[ATV 2] Video lags or skips when playing 720p content
Don't think atv2 has the ponies for 720p60. I'll continue to investigate over time.
Thanks for looking into this davilla. The thing that confuses me about these 60fps samples is that the video and audio both seem to play OK, just way out of sync. It's hard to tell, but the bad sync doesn't seem to vary over time.
I'll be posting my logs today. I had to get another blue ray quality rip on my ATV 2 as my wife deleted the ore way.

Now I'm curious about something. Since everyone is saying the mkv h264 will play on my apple tv 2 what would happen if I converted a high definition video to the mkv h264? Would it still be high definition 720p and then it should play correctly then.

My thought is I want to take the file that started this all which is the high definition version of e social network from icefilms and use handbrake to covert it.

Now I also downloaded handbrake and I was a little confused. In the preset menu do I need to choose apple tv 2 since that is what I'll be playi it on correct? Then I just need to change it from mp4 to mkv and start the process right? Any other changes to the settings I should make.

Josh
Quote:Now I'm curious about something. Since everyone is saying the mkv h264 will play on my apple tv 2 what would happen if I converted a high definition video to the mkv h264? Would it still be high definition 720p and then it should play correctly then.

I tried this with one of the .tp files I had recorded with my HD-PVR. I converted the file to .mkv which didn't involve any transcoding, just changed the containers and the result was the same (audio way out of sync with video). I took the same file and transcoded it to 30fps and it worked fine.
KidMirage Wrote:I tried this with one of the .tp files I had recorded with my HD-PVR. I converted the file to .mkv which didn't involve any transcoding, just changed the containers and the result was the same (audio way out of sync with video). I took the same file and transcoded it to 30fps and it worked fine.

When I get home I'll try it first since the file I want to change is a avi. If it doesn't work I'll try the 30fps thing. I'll report back later.

Here is the odd thing though. If I stream the HD 720 content from Icefilms it will play fine on my atv 2 although it will buffer like crazy yet when its downloaded and I try to play it I get the lags and skips. This is so annoying lol
KidMirage Wrote:I tried this with one of the .tp files I had recorded with my HD-PVR. I converted the file to .mkv which didn't involve any transcoding, just changed the containers and the result was the same (audio way out of sync with video). I took the same file and transcoded it to 30fps and it worked fine.

If you just converted the container to mkv then the video wouldn't be h264 it would still be the original mpeg2 codec that the transport stream used and hence no hardware accelleration

mkv is just a container that you put video and audio stream into, you need to convert the video stream to h264.
Quote:If you just converted the container to mkv then the video wouldn't be h264 it would still be the original mpeg2 codec that the transport stream used and hence no hardware accelleration

mkv is just a container that you put video and audio stream into, you need to convert the video stream to h264.

Sorry I wasn't clear. The HD-PVR does produce H.264 video. By default the files are created with a .tp extension. I typically use VideoReDo to clean up the files a bit and it changes the extension to .ts. It's definitely H.264 though. Here is a Media Info listing:

Media Information:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
General
ID/String : 0 (0x0)
CompleteName : Z:\Being Erica-(Two Wrongs)-2011-07-04-0.tp
Format : MPEG-TS
FileSize/String : 27.4 MiB
Duration/String : 41s 475ms
OverallBitRate/String : 5529 Kbps
OverallBitRate_Maximum/String : 18.0 Mbps

Video
ID/String : 4113 (0x1011)
MenuID/String : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format_Profile : [email protected]
Format_Settings_CABAC/String : Yes
Format_Settings_RefFrames/String : 4 frame2
Format_Settings_GOP : M=4, N=32
CodecID : 27
Duration/String : 41s 592ms
BitRate_Mode/String : VBR
BitRate/String : 4868 Kbps
BitRate_Maximum/String : 20.0 Mbps
Width/String : 1280 pixel3
Height/String : 720 pixel3
DisplayAspectRatio/String : 16:9
FrameRate/String : 59.940 fps3
ColorSpace : YUV
ChromaSubsampling : 4:2:0
BitDepth/String : 8 bit3
ScanType/String : Progressive
Bits-(Pixel*Frame) : 0.088
StreamSize/String : 24.1 MiB (88%)
colour_primaries : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
transfer_characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
matrix_coefficients : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio
ID/String : 4352 (0x1100)
MenuID/String : 1 (0x1)
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Format_Settings_ModeExtension : CM (complete main)
CodecID : 129
Duration/String : 41s 568ms
BitRate_Mode/String : CBR
BitRate/String : 384 Kbps
Channel(s)/String : 2 channel2
ChannelPositions : Front: L R
SamplingRate/String : 48.0 KHz
BitDepth/String : 16 bit3
Compression_Mode/String : Lossy
Video_Delay/String : -50ms
StreamSize/String : 1.90 MiB (7%)
this is not h.264 ... its avc 720p 60fps ... no hardware acceleration for it ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Now I also downloaded handbrake and I was a little confused.

