sort of transfer rate occurs with 1080p? I'm wondering how close the dual band 802.11n is to it.
no rates to give you,,, only experience....
As eskro says, HD over WiFi is asking for problems.

Theoretically, it should be possible, but as many of us have found out, in real world situations, it doesn't work well. To answer the questions though, HD bitrate is only a fraction of the theoretical dual band wireless-n bandwidth.

I'm running one of my clients at wireless-n, it's about 20 feet away from the router (up one floor) and it only connects at 65Mbps. I can watch 720p rips OK, 1080p and they have all sorts of stutter, etc.

Wire if you can...
Kirky99 Wrote:As eskro says, HD over WiFi is asking for problems.

Theoretically, it should be possible, but as many of us have found out, in real world situations, it doesn't work well. To answer the questions though, HD bitrate is only a fraction of the theoretical dual band wireless-n bandwidth.

I'm running one of my clients at wireless-n, it's about 20 feet away from the router (up one floor) and it only connects at 65Mbps. I can watch 720p rips OK, 1080p and they have all sorts of stutter, etc.

Wire if you can...

+1
+100
Stated very well and can not be said more clearly than that. This can not be overstated. Should be just a sticky that says, "Thinking of wireless streaming? click here." Clicking activates a popup window that says simply "DON'T"
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Noob to XBMC first build questions0