skins ...how to?
Newbie here....I would like to add night as a skin for my atv2. I cannot seem to find the proper version for atv as it says file structure is wrong when I try to install from zip file.
I followed the instructions bellow posted by procrastinator.

Any help finding the proper file for the night skin and how to properly install would be appreciated. *note for some reason my pass is root not mobile if that makes any difference.

procrastinator Wrote:A friend asked me how to install a 3rd party repo onto their ATV2. I couldn't find a nice step-by-step instruction post on this forum so I wrote some instructions myself. I thought it might be good to stick it up here for everybodys' benefit, so here it is:

The easiest way to add or remove files from your ATV2 without delving into the command line is to use a SFTP program like Filezilla, or Cyberduck. Personally, I use Filezilla on Windows so this is what my description will focus on. The procedure shouldn't vary that much if you're using a different OS.

Method:
  1. Download, install, and run the Filezilla Client program from the link above
  2. In the boxes near the top of the Filezilla window enter the following details (here's an example of the Filezilla window for reference: link):

Host: enter the IP address of your ATV2
    Username: mobile
    Password: alpine (this is the default, if you've changed the password then enter whatever you changed it to)
    Port: 22

3. Hit the "Quick Connect" button
  4. The files and folders on your ATV2 should now be listed in the "Remote site" frames on the right-hand side.
  5. navigate to the folder
    /private/var/mobile/
  6. transfer the add-on zip file into this folder*
  7. In XBMC go to the Add Ons manager and choose to “install from zip”
  8. select the “Home Folder”
  9. find and select the zip file you want to install
  10. Done!

* NOTE: if you find, in step 6, that you cannot upload the file, try logging in again using the username “root”. After you have completed the transfer SSH into your ATV2 (UN: root, PW: alpine) and run the following command to restore file permissions
Code:
chown -R mobile.mobile /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC
By default, ATV2 has two accounts. They each serve a purpose.

user: root
pass: alpine

user: mobile
pass: alpine

Make sure to follow the instructions exactly. Or else, you will mess up your permission and likely run into other issues down the line. The post by Procrastinator is correct. At the very end, he even detail how to restore the ownership should it got messed up unintentionally.
Thank you for the quick reply. I could only login using root and uploaded the file to the specified location.
Do I need to login using "mobile" for it to work?

I couldnt figure out how to ssh and change the login to "mobile", I think I need to find more detailed instructions on how to do that since when I entered that command nothing happened.
When I login using "root" I can get into atv.
When I try to login using "mobile" I get:

Response: fzSftp started
Command: open "[email protected]" 22
Command: Pass: ******
Error: Authentication failed.
Error: Critical error
Error: Could not connect to server
check your settings, you are missing the "i" in mobile. Your paste says moble, not mobile
Duh...thanks Maetrik I can't believe I missed that.
Does anybody know if the night skin or any skin for that matter is specific to different versions of xbmc (windows based..xbox etc.) or is there a iOS specific file I should be looking for.

Thanks again
Please keep in mind that IOS is using a newer version of XBMC codenamed Eden. Which is version 11 once Eden becomes official XBMC codebase.

All other official XBMC for the various platforms are version 10.1, which is codename Dharma.

So, you need to download the Eden version of the Night skin in order to be able to install and run on the XBMC for iOS.

The developer for the Night skin is already working on an Eden compatible version and I think that's all they are focusing on right now.

Do check out the appropriate thread in the Night skin's forum for your answer...

Night 2.0 - Eden Development
Excellent info..thanks dazex and all for the help.
Is this the one for the atv2. I add to the addons folder but it doesn't show up. Also if i zip up and try to install it tells me file structure isn't right. Sorry i have read many threads and tried many times. If too noob of a question i apologize.
Quote:Is this the one for the atv2. I add to the addons folder but it doesn't show up. Also if i zip up and try to install it tells me file structure isn't right. Sorry i have read many threads and tried many times. If too noob of a question i apologize.

Nevermind, shortly after posting this it magically appeared. Guess i wasn't giving it enough time.
I can login just fine, add folders, and browse, but is there not a way to edit the default Confluence skin? I want to change the Home.xml and tweak a bit. I make changes and the same default skin is loaded without any xml changes showing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
skins ...how to?0