XBMC: Ethernet or HDMI?
Can an HTPC XBMC system be strictly Ethernet? Or is HDMI better? Do you need audio cabling? What is the best way hardwired way to get video and sound to your Display?
hdmi assuming your htpc/video card and tv support it.
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
Not sure how you would connect xbmc to your tv via ethernet. HDMI is the way to go, with ethernet for network access.
lloydsmart Wrote:Not sure how you would connect xbmc to your tv via ethernet. HDMI is the way to go, with ethernet for network access.

With HDMI 1.4 you can get ethernet via the HDMI cable as well.
g725s Wrote:Can an HTPC XBMC system be strictly Ethernet? Or is HDMI better? Do you need audio cabling? What is the best way hardwired way to get video and sound to your Display?
here is how you connects it-

1. wireless router>htpc via ethernet cable for networking and surfing the net
2. htpc>avr>hdtv via hdmi cable to get the best audio/video playback
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thanks to all, that is what I needed to know.

Currently I just stream files from my PC to my TV via Samsung PC Share Manager and that works. But I really want a better GUI like XBMC experience. So it sounds like I need to build an HTPC that is close to the TV for HDMI. Since HDMI can't be run long distances like Ethernet.
g725s Wrote:Thanks to all, that is what I needed to know.

Currently I just stream files from my PC to my TV via Samsung PC Share Manager and that works. But I really want a better GUI like XBMC experience. So it sounds like I need to build an HTPC that is close to the TV for HDMI. Since HDMI can't be run long distances like Ethernet.

Doesn't need to be that close, I use a 10m cable for mine and that's by no means the longest available. There are also powered extenders available.

Edit: The longest HDMI cable I could find was 100m but they are awefully expensive.
sialivi Wrote:Doesn't need to be that close, I use a 10m cable for mine and that's by no means the longest available. There are also powered extenders available.

Edit: The longest HDMI cable I could find was 100m but they are awefully expensive.

For some reason I thought it did. Thanks for the info.
I did more searching and keep finding that HDMI cannot be run very far without degradation of signal http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/h...mi-run.htm

How many of you have HDMI over 50' and get perfect signal?
You could try something like this:

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcabl...r-50m.html
Welcome to XBMC, just wanted to make sure you know there is also a hardware section in the forums here. It is a GREAT place to start if you are considering your first HTPC! Smile
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
Something else you may consider is an HDMI over ethernet adapter of some sort.

I currently use the following one from monoprice.com with two 75ft shielded cat6 cables to send the HDMI signal to the front of my house.
HDMI Over CAT5E / CAT6 Extender Wall Plate w/ LED Indicator, IR Cables

I get audio and video at 1080p, and it comes with an IR receiver and transmitter built in for my remote to send signals to the XBMC box. They also have a cheaper model without the IR option.

It has a 5v plug on the front of the faceplate so you can boost the signal with an external power source if you need to, but mine didn't need it.

Good Luck,
NSW
HDMI over ethernet is pretty sweet! although I currently use RGB over ethernet (not for xbmc but from my cable settop box to my main computer) and it works like a charm.

I would suggest the wall plate option since this is way more aesthetic. And the link above has a IR receiver/transmitter built in, which is pretty sweet!
Hardware: Revo 3610 + SSD - Harmony 700 Remote
Software: XBMCBuntu Gotham - Sickbeard - SabNZBd+

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC: Ethernet or HDMI?0