Genre-list for games in XBMC "Programs" section
Lightbulb 
i was wondering if there is a way to categorize your games by genre or game type much like movies and songs. is there a database that can be looked up so that this can be done? i only have 10 games that i've bought and coppied to my xbox hard drive, but i think it would be helpful to be able to search through your game database much the same way you'd go through your movies and mp3's.

anyone else think this would be helplful?

-mike
hi guys,

it would be cool if we could sort the games in myprograms view by genre.  Cool

i thought the user could specify for each game which genre it is by clicking the white-button for the context-menu and then select a genre for the game! (as it is not possible i think to extract the genre automatically from the .xbe or anything).

then on the left side where you have your bookmarks you could sort your games by genre eg. driving, shooter, role-playing, jump'n'run, etc ..

would this feature be cool for xbmc? i think yes.  Cool

what do the devs think about it?

thanks and greetings,
scape
My XBOX built into a Sony Hifi CD-Player Case
XBOX Hifi Media Center Picture Gallery

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

hi there,

is nobody interested in this feature for the games section?

what do the devs think about this feature suggestion?
please write your feedback. thanks.

greets,
scape

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

why not just organize them this way to begin with?

thanks jmarshall for your reply.

what do you mean with "organize them"?

do you mean to manually create folders on the harddrive specified for each genre?

scape

yes, thats how i have it
but in xbmc i have all games lsited in one big list
how can i set it up for multiple sections?
i was playing around with the my programs folder and it hit me there were some features missing that would be nice to have.

* genres. split games up in genres. sorting by name is a big mess in my opinion. i would like to group racing games, sport games, roleplay games and so on.

* system link indicator. an indicator on the game icon if the game supports system-link and there by kai.

* deleting right from the list like under pictures, music and videos. the deleting should ask if you want the save games deleted too.

* when rebooting xbox while in a game via igr, xbmc should return user to the same place he was before, browsing the games.

keep up the good work! tnx!

you can easily place the games into different folders and refer to the different paths in xbocmediacenter.xml
asteron, i have this, but then i must add buttons on the left for each genre. this is not what i really want. i want genre automaticly figured out from titleid and a genre database, and show like this in icon view:

racing

[pgr2] [mc2]

roleplaying

[bg2]

sport

[ssx 2]

etc
umm ok... where is this database going to come from? i dont know of any service equivalent to imdb or cddb. do you know of any online xml service? scraping html isnt a great idea.
the database could come from the users of xbmc. genres could be created. when you put the game in the drive it could ask what genre it is. when enough people has voted a game in a certain genre this will be used when titleid is found in a game on harddrive.
two options comec to mind...

xbox.ign.com :
has the games in genre format... lots of them defined. you'd need a way to pull the info since the reviews are stored by id number, not name.

reviews.teamxbox.com :
has lot of genres defined, easier to search via genre
game pages stored via name
still not sure how you'd easily get the info.

if you do html scraping you'd also be able to get other info for a "now playing" type of screen with game summary, review rating, etc.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
affini, i'm all for getting info from these sites like we do from imdb.com. but we need the titleid to match the games and not just the name of the game. since i do not think the sites list the titleid, we need our own database making the link between the actual default.xbe of the game (containing the titleid) and the game page on xbox.com, ign or teamxbox. any ideas?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Genre-list for games in XBMC "Programs" section0