Server Build Ready: Just have have a question.
So essentially I am trying to set up a home network with an HTPC. I have another pc connected to my TV which is also connected to my router.
This build is designed to be a media server while using FreeNAS or unraid. I am not 100% sure on how to use either of those pieces of software just yet, I have been researching and learning and i think I am leaning more towards FreeNAS for now. I want to start out a little smaller, about 4tb of hard drive space but eventually add more drives to the server. I modeled the build from an XBMC thread I saw a while ago, but the original build was using a Sempron CPU. Now my question is how much more performance would I get from using a dual core CPU and 2gb of ram.

Build in Question: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Public...r=17324505

I dont think I am going to be using WD Green drives, too many people have said those drives arent good for RAID.

Any comments or suggestions?
as explained by PoofyHairGuy in his guide,
WD GREEN drives are good for unRAID but not for RAID or ZFS...

Using FreeNAS or unRAID is up to you,,,

i created a unRAID GUide u might wanna look at...
Neither are RAID-based so WD Greens would work fine although I'd suggest disabling the head-parking on them if you can.

FreeNAS uses ZFS which is superior to unRAID's filesystem, but not as flexible.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Server Build Ready: Just have have a question.0