Control TV functionality from XBMC
Hi guys,

I'm wondering if there is a solution to my problem. I'd like to be able to control the TV functionality (on/off, volume, video source etc) from within XBMC. I see that there is hardware and software to add CEC commands to the HDMI signal which seems like a reasonable idea but not aesthetically pleasing. I was wondering whether anyone had looked into what is required to control a TV using the network card built into modern smart TVs. Reading about my Galaxy S smartphone there is an application provided by Samsung which would allow it to control a Samsung smart TV over the network. Is there any applications out there which can control a smart TV over the network which could be integrated into XBMC?

Regards

Pico
uhm, i do exactly that
control the TV functionality (on/off, volume, video source etc
using an amazing $30 HArmony 300 remote Smile
Harmony remotes are your friend... Embrace them...
Kirky99 Wrote:Harmony remotes are your friend... Embrace them...

I don't use a Harmony (see my sig), but I think I agree here. Controlling the TV from XBMC is one thing (via network/CEC/Serial). However, you still need physical buttons to press in order to trigger this functionality. That means a super remote like the Harmony, or an iPhone/Android based remote.
Harmony is nice because it solves both problems by giving you a flexible interface, and talking IR. The drawback being, of course, that it's an IR remote.
i have no issues with IR technologie.... it works!
My Harmony controls my PS3 too. There's a bluetooth dongle that interfaces with it. The Harmony is spendy, but worth every penny IMHO. Took me a while to come around, but I've got one on every TV in the house now.
Sorry, but, unless I'm totally missing something, wouldn't any learning universal remote do this?

http://tinyurl.com/4xclr34

Huh
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
Yeah Ok, a universal remote could solve the issue of controlling everything with one device but it doesn't quite do what I'm looking for. Since the remote is talking to the HTPC and TV separately. I want to control the TV from the HTPC (ie XBMC).

The reason being I can then have the luxury of using XBMC remote for Android, my BT keyboard or an IR remote. I can also automate things to happen on the TV with scripts etc.

Just using an universal remote to control the TV means I still need the remote at all times.
Sorry. Didn't realize you wanted to use scripts to control the TV. I guess I just think of my TV as a dumb device that:
  • turns on
  • switches to the correct input
  • displays a picture from said input
  • adjusts volume on internal speakers, playing sound from said input
  • turns off

What else would you want the TV to do, regarding XBMC? I understand that today's TV's have built in WiFi, internet apps, etc. But what does that have to do with XBMC?

Matt
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
i dont get it either,,,,

if an HArmony Remote cant do what u want,

then, no other remotes on earth can,,,
eskro Wrote:i dont get it either,,,,

if an HArmony Remote cant do what u want,

then, no other remotes on earth can,,,

The Logitech Harmony would do everything I want but if I'm sitting watching youtube using my BT keyboard to type with and then find that the volume is louder on a particular video and want to turn it down I need to find the Harmony remote (or the original TV remote) to turn it down. I want to be able to use any single control to manage the whole experience.
maddog808 Wrote:Sorry. Didn't realize you wanted to use scripts to control the TV. I guess I just think of my TV as a dumb device that:
  • turns on
  • switches to the correct input
  • displays a picture from said input
  • adjusts volume on internal speakers, playing sound from said input
  • turns off

What else would you want the TV to do, regarding XBMC? I understand that today's TV's have built in WiFi, internet apps, etc. But what does that have to do with XBMC?

Matt

Yeah they were like that and the one I currently have is very much like that. I basically would have been happy with a 42" LCD monitor but the manufacturers are creating smarter and smarter devices.

Here is what I'm thinking would be cool. If you were sitting on your couch having just finished watching the latest Burn Notice and you decide that you want to play some GoW3 on PS3. You press button on your control device or access a menu function in XBMC and it changes the video source on the TV to your PS3 and possibly even powers on the PS3 since it is CEC capable. It then monitors whats playing on the TV and if the PS3 powers off or you press a button on your controller it would change the source back to the HTPC and default to doing something (play music, photo slide show etc) or just plain turn the TV off. It could potentially even adjust volume levels for the different inputs so that they have a similar perceived audio level.

The above makes me think that HDMI CEC might be the way to go as it will allow communication between all devices capable of this.

However I finally managed to find what I was looking for regarding the network option. Here are some links to PC based network remotes for Samsung TVs in particular:
http://www.gemote.org/index.html
http://www.rainerullrich.de/samsung/
http://forum.samygo.tv/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2339#p19698

There may be some interest in the above but it seems with the Gemote that there is a limitation in that you can't turn on the TV when its off.
pico1234 Wrote:The Logitech Harmony would do everything I want but if I'm sitting watching youtube using my BT keyboard to type with and then find that the volume is louder on a particular video and want to turn it down I need to find the Harmony remote (or the original TV remote) to turn it down. I want to be able to use any single control to manage the whole experience.

Wow, your wild lol

its that hard to the Harmony remote close to you
and use it to set the volume to your liking?

Jesus o.O

Why not just control the sound using your BT keyboard then,,
doesnt it have Volume buttons on it??
which BT keyboard you bought?
Get an reciver with HDMI inputs.
Get an harmony remote.

Press one button on the harmony. Reciver switches to PS3/TV/XBMC whatever you chose. The remote will know that if you Watch TV pressing the guide will get you a tv guide. If you are on XBMC the guide will work automaticly to another function. So basicly this way eaven your grandmother will be able to work all your equipment...

I gues you could also do it without an hdmi reciver but atleast my old non hdmi reciver requires changing audio output etc. This lead to frustration an extra clicking. I wanted 1 click good to go, and i will never look back Wink
---------------------------------------------------
Intel NUC Haswell D34010WYK | ATV2 | Logitech Harmony One | Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver | QNAP 809 | APC Back-UPS RS 550
eskro Wrote:Wow, your wild lol

its that hard to the Harmony remote close to you
and use it to set the volume to your liking?

Jesus o.O

Why not just control the sound using your BT keyboard then,,
doesnt it have Volume buttons on it??
which BT keyboard you bought?

Won't work if you are passing digital audio.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Control TV functionality from XBMC0