In the preset menu do I need to choose apple tv 2 since that is what I'll be playing it on correct?

Then I just need to change it from mp4 to mkv and start the process right? Any other changes to the settings I should make to turn my HD 720p movie into one that will play on the ATV 2?

Pretty new to converter software and stuff so just not sure about the correct settings.
Quote:this is not h.264 ... its avc 720p 60fps ... no hardware acceleration for it ...

From what I have read there is not much if any difference between AVC and H.264, in fact AVC is one of H.264's "family of standards". (See H.264/MPEG-4 AVC.)

These files play without problems with XBMC (Dharma) on my Acer Revo 1600 at very low CPU levels which tell me they are being accelerated just fine. In fact the video seems to play fine on the ATV2, no stuttering or skips, again with relatively low CPU (around 60%), they are just out of sync with the audio.
Okay...I installed Handbreak and tried to convert the Social Network HD MKV using h.264 video codec. I don't know how to use the program so I just choose the Apple TV 2 preset. I would love if someone could tell me the setting they use to produce mkv files that play on XBMC on the ATV 2. I didn't change any of the settings, even though it seems there are tons.

The end results were a nice video, but sound was off. It had a odd almost echo sounding effect. Not good at all. The file started off as a Avi and I was converting it MKV. Can someone tell me what when wrong. here is the mediainfo for the file I was trying to convert:

Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 978 MiB
Duration : 42mn 40s
Overall bit rate : 3 204 Kbps

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
Format settings, BVOP : 1
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Custom
Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Bit rate : 2 743 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 528 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.169
Stream size : 837 MiB (86%)
Writing library : XviD 1.2.1 (UTC 2008-12-04)

Audio
ID : 1
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Codec ID : 2000
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Delay relative to video : 15ms
Stream size : 137 MiB (14%)
Alignment : Split accross interleaves
Interleave, duration : 42 ms (1.00 video frame)
exiledone1 Wrote:Okay...I installed Handbreak and tried to convert the Social Network HD MKV using h.264 video codec. I don't know how to use the program so I just choose the Apple TV 2 preset. I would love if someone could tell me the setting they use to produce mkv files that play on XBMC on the ATV 2. I didn't change any of the settings, even though it seems there are tons.

The end results were a nice video, but sound was off. It had a odd almost echo sounding effect. Not good at all. The file started off as a Avi and I was converting it MKV. Can someone tell me what when wrong. here is the mediainfo for the file I was trying to convert:

Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 978 MiB
Overall bit rate : 3 204 Kbps

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
Format settings, BVOP : 1
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Custom
Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Bit rate : 2 743 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 528 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.169
Stream size : 837 MiB (86%)
Writing library : XviD 1.2.1 (UTC 2008-12-04)

Audio
ID : 1
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Codec ID : 2000
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Delay relative to video : 15ms
Stream size : 137 MiB (14%)
Alignment : Split accross interleaves
Interleave, duration : 42 ms (1.00 video frame)

ATV2 profile should be fine, by default i think that profile will create two audia streams 1, is two channel AAC, second stream is AC3 passthrough

Do you have 2 streams and can you select and listen to the second stream fine?
I'm not sure. I don't know much about that. I'll have to check. Why would you need two audio streams? Isn't one enough? I guss I don't understand the purpose of the two different streams
exiledone1 Wrote:I'm not sure. I don't know much about that. I'll have to check. Why would you need two audio streams? Isn't one enough? I guss I don't understand the purpose of the two different streams

Cant answer that one sorry, I personally don't use it (handbrake + atv2 profile) and are just going on my handbrake default profile setup here.

You can play with the profile and just set it to use a single ac3 pass through stream

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV 2] Video lags or skips when playing 720p content0