[ATV 2] Video lags or skips when playing 720p content
Hey Everyone,

Pretty new to all of this, but was trying to play a movie on my XBMC ATV 2 streaming from my in home network. The file is stored on my Windows 7 XMBC PC. The ATV 2 does play the file, but it acts laggy and has little skips in it. Like it's having trouble processing the video.

Is there a fix for this or does this mean I can;'t play 720p content on my ATV 2 with XBMC
It need to be h264 encoded, so .mkv
ATV2 cannot handle HD avi files.
--
XBMC HUB - THE NEW HOME FOR ADD-ONS and PLUGINS
Read how my ATV2 installation went
ATV2 one week on ... it's getting better all the time
XBMC/ATV2 - Feeling the love
--
XBMC:
Platform - Darwin iOS (11.0.0 AppleTV2,1, Version 4.3 (Build 8F305)).
11.0-RC2 - Built on Mar 1 2012 (Git:20120229-f38655f)
Platform - Darwin OSX (8.8.2 i386, Version 10.4.7 (Build 8N6014)).
11.0-RC2 - Built on Mar 1 2012 (Git:20120229-f38655f)
and better use ethernet instead of wifi... crystal ball exhausted though
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
The file I was using was mkv and my ATV is directed wired through Ethernet cable and not wifi. I don't know if it was h264, but the file was mkv.

I get the samenresults with the iPad 2 running xbmc as well. The only difference there is that it crashes where xbmc on the ATV 2 will play it but with little skips
Are you using nightly builds?
Yes...I'm currently using the 23rd build as it's the most stable of the nightly builds for me.
I know this is not helpful at all since Im not able to post a log at this time, but I have had similar issues, but not all the time. I have had 2 HD x264 files that seemed to have audio sync issues with them. I am on the 31Aug build. I will try to replicate tonight and throw up a log.
Okay, stupid question, but how do you get your videos to be MKV HD x264 .

Is there a certain program to convert your videos into that format? I don't know much about this. I'm currently using a program called MKVmerge
exiledone1 Wrote:Okay, stupid question, but how do you get your videos to be MKV HD x264 .

Is there a certain program to convert your videos into that format? I don't know much about this. I'm currently using a program called MKVmerge

MKV is just a container, so you can have a perfectly fine h.264 video track in an .mkv or other containers like .mp4, .mov, .ogg, etc.

If you have an HD video track that isn't in h.264 then you can convert the file using a program such as Handbrake.

You can find out if your file is h.264 or not by using MediaInfo.
Thanks Ned. I'll check those programs out. Would posting a log or anything help with figuring this problem out. Should I try to play it again and then post the log?

Obviously the Ipad 2 crashes and I have posted that log in another thread, but since all the ATV 2 is doing is just lagging, skipping a little I don't know if I log would tell you much.

Josh
For correct bug reporting see the first link in my signature. On crashes we need the syslog + crashreporter. For anything else the xbmc.log only ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Here is my log. I only watched 2 minutes before I exited. The audio was probably about 6-9 seconds ahead of the video.

http://pastebin.com/K0mAB2KV

Like I said this is the second file I have had this problem with although I have had numerous other files of the same type that have worked without issue.
westcoastbias Wrote:Here is my log. I only watched 2 minutes before I exited. The audio was probably about 6-9 seconds ahead of the video.

http://pastebin.com/K0mAB2KV

Like I said this is the second file I have had this problem with although I have had numerous other files of the same type that have worked without issue.

the video has 8 ref frames which is out of spec ... this file will never play correctly on ios ...
8 ref frames for a 1280 x 720 might be ok, it really depends on the profile. I suspect more the 60 fps. This looks like what would capture from an HD-PVR and I know that depending on firmware that is running on HD-PVR, the pts might be borked.

Cut a sample and dropbox it.
Here you go.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43209006/tar-001.MKV

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV 2] Video lags or skips when playing 720p content0