[AppleTV1] "Allow Hardware Acceleration" Option Disappeared
This on build 2cf4630.

I installed the CHD chip a few weeks ago, modified the Launcher menu so I could install the drivers, which I did, enabled Hardware Acceleration in the Video settings and all was well.

I was gone for a week and on the first 720p video I played on my return I experienced stuttering playback and out of sync audio and video. At first I figured it was a bad encode, but when I checked the Video Settings menu the "Allow Hardware Acceleration" option had disappeared.

Rebooted the ATV. Still gone.

Reinstalled the drivers. Still gone.

Rebooted and it appeared again.

Any ideas what could have made that option disappear?
Get some dmesg and lspci output
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Get some dmesg and lspci output

Thank you. I learned a bit from trying to figure out what dmesg and lspci are. I'm sure they would both be useful if my CHD ever goes missing again.

My ATV has dmesg, but not lspci.

How do I install lspci? My guess is that it has to be built on a Mac running 10.4, which I don't have. Is there a binary available somewhere?
sorry lspci is available to Crystalbuntu users only. But dmesg will tell you if the broadcom device is there: dmesg | grep Broadcom
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:sorry lspci is available to Crystalbuntu users only. But dmesg will tell you if the broadcom device is there: dmesg | grep Broadcom

Code:
-bash-2.05b$ sudo dmesg | grep Broadcom
Password:
BroadcomCrystalHD closed
BroadcomCrystalHD opened
BroadcomCrystalHD closed
BroadcomCrystalHD opened
BroadcomCrystalHD closed

So, I guess it's there and working...
So, I installed build 31113d1. As soon as I restarted XBMC (from the Launcher) I see that there is no "Allow Hardware Acceleration" option.

The only way to get it back was to reinstall the driver (from the Launcher) and reboot the AppleTV.

Does that mean that every time you install a new build you have to reinstall the CHD drivers and reboot the ATV?
no this should not be the case, perhaps your driver was corrupted?
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:no this should not be the case, perhaps your driver was corrupted?

I've had to reinstall the driver twice in the last week.

How do I go about finding out why it is getting corrupted?
could be your HDD drive going bad. There's probably a way to just copy over a disk utility program that's compatible with mac os 10.4 and then launch it on the ATV1. Make sure you have mouse support installed, plug in a usb mouse, and it should work. That would let you check for drive errors.
^Thanks.
Try Crystalbuntu, how is accleration in that?
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Try Crystalbuntu, how is accleration in that?

Beyond my technical ability. I looked at the docs at stmlabs.com and I have no idea where to begin.
Lol surely not? When I made that I made it as easy as possible. There is a simple UI installer for Linux and Windows
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Lol surely not? When I made that I made it as easy as possible. There is a simple UI installer for Linux and Windows

And, therein lies the problem. I live in a house full of Macs. Not a Linux or Windows machine in sight.
Buadhai Wrote:And, therein lies the problem. I live in a house full of Macs. Not a Linux or Windows machine in sight.

linux livecd Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV1] "Allow Hardware Acceleration" Option Disappeared0