XBMC on a Nettop vs ATV2
Hey!

Currently runnning LIVE on a Revo 3700 which uses SMB to access drives on server for movies/TV. (don't use XBMC for music)

Now I'm wondering if I'd benefit moving to an XBMC powered ATV2? We all have iPhones here so could use remote app with ATV2 for the whole airplay part for both music and pictures

What are the drawbacks/limitations of having an ATV over the Nettop? Besides 1080p output?

Only thinking as could give parents the Nettop and external drive (FAQ says ATV2 can't have any drives connected to it via USB, the Nettop can) while I'll be totally networked for the ATV2.

I dunno, what ya reckon?
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

You might find these threads useful:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=103266

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=109901

XBMC on the ATV2 works really well. Personally, I'm very happy with using it as my main XBMC box. Don't expect the performance to be equivalent to a nettop though; it's simply not as powerful. Hopefully those links above should answer any questions about specific limitations of XBMC on ATV2.
jammyb Wrote:Hey!

Currently runnning LIVE on a Revo 3700 which uses SMB to access drives on server for movies/TV. (don't use XBMC for music)

Now I'm wondering if I'd benefit moving to an XBMC powered ATV2? We all have iPhones here so could use remote app with ATV2 for the whole airplay part for both music and pictures

What are the drawbacks/limitations of having an ATV over the Nettop? Besides 1080p output?

Only thinking as could give parents the Nettop and external drive (FAQ says ATV2 can't have any drives connected to it via USB, the Nettop can) while I'll be totally networked for the ATV2.

I dunno, what ya reckon?

I have the ATV2 and I have a Revo, stick to the Revo unless all your media is Standard definition. I have mostly HD content so it was hard to watch anything that was 1080p.

I'm actually going to give my parents the ATV2
Decisions made then! Was hoping it'd be a good alternative as I want to give my parents an XBMC capable player! But all the content is minimum 720p and some 1080p.

Any other alternatives then? ATV1 and crystal chip??
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Build your own upgrade and give your folks the nettop.
I've got an ATV2 in the kids bedroom, slowly replacing all the SD content with HD x264s. Plays 720p and 1080p (scaled down to 720p) fine.

Can't handle HD divx/xvid without major stuttering.

I've got an Asrock ION in the living room, looking to get something for the bedroom and I think I'll probably go with an ATV2. It's cheaper, less power hungry and gets the job done.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on a Nettop vs ATV20