Solved Option to Create Multiple Video Libraries
see this post:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=989542&postcount=9

Something like the inclusion of those 'tags' would be much more flexible than multiple libraries that some seem to think are a good solution.
XBMC is an amazing Media Library tool, and i agree that by far its biggest shortfall is not supporting multiple video libraries. THis would be a huge asset to the users. In the mean time, i will continue using profiles as my "workaround" because i don't loose functionality like i do with smart playlists.
I would also make my first donation if we could have either multiple libraries or custom tags. This is the one fatal flaw in XBMC for me, and the reason why I still largely use an Excel file for managing my movie collection.
I am dealing with the same frustration. I have hundreds of documentary films and kids films that I don't want mucking up my movies and the same with documentary and kids tv shows hosing up my tv shows library. All of the workarounds break the nice features like the filtering by genre and or the view types.
You can't have custom tags (well, not without throwing it into some other tag) but the nightlies now make the library completely configurable as in you can throw smartplaylists (or just folders) all over the show. There's various bits of information on this - google will guide (the forum search itself sucks).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2012-05-08, 23:45)jasmill1969 Wrote: I am dealing with the same frustration. I have hundreds of documentary films and kids films that I don't want mucking up my movies and the same with documentary and kids tv shows hosing up my tv shows library. All of the workarounds break the nice features like the filtering by genre and or the view types.

Post-eden now accounts for what you want:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Custom_Video_Nodes

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=130437
I also came here in hopes there was a way to set up something similar, my problem is that my library contains movies in different languages. I'd love to separate foreign movies from domestic, and maybe even animated movies from regular ones.

As i was reading through the thread, (i skimmed the end of it, if i missed someone posting the same thing i apologize for the duplicate) i had an idea: why not just add a single field to the general library table that would allow us to create subsets from the general library, and let us set the field with a drop list in a movie info or from sub-menu in the context menu when you right-click on a movie.

Example:

A new table in the myvideos60 database called subsets or something, with two fields - integer for index number, and text for the name of the subset, it'd contain user generated list of all the movie categories. Zero value index could be reserved for any movie that doesn't belong to any subset, anything greater.

Then in movieview table add another integer variable that would just simply hold the index number of the subset.

Now when i click on movies, if there any subsets defined, i would see list of the subsets instead of long line of movies all mixed together. once clicking on subset, i would see only movies belonging to that subset.

It could be customized further by expanding the subset table with path variable for fan art or thumbnail representing the subset, along with the name.

Someone might object that we already have this functionality with movie sets, while it partially does what people are asking for, there is no easy (read: quick) way to set it, i like the movie sets feature as is, and I'd hate to lose it just so i can separate my library by language.

This might even be doable with an add-on instead of it being built into the XBMC itself.

I'm sure there are people who could refine this further to make it work if not for everyone, then for vast majority Smile
Check out Custom video nodes (wiki), which is coming in XBMC v12
(2012-07-09, 05:26)Ned Scott Wrote: Check out Custom video nodes (wiki), which is coming in XBMC v12

This is great to hear. A few questions:

1) Will this eventually work directly from the GUI or will it require me to work with XML files?
2) How is this different from affiliating a smart playlist to a custom menu item on home screen?
3) Will the "recently added" script eventually work with it?

This is a really great feature - looking forward to see this in one of the next pre-Frodo monthlies!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
1. XML files at first at least.
2. No different, but it's ofcourse skin agnostic.
3. There is no recently added script, but if you're referring to the items on the home page, the plan is to extend this customisation to the home screen and other views (music/pictures etc.) as well.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for your quick reply. I will for now until it makes it into the GUI and I don't need to play with xml files.

One more question though - my issue with smart-playlist is that I cannot filter them (e.g., only display year=2012) without creating yet another smart playlist. Is this planned to work for now or is already working. What I mean: I can currently go to "movies" and then press (...) to go one up the tree. I can then select genre or year and filter "movies". Will this eventually also work for the multiple libraries function?

Thanks for looking into this!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
Any thoughts?
It's possible. That's about as much as I know.
There will be improved filtering options with the next XBMC version.
(2012-07-27, 09:59)da-anda Wrote: There will be improved filtering options with the next XBMC version.

Fantastic, are any of these functions (multiple libraries, filtering) already in the monthly frodos?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Option to Create Multiple Video Libraries0