Control TV functionality from XBMC
You might find this a bit easier than all of the above: http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/product...apter.aspx
Malard Wrote:You might find this a bit easier than all of the above: http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/product...apter.aspx

Thanks Malard, thats my fallback option. Was interested to see what other options might be kicking around.
pico1234 Wrote:Thanks Malard, thats my fallback option. Was interested to see what other options might be kicking around.

Fall back = Most transparent and reliable option? how bizarre Tongue
That pulse eight thing looks cool. i still don't really understand why you would need something like that. My $75 remote comes with a RF base station, and I can program as many macros as I would ever need.

One button push =
  • TV turns on
  • TV switches to the desired input
  • Yamaha Receiver turns on
  • Yamaha Receiver switches to the desired input
  • Yamaha Receiver switches to the desired DSP
  • Remote brings up the page to control desired device

There are endless possibilities with the "one button" macros you can program. The best part is that all my A/V, DirecTV, & HTPC equipment is tucked away in the coat closet so nobody has to look at it. Then it is really like magic when the XBMC experience is taking place. If I'm playing XBMC music through the surround sound speakers, I can control the volume, pause, change tracks, whatever, even if I'm in my office 50 feet away.

But, hey, to each his own when it comes to controlling their equipment. If my wife & 4 year old son can use it daily, and drop it weekly, and it keeps on ticking, then I consider it a win. Nothing against the Harmony fanboys, but I prefer URC anyday.
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
maddog808 Wrote:That pulse eight thing looks cool. i still don't really understand why you would need something like that. My $75 remote comes with a RF base station, and I can program as many macros as I would ever need.

One button push =
  • TV turns on

There are endless possibilities with the "one button" macros you can program. The best part is that all my A/V, DirecTV, & HTPC equipment is tucked away in the coat closet so nobody has to look at it. Then it is really like magic when the XBMC experience is taking place. If I'm playing XBMC music through the surround sound speakers, I can control the volume, pause, change tracks, whatever, even if I'm in my office 50 feet away.

But, hey, to each his own when it comes to controlling their equipment. If my wife & 4 year old son can use it daily, and drop it weekly, and it keeps on ticking, then I consider it a win. Nothing against the Harmony fanboys, but I prefer URC anyday.

You see all those magic eye's you have on your equipment, with the CEC adapter you don't need any of those. equally if your equipment is not all aggregated in a single location you don't need to work out a way to extend those IR converters either. On top of that, configuration of CEC is transparent, or at least will be in due course, just plug in and play with no need to configure each device or teach it the IR commands.
Malard Wrote:You see all those magic eye's you have on your equipment, with the CEC adapter you don't need any of those. equally if your equipment is not all aggregated in a single location you don't need to work out a way to extend those IR converters either. On top of that, configuration of CEC is transparent, or at least will be in due course, just plug in and play with no need to configure each device or teach it the IR commands.

I guess being a low volt (video, voice, data, home theater, surround sound) wiring contractor gives me a different perspective. Instead of buying a gadget that allows me to not have to run wires, I'd just rather spend a couple hours in the attic to keep my equipment out of sight. Think about it; when you go to the theater to watch a movie, all you see is the screen and some speakers. I want to have a similar experience at the house.

I do think the CEC technology has its uses, though. What I'd really like to see is just how transparent it will be. You will still need a way to get the commands to the devices, regardless of how you do it.
maddog808 Wrote:I guess being a low volt (video, voice, data, home theater, surround sound) wiring contractor gives me a different perspective. Instead of buying a gadget that allows me to not have to run wires, I'd just rather spend a couple hours in the attic to keep my equipment out of sight. Think about it; when you go to the theater to watch a movie, all you see is the screen and some speakers. I want to have a similar experience at the house.

I do think the CEC technology has its uses, though. What I'd really like to see is just how transparent it will be. You will still need a way to get the commands to the devices, regardless of how you do it.

Exactly, but that is carried via the video cable already so you don't need to spend those 2 hours to install extra wires. Equally you have to admit, your fairly unique, not every user is an electrical contractor
Malard Wrote:Exactly, but that is carried via the video cable already so you don't need to spend those 2 hours to install extra wires. Equally you have to admit, your fairly unique, not every user is an electrical contractor

Great point, Mallard. The next time my wife calls me a choice name or two, I'm gonna tell her I'm just "unique". Ha Ha. Ya, the technology is really cool. It just kind of seems like one of those things that will be buggy, and more work than it's worth to get dialed in. I imagine spending well over 2 hours working it out. Until it becomes more mainstream, I will continue crawling through people's attics and using the RF/IR solution. It just works. Plus, I'd rather have a hand held remote that I can carry throughout the house, and not have to point it at anything.

The other thing is, most of my clients want their media room to look like the one on the TV commercial. So, that means I'm running video cable to a hidden location regardless. You have to admit, not having your components in plain view is ideal.

I will definitely keep my eye on this CEC product, though. I'm sure I'll be implementing it into future installs. Wink
arduino devs talking about cec
maddog808 Wrote:
  • TV turns on

The System I built almost a decade ago accomplished this via a RedRat controller which is an extremely efficient IR/IRDA sender & reciever.

Essentially the RR sits on your rack monitoring all IR signals so knows of system state - Great thing about it was that it can also transmit powerfully enough to reflect an IR signal 180 degrees off a wall and back to the stack.

Looks pretty cool in a bachelor pad when you instruct it via voice to come on Wink Especially at night when programmed to switch each component in order Wink

Depends how good you are at coding - I no longer the sell these systems - I might go back in to business if I can retire young !
maddog808 Wrote:Great point, Mallard. The next time my wife calls me a choice name or two, I'm gonna tell her I'm just "unique". Ha Ha. Ya, the technology is really cool. It just kind of seems like one of those things that will be buggy, and more work than it's worth to get dialed in. I imagine spending well over 2 hours working it out. Until it becomes more mainstream, I will continue crawling through people's attics and using the RF/IR solution. It just works. Plus, I'd rather have a hand held remote that I can carry throughout the house, and not have to point it at anything.

The other thing is, most of my clients want their media room to look like the one on the TV commercial. So, that means I'm running video cable to a hidden location regardless. You have to admit, not having your components in plain view is ideal.

I will definitely keep my eye on this CEC product, though. I'm sure I'll be implementing it into future installs. Wink

With XBMC it will be (by the time of eden release) plug and play, there should be no setup required, all you do is just plug the device into the existing hdmi cable there is an installation video on youtube that explains how simple it is Smile
+1 on this Wink
yeah these guys works so hard on this to make it happen believe me Wink
cheers Malard Wink
Cool

Malard Wrote:With XBMC it will be (by the time of eden release) plug and play, there should be no setup required, all you do is just plug the device into the existing hdmi cable there is an installation video on youtube that explains how simple it is Smile
Malard Wrote:Fall back = Most transparent and reliable option? how bizarre Tongue

Forgive me Malard, 'fallback' was not the right word to use. That option is the best one that I've come across so far. Hence its what I'll end up doing if there aren't any other alternatives along the lines of my original discussion.

PS if you noticed I posted on the Pulse8 site as well asking about form factor. I figured out a way to make the CEC adapter fit the way I want using a male-male HDMI gender changer. Can easily plug into the device and convert it as I suggested. Found some gender benders listed online for a few bucks.
pico1234 Wrote:Found some gender benders listed online for a few bucks.

Sorry, dude. It must be late, because that just sounds too effin funny.

Laugh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Control TV functionality from XBMC0