• 27(current)
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote?
The problem with using a desktop shortcut as you describe is that you need to program the remote to send a shutdown command to xbmc, wait for it to exit and then press the defined shortcut key for shutting down windows. In my experience pressing the shortcut key from within XBMC does nothing, you must exit XBMC first.
TeKo Wrote:So you cant shutdown your PC using the XBMC Menu?

Sure I can but the whole idea into getting automated so thatif I change activities or issue a "power down" from the universal remote, the PC gets shut down. Using the XBMC menu, this requires using a macro and in my experience does not work well.
eskro Wrote:not sure why u need to exit xbmc to have it work like u say.
its instant for me even from within xbmc!

*create a shutdown shortcut on your desktop.
*Important, if you want to move your shortcut elsewhere, do it now!
*then, add a shortcut key to it
*add that keyboard combination to a desired button on your harmony

works mint for me!

wouldn't you need to exit xbmc for this? If you do, why not just set the shutdown button in xbmc to just shutdown the pc?

I think the idea is that's you you press the off button on the harmony, you want xbmc to do keyboard stroke end, then enter.
finally figured ito out, but this might not work on all harmony's as i believe your harmony might need to to be able to set sequences.

XBMC must be set to shutdown PC, not exit when you hit the shutdown button or sleep, hibernate etc.. Under XBMC System, Power Settings, SHUTDOWN Function set to Shutdown

Go into Harmony software.
Click on Devices
Click on Media Center PC Settings
Adjust Power Settings
Click I want to turn off this device when not in use
- this next one is not important, but I have "a Button on the remote for on, and a different button for off".

My Device needs more then one command to turn it on and off.
- First one that comes up is power on, i left that
- Then the shutdown comes on, pick the above, my device needs more then one command to etc...

Then once you hit next a drop down menu appears.

I pick S then Enter.

I can confirm this works, and my system completely shutsdown along with my other equipment when I hit my "off" button.

Now only if i can get it to power on, without using a keyboard stroke.
voip-ninja Wrote:The problem with using a desktop shortcut as you describe is that you need to program the remote to send a shutdown command to xbmc, wait for it to exit and then press the defined shortcut key for shutting down windows. In my experience pressing the shortcut key from within XBMC does nothing, you must exit XBMC first.

i dont have to exit XBMC at all...
its weird that u have to.
r1lee Wrote:finally figured ito out, but this might not work on all harmony's as i believe your harmony might need to to be able to set sequences.

XBMC must be set to shutdown PC, not exit when you hit the shutdown button or sleep, hibernate etc.. Under XBMC System, Power Settings, SHUTDOWN Function set to Shutdown

Go into Harmony software.
Click on Devices
Click on Media Center PC Settings
Adjust Power Settings
Click I want to turn off this device when not in use
- this next one is not important, but I have "a Button on the remote for on, and a different button for off".

My Device needs more then one command to turn it on and off.
- First one that comes up is power on, i left that
- Then the shutdown comes on, pick the above, my device needs more then one command to etc...

Then once you hit next a drop down menu appears.

I pick End then Enter.

I can confirm this works, and my system completely shutsdown along with my other equipment when I hit my "off" button.

Now only if i can get it to power on, without using a keyboard stroke.

Thanks, I will give this a shot and see if it works. It will be a little simpler than the way I am doing it currently.

I think though that you have to be in certain menus and not others for the 'end' key to exit XBMC.

If I'm in movie wall view, I'm pretty sure that 'end' just jumps to the end of the list, it doesn't exit XBMC at all.

Anyways, it is worth looking into.

I still wish that there was a way to hack Windows so that when it sees the "standby" or whatever the power off command is come in via IR that it can be made to simply shut down the PC instead, would solve the issue completely at that point.
eskro Wrote:i dont have to exit XBMC at all...
its weird that u have to.

the only explanation that it does work for you the way u describe is that you dont run XBMC in full screen mode. my understanding is that the shortcut on the desktop trick wont work when you are in another fullscreen application
voip-ninja Wrote:Thanks, I will give this a shot and see if it works. It will be a little simpler than the way I am doing it currently.

I think though that you have to be in certain menus and not others for the 'end' key to exit XBMC.

If I'm in movie wall view, I'm pretty sure that 'end' just jumps to the end of the list, it doesn't exit XBMC at all.

Anyways, it is worth looking into.

I still wish that there was a way to hack Windows so that when it sees the "standby" or whatever the power off command is come in via IR that it can be made to simply shut down the PC instead, would solve the issue completely at that point.

I'm pretty sure this worked in every menu. Even in Movie mode, but i will need to check again. If anything, I do know that if I play a movie and I hit the back button, the shutdown mode works from there.
voip-ninja Wrote:the only explanation that it does work for you the way u describe is that you dont run XBMC in full screen mode. my understanding is that the shortcut on the desktop trick wont work when you are in another fullscreen application

i run XBMC in True Full Screen
For me EventGhost is still the best option.

So I can use the Harmony off button to shutdown the pc, tv and avr.

Also its really nice to set EG as shell so the PC boots directly to XBMC and doesnt even start the explorer.
eskro Wrote:i run XBMC in True Full Screen

Then you probably aren't running XBMC on Windows 7.

There are tons of threads for Windows 7 about shortcuts not launching correctly with keyboard codes.

I certainly can't get it to work and I have spent literally hours screwing with it.
TeKo Wrote:For me EventGhost is still the best option.

So I can use the Harmony off button to shutdown the pc, tv and avr.

Also its really nice to set EG as shell so the PC boots directly to XBMC and doesnt even start the explorer.

I looked into EventGhost at one point and even loaded it on a laptop to screw around with it. Seemed like way too much effort to set it up, the software is overly complex IMO.
voip-ninja Wrote:Then you probably aren't running XBMC on Windows 7.

There are tons of threads for Windows 7 about shortcuts not launching correctly with keyboard codes.

I certainly can't get it to work and I have spent literally hours screwing with it.

im definitely on win7 x64
voip-ninja Wrote:I looked into EventGhost at one point and even loaded it on a laptop to screw around with it. Seemed like way too much effort to set it up, the software is overly complex IMO.

i agree, my EventGHOST alternative is KeyEXTENDER!! noob proof!! FTW!!

Smile
sorry, when i set mine my harmony, it would be S then Enter. Instead of End and Enter and it works wherever you are able to hit S to come up.
  • 27(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote?3