• 5(current)
DIY Ambient Lighting
aptalca Wrote:Set up a laptop with a webcam pointing at the tv. Set up boblight hooked up to the arduino. Display the webcam feed fullscreen. Voila, it will work with whatever is playing on the tv. Just don't walk through between the webcam and the tv

Thanks, i was not aware boblight would work on webcam input. That sounds like a possible solution for me, though I was hoping for something that could be self-contained on the arduino board with just an optical sensor I could aim at the tv.
TheAstronaut Wrote:I'm looking for something that will work with my ATV2, and possibly my Popcorn Hour and satellite box.

I've often wondered if it would be possible to use the composite Monitor Out on my TV and some sort of TV card to drive my Atmolight so all my AV devices got pretty colours, not just XBMC. But wondering is about as far as I got ...
TheAstronaut Wrote:Thanks, i was not aware boblight would work on webcam input. That sounds like a possible solution for me, though I was hoping for something that could be self-contained on the arduino board with just an optical sensor I could aim at the tv.

Arduino board only does the last step of turning the lights on/off and setting the color. The screen capture and the average color calculations at several areas are all done by boblight or whatever software you are running on the computer. That software then feeds that final data to the arduino, which just controls the lights. A better solution is through a tv/video capture card as LastMile suggested.

LastMile Wrote:I've often wondered if it would be possible to use the composite Monitor Out on my TV and some sort of TV card to drive my Atmolight so all my AV devices got pretty colours, not just XBMC. But wondering is about as far as I got ...

It should work on whatever is displayed full screen on the computer as it relies on (full screen) screen captures. You could definitely set up a video capture card, all you have to do is play the feed fullscreen while running boblight.
Have anyone tried this for LED IKEA DIODER and can recommend them?
I have tried the Ikea dioder and i would not recommend them unless you use it for a small monitor.
Cribbe6 Wrote:Have anyone tried this for LED IKEA DIODER and can recommend them?

nope, there's much better from eg. Dealextreme and cheaper too, but they require some soldering I guess.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I decided to use the hardware from this guide.
And the config from this thread.
I just got my 2 x 25 LED strips and will post back when all is setup and working with XBMC on Linux.
Hurray, I'm doing this as well, just got my lights, only difference is that I'm using a nano. Race ya!
YEA!! Got it working, looks nice, I am sure I have some fine-tuning left to do, I have to put the nano in an enclosure because the leds from that are visible but wow, this really rocks. I have like 4 leds left over so I have to do some adjustments, I just duct taped each one to the side of my tv.
Nice!
Could you post your boblight config and what pde you are using?
I have no idea why no one has made a ready to go out of the box kit for this. I myself would buy one and I'm sure others would too. It's an Untapped market which I'm sure has huge potential. I have 3 tv's I would love this on.. But these guides are just so confusing for me. I wish a simple clean DIY step for step was made. if these were being sold in best buy's or frys I'm sure lots of people would like them.
Sure, duh sorry, I'm using the lightstream PDE from https://github.com/adafruit/Adalight/blo...stream.pde

You can find my boblight config at http://pastebin.com/RkZsT6V9

I basically just used duct tape to hold the lights in place...works pretty good so far Smile

Oh, I should add that this layout assumes you are starting at the rightmost lower corner.
I'm using a Uno and getting some pretty sporadic lights in strange places.
Will try your config tonight.
Got it working with your config file also. Thnx.
So "any" Arduino board with USB will do?

Nano, UNO, ... which one?
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DIY Ambient Lighting2