Upgrade worth the money?
So I have tried a number of different settings with varying degrees of success. I think I should clarify my question a little more. The video quality that I am getting from XBMC is good, its just not perfect. The stuttering that I referred to earlier is very minimal and can only be appreciated on slowly panning scenes and even then its barely noticeable. Its not apparent at all during regular playback. My question is then, how perfect can movie playback get on XBMC. Could it ever be comparable to an $500 bluray player or even a $100 dollar player? I had read on AVS forums once that in windows media center, with the right filters, you could produce picture quality that could rival bluray players over $1000. Does anyone think this sort of playback is possible on XBMC? Would upgrading hardware increase my quality at all or am I at the limits of the software at this point?
ngordonmd Wrote:So I have tried a number of different settings with varying degrees of success. I think I should clarify my question a little more. The video quality that I am getting from XBMC is good, its just not perfect. The stuttering that I referred to earlier is very minimal and can only be appreciated on slowly panning scenes and even then its barely noticeable.

Really sounds like an issue of 3:2 pulldown.

Quote:upgrading hardware increase my quality at all or am I at the limits of the software at this point?

You are at the software limits. Now the best course is to just wait a bit and let XBMC get more developed. We just got DXVA support in the last stable version.

I would say that XBMC can easily equal a $100 Blu Ray player (ESPECIALLY when it comes to scaling non-HD content), but not a $1000 one. Yet.

ngordonmd Wrote:The video quality that I am getting from XBMC is good, its just not perfect.
nobody say xbmc playback quality is perfect, but it's free!
ngordonmd Wrote:I had read on AVS forums once that in windows media center, with the right filters, you could produce picture quality that could rival bluray players over $1000. Does anyone think this sort of playback is possible on XBMC?
for now, it is not. if it is, some of us wouldn't have to buy a $1000 bd player. if you want to try 7mce, you can try the guide in my signature. i'm very happy with bd 1080p video quality and dts-hd/truehd audio quality on 7mce. 7mce bd pq is comparable to my ps3. i considered xbmc as my other alternative though.
ngordonmd Wrote:Would upgrading hardware increase my quality at all or am I at the limits of the software at this point?
it appear that you have your heart on a new gpu. i'm suggesting to give one of these a try- MSI N440GT-MD1GD3/LP GeForce GT 440 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit DDR3 or XFX HD-667X-ZAF3 Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit .
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thanks for the responses again. Does anyone have an opinion on the difference in video quality with using dsplayer and ffdshow vs the native xbmc player? Also, does anyone have any thoughts between nvidia vs the AMD cards? Thanks.
Supposedly enabling MadVR and LAV Filters within DSplayer will produce a much better picture. Unfortunately you need a fairly robust Nvidia video card (GT430 or better) for its CUDA capabilities.

Here is a thread from AVS Forum on setting up MadVR and LAv Filters within MCP-HC if you want to see if there is any difference:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1357375
Forgive me if I am way off the mark here but it seems none of the suggestions have worked? I didn't see anything in the thread about troubleshooting to rule out the TV PQ. Just to be sure... This is not motion blurr you are seeing on an LCD TV? Some other issue with the TV itself? Loose connections? IDK, just throwing that out there.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
Mallet21 Wrote:Supposedly enabling MadVR and LAV Filters within DSplayer will produce a much better picture. Unfortunately you need a fairly robust Nvidia video card (GT430 or better) for its CUDA capabilities.

Here is a thread from AVS Forum on setting up MadVR and LAv Filters within MCP-HC if you want to see if there is any difference:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1357375

You cannot use MadVR with DSPlayer as its a video renderer DSPlayer uses VRM-9 or EVR

ngordonmd Wrote:Thanks for the responses again. Does anyone have an opinion on the difference in video quality with using dsplayer and ffdshow vs the native xbmc player? Also, does anyone have any thoughts between nvidia vs the AMD cards? Thanks.

The difference between DVDPlayer and DSPlayer is very small as DVDPlayer now has lanczos3, lanczos3 optimized which are pretty good I'm talking about SD content but this is very subjective

I use DSPlayer and I've compared the difference myself with DVDPlayer along with using ffdshow and its resizer against another filter and DSPlayers resizer the same ones used by MPC-HC and there's not much in that either

My advice would be try it yourself because you still have the option of using DVDPlayer if you install DSPlayer, build 553d719 is very stable not had a single bug myself and it has a couple more features than Dharma

One thing about DSPlayer I don't see any dropped frames but I do in DVDPlayer

An NVIDIA card always gives you the option to switch to linux it also gives you a few more options if you use DSPlayer (CUDA)
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
ngordonmd Wrote:Does anyone have an opinion on the difference in video quality with using dsplayer and ffdshow vs the native xbmc player?
i doubt that you'll see very much different. if you are very concern about video quality, you might want to try 7mce in my signature. it's very good!

ngordonmd Wrote:Also, does anyone have any thoughts between nvidia vs the AMD cards? Thanks.
it's depending on what model? you can compare it here- GeForce GT 430 vs Radeon HD 6450 (OEM) 1GB. you can select two cards with very similar price to compare it.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrade worth the money?0