• 1(current)
DIY Ambient Lighting
Long time user of XBMC and always looking for new things to add to my HTPC. So when I came across a blog on someone using an arduino to control LED's based upon the colour of the screen decided it would be a good little project.

youtube link of it in action so far
(some of the colours don't look perfect but thats due to iphone camera not liking being in dark and bright flashing lights)

Above is link to how it looks so far Smile

Currently it looks at 4 different points on the screen and outputs to 4 different LED strips. Thinking about raising this up to 6 or 8.

There is a bit of a gap of LED's in the middle at the moment but haven't played around with it because need to work out best way of placing them on the back of the TV at the right angle.
Dear lord I hope you're gonna post a how-to for this, it look AMAZING. Nicely Done!
Looks pretty cool! A guide would be nice. :-)
Looks really good, hope you post a guide on how you did it?
I'm sure I can put together some sort of guide. I'm out this morning I will try to do it this afternoon
nice Smile

Any change this will work on Mac OSX ?
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
idioteque Wrote:nice Smile

Any change this will work on Mac OSX ?

Hmm, I use a program called boblight to look at the different points on the screen and work out the average colour and send it to the arduino. By the looks of it that program onlys work with windows/linux. Sure there is other programs that could do the same calculations etc that would work with OSX but I don't know of any.
Another vote for a guide. I hope it's detailed so we all can follow =)
Guessing Lifehacker was the inspiration Wink

http://lifehacker.com/5838840/make-your-...me-theater
technocoma Wrote:Hmm, I use a program called boblight to look at the different points on the screen and work out the average colour and send it to the arduino. By the looks of it that program onlys work with windows/linux. Sure there is other programs that could do the same calculations etc that would work with OSX but I don't know of any.

Guess who developed boblight Smile
bobo1on1 Wrote:Guess who developed boblight Smile

Big Grin well from that i'll guess you did! If so thanks for a good program Big Grin

And indeed I saw it on lifehacker aswell as a few other sites.
Amazing stuff
Hardware - HP Proliant MicroServer N36L 8TB / Amazon Fire TV Stick
Software - NZBget / Radarr / Sonarr / uTorrent / Plex / NZB 360

Post - HQ WWE Fanart
So... any details about this? how many LED strips did you use? What kind did you use and where did they come from? I would like to do this behind a 46" tv just not sure how many LED strips I would need or if I can even do multiple Strips..

Any information or a DIY on this would be great..
technocoma Wrote:I'm sure I can put together some sort of guide. I'm out this morning I will try to do it this afternoon

Thanks, I would also appreciate a noob-proof guide for the arduino-setup. Big Grin
bob made a really nice tool.
Btw, which OS are you using, Is there a differerence if we use windows ?
Cheers
ubuntuf4n
bobo1on1 Wrote:Guess who developed boblight Smile

Is he still working on integrating it natively into XBMC? Wink

I'm still holding out getting my Philips amBX to work on my ATV1 with Crystalbuntu.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DIY Ambient Lighting2